X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 47: Roddy McDowall

Our latest show is a tribute to one of our favourite actors and certainly somebody that requires no introduction to any child of the 1970s.

Episode 47 is all about Roddy McDowall, although we purposely sidestep Planet of the Apes, mostly because we do whole shows on that topic any way and also because the guy had a pretty incredible career on top of being Galen/Cornelius/Caesar.

We chat his various television series like Tales of the Gold Monkey and Fantastic Journey and his incredible amount of guest spots on shows like Batman, Columbo, Quantum Leap and even Pinkey and the Brain.

And of course, we discuss films like Fright Night, The Black Hole and the Legend of Hell House among others.

Hit us up on our facebook page and tell us what your favourite Roddy McDowall role is!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Woot new episode!

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Nice choice for a topic.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Kudos to you, Sirs, for saluting Mr. McDowall. And check him out on youtube singing "The Seven Deadly Virtues" from Camelot.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I love how Pod Stallion addresses the synergy of character actors and pop-culture tropes. That has really driven my later appreciation of classic films and performers.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

Roddy McDowall has long been a favorite.

I remember The Zany Adventures of Robin Hood from when I was little. I was excited by the idea of new Robin Hood on TV and thrilled Tom Baker was in it. Then I saw it, and...that was it? I remember seeing it again a few years later on a snow day out from school, and I realized Baker's Sir Guy and McDowall's Prince John were the best things in it. Interestingly enough, IMDB credits McDowall as playing Prince John in a musical program, The Legend of Robin Hood, from 1968. And while it's not quite a nerd role, he was delightful as Ariel in the Hallmark Hall of Fame The Tempest from 1960.

Thanks for another great trip down your memory lane.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Looking forward to listening to it!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• acrovader
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2011

I always liked Roddy McDowall. Check out 'Legend of Hell House'.
                I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

I always learn something when I listen to the podcast. Today I learned that Roddy McDowall and Malcolm McDowell are-- in fact-- two different people. You can look it up, but its true!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

As a child I loved him in POTA and I would look for him in his TV guest appearances. Fantasy Island was my favorite.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

It is one of my favorites of his, his take on Norman Bates armed with a golem he controls.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

When I think of Roddy what stands out (and what I miss most about him) was his love of the craft. There was a child-like, inquisitive, enthusiasm in every part I ever saw him portray. You could tell he loved role playing. He loved digging into the motivations and quirks that made each of these characters unique. There was a kind of humanity he brought to these roles that gave these characters a richness and grandeur that was likely never envisioned on the written page. And his range was exceptional. Whether he was playing a injured bartender on the Poseidon Adventure or a renegade chimp in Apes, he had this incredible gift to emote from some place deep inside that gave those characters an earnest expression of life that made even the most outrageous character seem completely believable. And whether he played bit parts in comedies like Overboard or supporting roles like Peter Vincent in Fright Night, he instantly gave the story validity and made me feel like this story now had real value if he was part of the cast. He made every role special and I always felt like I was watching a unique performance no matter what the setting. Truly a one-of-a-kind artist and man.

Comment

• Spawn67
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 14, 2009

Ive always liked this very rare record. Roddy reading H.P. Lovecraft stories!
                          Check it out if youve never heard it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Great episode! There was a ton of stuff I had no idea about, and quite a bit I'd forgotten about, like Fantasy Island.

I watched The Legend of Hell House on TCM last year. Great film! I really need to see Fright Night again. It's been 25 years since I've seen it, easy.

As for a suggestion for your Halloween episode, how about AIP's 70s horror output?

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎