X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Favorite Dracula version...

What's your favorite version of Dracula and what more obscure ones do you like?...
    Last edited by Spawn67; Sep 29, '16, 11:44 AM.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Dracula 1979 with Frank Langella...it's an underrated masterpiece of gothic horror.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 29, '16, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

For me it's always been the three "L"s... Lugosi, Lee and Langella, in that order. Those are my three favourite movie versions of Dracula.

I also quite like Jack Palance's portrayal.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Please don't say Carlos Villarias. Despite him being in the superior Dracula film (over Bela Lugosi's)...that doesn't mean he was the better Dracula, as he was laughable with those exaggerated wide eyes, stupid grin, and those jumbo ears. Spanish version film better...but Lugosi, the much superior Dracula.

Great Dracula...

The opposite of great...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Aside from the already mentioned...I also liked Gary Oldman's portrayal. Loved both Max Schreck and Klaus Kinski (if we are going to include Nosferatu) as well. Lastly, shout out to William Marshall's Blackula too.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

If I were forced to just pick one...and only one...my favorite Dracula actor would be Christopher Lee.
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Dracula 1979. My all time favorite Dracula movie.

Originally posted by Hector
              Spanish version film better...but Lugosi, the much superior Dracula.
              I agree. The Spanish version was the better film but the American version had better leads and not just Lugosi. Dwight Frye was brilliant as Renfield.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

For most obscure I think Deafula has to win

m

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

This is a hard call for me, but I really do like Lugosi despite the staginess of the film. There're things to admire in nearly every portrayal, though--even when the film itself falls short. Lee was never given a really solid Drac film IMO, ach, I dream of him in "Brides..." though Meister is fine as rewritten.

My guilty pleasure: The BBC version with Louis Jourdan.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• daz71
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2014

christopher lee.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                      Custom Mego Maker
                      • Jun 3, 2007

Bela Legosi and Gary Oldman.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                        • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                        If I were forced to just pick one...and only one...my favorite Dracula actor would be Christopher Lee.
                        Same here - Lee is my personal favorite.
                        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

I'm all about the technicolor Hammer stuff... Christopher Lee for me.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

This is like choosing a favorite child. Most of the well known adaptations have their own spin, and something wonderful to offer. You can't dismiss Lugosi's performance even if the 1931 production is dated. You have to really forget all the Dracula imagery and parody to truly appreciate what he brought to the role. It's easy to underappreciate Lugosi, because, let's face it, he IS everyone's baseline concept of Dracula.

Discovering Hammer when I was in college was just a treat. I couldn't believe my good fortune to stumble upon them, as TNT aired a Hammer marathon when Coppola's Dracula was being promoted. The color, the scores, Lee's commanding performance... and all the sequels. I look back on my journey into the world of Hammer with such fondness... I wish I could watch them all for the first time again.

Langella's Dracula was our generation's version. When cinema was bringing us the likes of Kong, and Superman, with big symphonic musical scores. The Gil Taylor photography and John Williams score really elevate that film. Vampire Mina really terrified me, and I always loved the final confrontation on the ship.

Coppola's Dracula is just a dizzying masterpiece, and a celebration of the history of cinematic photography and film technique. I had never heard of Oldman before that film, and he really brought something unique and new.

You can't go wrong with any of those.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Righteous post ^^^^^^^
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢