• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

maybe yellow tool dip?

Originally posted by jeffbearco
    I got the Flash figure this week. The costume actually turned out OK. The belt is in position properly. I did take the waistline in about 1/8 inch on either side since he looked a bit chubby.

The boots. Yes, they are sticky. They pick up any stray string or dust or hair. I've tried using Goof Off and after that Mineral Spirits. Both took away the shine and stickiness briefly but as soon as they dried, they went sticky again.

So, now I'm trying painting over them with another layer of paint specific to softer plastics. I'll update this to let you know if the new paint fixes it.

Update: New paint did not fix it. Even more sticky. Stripped that off using mineral spirits again. That did take the stickiness away for a while, but this morning they are back to being sticky. Flash was stuck to the shelf he was on. Nothing I used took them back to the original red. The paint they used does seem to be permanent and perpetually sticky. joyous. I guess I could roll them in gold glitter. LOL

JeffBearCO
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• drogge
      Career Member
      • Jul 24, 2009

Is this Flash different from the other two Flash releases?

Comment

• tiinacat
        Museum Patron
        • Feb 4, 2015

yes
        1st flash release molded gloves (fist fighter)
        2nd flash red hands regular Mego boots
        3rd flash (SF - show appropriate)
        4th flash horrible paint app on molded boots but suit changed a bit and looks better red hands posted them over on the Facebook pages

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Boomerang in hand. Not horrible, but so needlessly flawed. It really showcases IMO how poor FTC's design team/production planning must be. They are trying to add extra details to make these "deluxe" figures but the execution is poor and loses the Mego vibe. Then, they continue to maintain certain elements (short sleeves!) that didn't look good forty years ago. It's mystifying. My review:

*Head: Decent size and sculpt, the paint is poor. The hat, while well-intentioned and decently-made, is a fail IMO. The cap could have been sculpted for a much better effect. It worked for Penguin and Mxyzptlk.

*Tunic: Excellent, but with short sleeves. I hate this. Hey FTC: cut the sleeves 3/8-1/2-inch longer and leave them unhemmed--the effect with the molded gloves will be perfect. Duh. Scarf is OK, but they could have used the softer, drapable scarves they already carry. The belt is chintzy, self-lined and hemmed would have improved it a lot.

* Gloves: Should be black, but otherwise I'm fine with these. That said, I'd be just as satisfied with colored hands and cuffed sleeves, which would have addressed the sleeve-length snafu.

*Pants: This is where things get bizarre. The pants have detailed sewn-in trunks that no-one can see and are not per-se in character. Why spend the production time/money on this, when FTC already offer black tights??!!

*Boots: Again, bizarre. The pleather-and-elastic shin guards are an expensive detail that, again well-intentioned, just don't look good. FTC has two other boots they could have easily used to better effect. If they were hell-bent on the shin-guard/straps detail, that could have been painted on, though possibly stickily.

*Weapon: None, unfortunately.

Of course anyone can say this is all arm-chair quarterbacking. But I have a good knowledge of the effort involved in adding soft-goods detailing. I believe FTC could have saved $$ on the hat, pants, and boots while tweaking the sleeves, scarf, and belt to produce an altogether less expensive, more attractive, and more "Mego" Boomerang figure.

That hat and shin-guard money could also have gone towards a boomerang accessory--think about it.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 1, '17, 7:54 AM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Well, if there wasn't the sleeve cheat, I would have bought him and Trickster. I am sure there are others that feel the same so it didn't really save money when it cost them sales.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Trickster's sleeves are designed pretty properly and are the right length.

But I know what you mean. It's such an easy (and simpler/cheaper for the factory) fix. And the look of the figure, especially in posing, would be much-improved. I won't even get started on the 6 1/2" Teen Titans.

And I would also argue that FTC is not saving any $$ on short sleeves/leggings. It takes extra labor to press and hem those edges. They could be left raw and cut slightly longer to tuck into the gloves/boots. The knit they're using is pretty fray-resistant, so hemming is not mandatory.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 1, '17, 8:26 AM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

It's funny to read "the Mego Vibe" in all my years of doing this, I'm not sure we as a group agree on what that is.

Some think it should always be 1974 with removable cowl everything, others want Green Arrow type figures and another contingent wants an 8 inch Hot Toy for under $20.

I'm in the Green Arrow camp myself....
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I'm over the Mego Vibe, I just want more figures done as well as Batman 66 without corners cut or heads overblown.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

It is funny how "the Mego vibe" means something different to everyone. But yeah, Green Arrow, Thor, and Green Goblin are what I think of.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I was thinking about this question last night. It's a nice distraction when I'm mentally fried after a long day.

You're right a lot comes down to nostalgia period. I have no connection to RMs or oven mitts, so I was first surprised by those who do. 1975 to me is the peak, but Mego was obviously trying evolve past that in body design.

I thought FTC was onto something with the JLA fist fighters. It was that nice blend that felt like where Mego would have gone with a WGSH relaunch.

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                        It's funny to read "the Mego Vibe" in all my years of doing this, I'm not sure we as a group agree on what that is.

Some think it should always be 1974 with removable cowl everything, others want Green Arrow type figures and another contingent wants an 8 inch Hot Toy for under $20.

I'm in the Green Arrow camp myself....
                        Me too!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding the "Mego vibe": Yes to GA. That's a top-level figure for me. Iron man is marred only by the sleeves, but I think that whole wave is special.

And honestly, I'm not bashing anyone who likes short sleeves or oven-mitts. I'm just bemused by some decisions FTC chooses to make.

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

When I think of Mego Vibe I think of the overall line, from when I originally started ( AJ) to when I originally quit ( Star Trek).
                            When I think of the Mego Bar ( meaning their top notch and what FTC should try to meet and surpass) then yes I think FF, Thor, GG, GA and Conan.

Sadly, FTC will always stand for "Freaking Total Crapshoot", because that's what you get with their offerings, being so hit or miss.

When the most newbie customizer can make a better figure that you can, and your a RETAIL company, that should be your "Slaps head V-8" moment.
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Mego vibe to me would be definitely Green Arrow and Thor, with Batman and Robin a close second.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎