Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To open, or not to open MOC...that is the question!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

To open, or not to open MOC...that is the question!

I was having a discussion with the forum's own Lonnie this weekend over a deep philosophical question:

After searching in vain for ages for a carded but bubble-damaged/opened Star Trek Aliens Talos figure, and after missing one recently on auction with the bubble cut open because it was more than I wanted to pay for an opened one, I managed to pick up a totally sealed Talos for less than the opened one went for. Hooray!

The whole idea, though, was that I be able to take it out of the package to fully experience the joy of playing with it. The bubble is actually cracked up near the top on the right side, with a small hole in it...and down at the feet of the figure, it is of course loose from the card and has cracks in it there too. Just a little more damage and I could probably remove the figure. But do I do it? Or do I leave it sealed as-is, put it up on the wall, and wait for a truly semi-opened one to show up?

Lonnie's verdict was clear: don't spoil a sealed figure by opening it; wait for an unsealed one.

I'm torn. On one hand, I agree with Lonnie and I feel like sealed figures should be preserved for those who are still seeking them out.

On the other hand, I'm tired of searching for an already-opened Talos. I feel like I've finally received the long-delayed Christmas present I never got to have, and that I should be able to have the full "out of box experience" I missed out on when I was a kid...especially since I don't plan to ever sell it. What is a Mego Trek collector to do?

First world problems, to be sure.

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI
  • Toyman_Chris
    70's Era Pimp
    • Sep 7, 2011

I will trade you my open Talos for your carded one.

Problems. I solve them.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

if you are never going to sell it open it.

Comment

• scoth70
        Persistent Member
        • Oct 17, 2008

why not show us pictures of the talos ? and maybe we can decide for you

its not talos but I got a buzz when opened these
        the opening of a sealed case of mego action jacksons 12 figures in total mint seing daylight first time in almost 40 years made in the 1970s .... op...

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
          I will trade you my open Talos for your carded one.

Problems. I solve them.
          Tempting! Of course, you'd have to give me a little extra to make up for the difference in value on a sealed one...which might kill the deal.

As long as your Talos was still mint and the package in good shape, I'd probably consider it.

--SKot

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
            70's Era Pimp
            • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by SKotK
            Tempting! Of course, you'd have to give me a little extra to make up for the difference in value on a sealed one...which might kill the deal.

As long as your Talos was still mint and the package in good shape, I'd probably consider it.

--SKot
            PM Sent.

Comment

• SKotK
              Career Member
              • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by scoth70
              why not show us pictures of the talos ? and maybe we can decide for you
              For now, here's a couple of the auction photos:

Talos 1.jpg

That's the overall look of the card & bubble.

Talos 2.jpg

And here you can see the hole in the top of the bubble, as well as how the bubble is torn back at the bottom.

Originally posted by scoth70
              its not talos but I got a buzz when opened these
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HQQDFMKHqk
              Now that's what I call case-fresh! What a rush that had to be.

I opened a sealed Kenner Star Wars Patrol Dewback in the late 90s, and it was so fulfilling. But once I'd done it, I didn't really feel the need to open any more sealed Kenner Star Wars stuff. Especially now, when the difference is in thousands of dollars rather than fifty or maybe a few hundred at most.

--SKot

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                70's Era Pimp
                • Sep 7, 2011

I just grabbed mine out of the case and realized he has a stain on his butt. Darn!

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

That's why Talosians shouldn't eat Tacos.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Chris, that's probably cleanable. What is it with Talos? I need a minty one, too.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SKotK
                      Career Member
                      • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                      That's why Talosians shouldn't eat Tacos.
                      "The tortilla contains a nourishing protein complex, they said. Why did I have to wear the *yellow* jumpsuit today?"

Of course, you don't have to worry about that when you're a Brown Bear.

--SKot
                      Last edited by SKotK; Sep 27, '16, 3:49 PM.

Comment

• scoth70
                        Persistent Member
                        • Oct 17, 2008

mmmm what to do.....

well id say if the bubble has splits and your going to keep it id make a neat as you can cut on the bubble to take him out .... and first thing id be itching to to do is turn his head straight

Originally posted by SKotK
                        For now, here's a couple of the auction photos:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19521[/ATTACH]

That's the overall look of the card & bubble.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19522[/ATTACH]

And here you can see the hole in the top of the bubble, as well as how the bubble is torn back at the bottom.

Now that's what I call case-fresh! What a rush that had to be.

I opened a sealed Kenner Star Wars Patrol Dewback in the late 90s, and it was so fulfilling. But once I'd done it, I didn't really feel the need to open any more sealed Kenner Star Wars stuff. Especially now, when the difference is in thousands of dollars rather than fifty or maybe a few hundred at most.

--SKot

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Head turned to the side gives the figure character. I like it that way.

Comment

• scoth70
                            Persistent Member
                            • Oct 17, 2008

lol hes got plenty of character ..... heads turned arms legs bent in packaged items gloves fallen of etc really bug me :(((((((((

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            Head turned to the side gives the figure character. I like it that way.

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

You know what I think...MOC value? What's that?

A few weeks ago I opened and assembled a brand new $600 Castle Grayskull.

It. Was. Amazing.

Pretty much the only thing that could top it is Emily Blunt showing up naked at my doorstep. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎