Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

I took the plunge and purchased five new figures from the latest FTC DC series. I went with The Flash over Reverse Flash or Trickster because I plan to place a CTVT order and I needed to know what I might need to order so I can "fix" this figure and Batgirl too). In the package they all looked good, except The Flash, who clearly had a right shoulder issue. Out of the package? Yep, crappy FTC body. First in a while for me. As for the rest of The Flash?...

OMGoodness, FTC should be ashamed of themselves! Those boots are RIDICULOUS! When people said they were sticky or stuck together, there was no exaggeration. They actually STICK together! You have to pull them apart! To me, that makes them completely unusable. The rest of the figure is pretty decent. I did not have a red hands Flash, so now I do. The waist lightning bolt is definitely lower than the first FF Flash, so that's nice. I moved this Flash to a Type-S body (I had to move it somewhere!) and the velcro did cause the suit to snag a bit when it got caught on the velcro, but nothing I can't live with. I stole the SF Flash boots and once I shrink tube the red glove hands into the body, I will have my main Flash figure.

Shame that I had to replace the boots and the whole body to get a good Flash. I may email FTC on Monday at least about the bad body and see what their response is on it. The boots are just inexcusable. They will be going in the trash. My SF Flash has a black dirt stain/area on his costume, so I may as well order a suit for the suit and the boots to fix that figure... and make sure I open the other four figures to see if I need to add anything about those in my email to FTC.

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow, but if you don't mind paying $50+, you can get a pretty nice Flash figure.

FTC The Flash Series 1.jpg

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Seems like 30 bucks would be enough to get a good Flash figure. To me, it still looks bad, the suit is too big at the waist and the head looks off, a little big and something else I can't quite put to words, but it just looks off.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• darkbros
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by TRDouble
        [snipped because I got increasingly sadden as I read the meat of this]
        I will try and take some pictures tomorrow, but if you don't mind paying $50+, you can get a pretty nice Flash figure.
        $30 for FTC's Flash Figure
        $8 bucks shipping
        -----
        $38
        $ 10 Type S body
        $7 shipping
        -----
        $56
        $4 Yellow Superhero Boots ( as you didn't buy them before with the Flash Order)
        $7 shipping ( granted, this is hopefully spread out with ordering other things)
        -----
        $67 this would be closer to accurate

Suddenly, a Mattel RAH Flash, bought on amazon for $42 bucks and a Doc Mego $5 Swivel Arm Body
        doesn't looks like such a bad deal......That's what I was thinking of doing......geez, this is just wrong
        of CTVT on so many levels. At this point, they should just make ALL the Heads and Suits available
        for $12 a pop, $15 if you want boots, that way we could just get our own bodies and build for about >$25.
        That is RIDICULOUS to pay damn near $70 to get a "correct" 8inch figure...$30 more bucks and you start
        getting into MEZCO / DC Direct 12" territory.....
        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by darkbros
          $30 for FTC's Flash Figure
          $8 bucks shipping
          -----
          $38
          $ 10 Type S body
          $7 shipping
          -----
          $56
          $4 Yellow Superhero Boots ( as you didn't buy them before with the Flash Order)
          $7 shipping ( granted, this is hopefully spread out with ordering other things)
          -----
          $67 this would be closer to accurate

Suddenly, a Mattel RAH Flash, bought on amazon for $42 bucks and a Doc Mego $5 Swivel Arm Body
          doesn't looks like such a bad deal......That's what I was thinking of doing......geez, this is just wrong
          of CTVT on so many levels. At this point, they should just make ALL the Heads and Suits available
          for $12 a pop, $15 if you want boots, that way we could just get our own bodies and build for about >$25.
          That is RIDICULOUS to pay damn near $70 to get a "correct" 8inch figure...$30 more bucks and you start
          getting into MEZCO / DC Direct 12" territory.....

Well, my '+' was the shipping, which I left off because of I didn't want a bigger sticker shock, LOL, and it's subjective (I got free S/H on my Flash), but if you want the correct yellow molded winged boots to replace the sticky tack boots, you have to buy the Super Friends Flash suit, so change that $4 for Yellow Superhero boots to $10.

It's a very sobering thing to see when you add up all the money you have to spend to correct things that should not need correcting. At least if the FTC body is right, the Type-S body, or any replacement body, is a choice, not a necessity. The boots of course should not be a necessity. Too bad that FTC has stopped issuing the heads and costumes of newer figures as parts. My impatience never let me wait anyway, and it sucks to wait for that option just to fix figures you already paid full price for in the first place.

This figure is why I have become so picky or just skip figures I don't find a necessity for my collection.

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

Here are a few comparison pictures of The Flash Series 1 and FF Flash, both on Type-S bodies.

IMG_4271.jpg
            IMG_4272.jpg
            IMG_4273.jpg

The suits are definitely put together a little differently (most know that the new Flash on the left is using the SF Flash's boots with comic insignia). Lighting belt is lower, but not as much as I though before I put them side-by-side. New Flash has lighter yellow on the costume too, along with a turtle neck that doesn't come all the way up like the FF Flash. The FF Flash costume is tighter in the waist too, which I think I like better.

I liked the gloves on the FF Flash, but I have to say that now, the red hands look much nicer. But I wish FTC used standard hands that are red instead of the weird red glove hands.

I should finally open my Mattel Flash and do a side-by-side-by-side comparison.
            Last edited by TRDouble; May 14, '17, 7:03 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

The other Flash Series 1 figure that I purchased was Captain Boomerang. Interesting figure. He is not the skinny dude on the card art, but a later, heftier version. The boots kind of add to that feel. Speaking of the costume...

The costume is interesting. The hat could be a tad bit bigger, but too much so and we will have a Gilligan hat mess on our hands again. I think the hat can be sticky tacked into place and work just fine. Maybe cut off a piece of The Flash's boot?... kidding! Again, FTC opts for a lighter shade than the card art too. Otherwise, the top boomerang printed top looks good. The short sleeves and the peg gloves are not an issue either. Looks good. The scarf is a bit thick and doesn't hang well, given the material, but it works. The belt is the same material and Velcros in the back for a nice fit. The black pants are also a good fit to the figure. Now, the fun part...

The boots. It's another interesting design by FTC (see: Batman Series 5 Batgirl). So, it's a pair of soft black boots (similar to The Flash and Reverse-Flash, but with a heel) with slip over blue covers that have elastic bands on them. There is definitely some thought and design behind this boot design. But it makes them quite bulky. Why not just use the Batman Series 5 Batman boots? The colors match perfectly. Maybe FTC did not think they were tall enough, or were there issues because they used the full length black pants on him? What is here is not bad, and the design matches the source material, but it seemed like something they didn't necessarily have to do. Even on the front card art you cannot tell Boomerang has blue shinguards on.

I think they nailed the head sculpt. The left eye looks a bit sloppy or dark in the picture, but in person, it's fine.

Here are my pictures:
              FTC Captain Boomerang 4.jpg
              FTC Captain Boomerang 2.jpg
              FTC Captain Boomerang 3.jpg

Boomerang and The Flash (on a Type S body):
              FTC Captain Boomerang & The Flash.jpg

And Boomerang with a pair of Castaway-type boots, a shade too dark:
              FTC Captain Boomerang 5.jpg

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

Almost forgot! Sticky boots!
                IMG_4303.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Boomerang is a decent figure, but I wonder why FTC didn't do a molded silicone garrison cap for him--they could have reused that mold easily.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• darkbros
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 3, 2012

I should finally open my Mattel Flash and do a side-by-side-by-side comparison.
                    Yes Please!!!
                    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20731[/ATTACH]
                      This is hilarious. FTC should be ashamed.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        This is hilarious. FTC should be ashamed.
                        But they probably aren't. Imagine how tacky they are in the warehouse in Oldsmar, FL.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• greensavage2000
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 9, 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20731[/ATTACH]
                          All I can think of now is how I've got to get home and play Dirty Boots by Sonic Youth. Only I will sing Sticky Boots evermore. Thanks for the reviews and pics. It's very appreciated.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

I've cobbled together a Flash with a swivel arm body, Fist Fighter head, Mattel suit, and Super Friends "sticky boots" (mine aren't too bad). I just need to dig out some red hands or get some ordered to finally have something very close to the Flash I've always wanted.

With all that has been made over the last several years, I've enjoyed mixing and matching to come up with figures that take the best of this part from this and that to make something close to what I really wanted all along.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              But they probably aren't. Imagine how tacky they are in the warehouse in Oldsmar, FL.
                              No, they are not. I was told to wash them. Seriously. They said the boots can be washed because they are made out of a sticky substance and to try that first and let them know how I make out.

I was also told that the popped out shoulder can be moved right back into place very easily and to please try that

It's harder and harder to order these, but when they hit the mark, they hit it pretty good. Or, in the case of Batgirl, close enough where I like it.

Maybe I will forgo the free shipping for large orders and just order through Amazon.com. Nice, easy returns on the bad stuff.

I may try the boot washing just for the fun of it...

Comment

• TRDouble
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by greensavage2000
                                All I can think of now is how I've got to get home and play Dirty Boots by Sonic Youth. Only I will sing Sticky Boots evermore. Thanks for the reviews and pics. It's very appreciated.
                                You are welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎