X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Hammer Horror 8 Film Collection Blu-ray

Just finished watching Brides of Dracula and Curse of the Werewolf...what an experience! I sincerely doubt these films ever looked this good, even in their initial release.

Brides of Dracula may be my new favorite Hammer Horror. It is just so beautifully lit and photographed...the colors are so lush and vivid, the details of the sets and costumes incredible to behold in HD. I really can't praise it enough.

Curse of the Werewolf isn't quite as sharp, but still looks better than it ever has. I'll be checking out Phantom of the Opera and Kiss of the Vampire tomorrow.

I cannot recommend this set enough...if you're a fan of classic horror, you really need to pick it up.
    You won't be disappointed.
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

i wonder why they can't make films look so nice today is it down to film stock or the way they used to light them.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by daz71
      i wonder why they can't make films look so nice today is it down to film stock or the way they used to light them.
      A little bit of both I suspect...another thing to consider is the style of film making during the Hammer period. Color films were really hitting their stride at this time, and film makers wanted you to actually SEE everything. That's my major complaint about so many of today's films. They're often so dark you can't see anything, and action sequences are so fast, overcrowded and/or shaky you can't really focus on what's going on.

Hammer films, for all their gore and spectacle, were still heavily focused on the actors and creating atmosphere.

Comment

• daz71
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2014

i know what you're saying about too dark ,when there is a long scene in total darkness rather than been scary it's just annoying.when action sequences are so fast you can miss what happens i've noticed that a lot in superhero films.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

This is on my to buy list. I'm hesitant to say this, but there are some criticisms of a few of the titles on this set over at blu-ray.com

If you really, really REALLY like Brides of Dracula and Curse of the Werewolf, it's recommended that you consider importing the German blu-rays. But then of course you would need an all Region Blu Ray player capable of playing foreign discs. I'm considering it, but still this set is a no-brainer at a reasonable price.

Brides truly is top shelf Hammer.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
            This is on my to buy list. I'm hesitant to say this, but there are some criticisms of a few of the titles on this set over at blu-ray.com

If you really, really REALLY like Brides of Dracula and Curse of the Werewolf, it's recommended that you consider importing the German blu-rays. But then of course you would need an all Region Blu Ray player capable of playing foreign discs. I'm considering it, but still this set is a no-brainer at a reasonable price.

Brides truly is top shelf Hammer.
            I just read through several pages of complaining about this set over at Blu-ray.com and frankly...it was sickening. People absolutely flipping out over aspect ratios and color timing...unbelievable. You'd think they would be grateful to enjoy such an embarrassment of riches with all these films being presented in crystal clear high-definition. I know I am. I thought the films looked amazing. Of course, I remember the days of watching them on a grainy black and white 19" television. So seeing them in crystal clear gorgeous color on a 52" screen...I'm in absolute heaven.
            And 8 films for a mere $40?

Trust me Andy, you'll enjoy the heck out of this set. It's worth every penny.
            Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 18, '16, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm with you, D--particularly since several Universal dvds, including this set--won't play properly for me.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

^Yep. I had the same problem with the DVD set which came out close to 10 years ago now I think. Universal had all kinds of issues with those flipper discs back in the day.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, my Kolchack set is crappy, too. My Monster legacy sets seem OK, though--I should rewatch them.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Oh, I know blu-ray.com is full of hyperbole in their reactions to things, but I've been considering an all-region player for some time now, and Brides is that good that I would consider getting the US set and then picking up the German release of Brides with the correct aspect ratio.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

For anyone on the fence, this is now down to only $30 on Amazon. Probably as low as it will go this season. I jumped on it.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

...And if anyone still needs the original Box Set of Universal monsters, that's down to $40

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cla...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎