• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K
    Fun Will Now Commence
    • Jun 20, 2001

Jim Rockford v2 with Firebird Esprit!

Hi, Everyone.

First customs post from my tablet...hope it goes okay.

I first did a Jim Rockford custom back in 2008. Here's the link to that:

Hello, Everyone. Here is my latest creation...one I've wanted to do for quite awhile. I never watched The Rockford Files as a kid, but I saw a few stray episodes a few years ago on TV Land and I really liked the show. I got all the DVD sets (I'll post my review of Season 5 in the General Buzz in a moment) and I've really

I was happy with it overall, but was fairly new to customs and sculpting and I always wanted a bit more definition in his face, especially nose and lower jaw. When I did my Tank Sullivan (James Garner's character in Space Cowboys) awhile back,I added in more jaw definition and it made me want to revisit Jim Rockford even more.

BUUUUTTTTTT.......the lure of the Firebird Esprit beckoned. I searched for a 1/9 scale car, but the Processed Plastics, Inc. firebirds posed several issues:

1. they're not made to accommodate figures
    2. they can be pricey on eBay and other sources
    3. they often have been well played with and many are in rough condition
    4. they didn't make a 1978 model; only a 1979. James Garner reportedly got new Firebirds for The Rockford Files but the last few years of the show, he stuck with the 1978 because he disliked the 1979 model. This is just one more reason I love the guy. LOL! I agree with him whole heartedly.

Here is a photo of the car as I received it:

Please be gentle with your crtiticisms of the car. I feel vulnerable and sensitive. HAHAHA. Actually, I had to transform it from a 1979 Trans Am into a 1978 Firebird, armed only with a dust mask, dremel, sand paper, modeling putty, and paint. Lots of paint. And patience. Lots of....er....a bit of patience.

I made two Jim Rockford v 2.0 figures in the hope of giving one as a gift. I tried to improve upon the 2008 version with better fitting clothes and a Type S body rather than an original Type 2 Mego body. Clothing fits more tightly on Type S bodies, as you all know, so they border on being a bit too tight, but they don't hinder poseability. I liked my original backer card and used it again with the exception of changing "The Rockford Files" from white letters matching the start of the show (where you see the playing cards and hear the answering machine message) to black italicized letters matching the DVD sets for the show. The backer card colors on version 2 figures are a bit greener due to a new and generic inkjet cartridge.

Carded figures, front, version 2 figures flank version 1 figure in center:

Carded figures, back:

Head comparisons and closeups:

Jim Rockfords with the infamous Firebird Esprit. I ordered automotive paint *the* color of Jim Rockford's car (although some say James Garner had the color tweaked a bit).

You can see in the photos that one Jimbo is hogging the Esprit! LOL!

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by K; Sep 11, '16, 7:08 PM. Reason: Edited to add: FORGOT link to 2008 Jim Rockford!
    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

I think it looks pretty great! The car looks awesome!
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

what a fantastic job everything about the car the figures is perfect .the clothes fit well and look great.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Awesome. Loved the figure before... but even better with the car!

What did you end up doing about point #1? Looks like you figured out some way to make it accommodate your figure.

Comment

• K
          Fun Will Now Commence
          • Jun 20, 2001

^ Thanks, collectively, folks. You all made my evening with your kind words.

Sprytel: a bit of sleight of hand. I removed part of the driver's seat so the figure's butt dips down further and also hinged the roof to put the figure in from above, rather than cramming him through the window. Otherwise the figure didn't have enough headroom to fit.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Looks awesome, great work on those.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• TomStrong
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2011

I love all of this so much! This is one of my favorite shows. Great customs man, this totally made my night

Comment

• Riderfan
                Megos are cool
                • Feb 14, 2012

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone, leave your name and message. I'll get back to you. [Beep]"

Very nice!

K
                I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• fallensaviour
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 28, 2006

Excellent custom,now I need the car for my Rockford...lol
                  “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Grimjohn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 28, 2011

Awesome! Magnificent! Brilliant! Genius! Fantastic! You already had me with version 1 of Jim but, now I am in absolute awe with two version 2s AND Jim's iconic Firebird. I love, love, love The Rockford Files and I just love the meticulous details of your customs - yes, I noticed the 853 OKG license plate!

PS - I would still love to have a cast of his head.
                    My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• K
                      Fun Will Now Commence
                      • Jun 20, 2001

Thanks to all. And fallensavior: if you do make a Rockford car, be sure to protect those lungs. LOL! This project was meeesssssssy!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

This is that time of year that I bug you to sell me one of those heads:-) I have the gold version of the Processed Plastics TA collecting dust with plans to do the same thing. I love the project, the car sets it off. Are you going to branch out into any of the supporting characters?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I had totally forgotten it before, but I think I had that Firebird!

Great customs! I can hear the theme song in my head, so you nailed it!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

That came out awesome, Jim and his car never looked better, no worries on not fitting in the car, figure looks cool standing
                            next to it, I can hear the theme music now.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

Cool! Always love when makers get their hands dirty in the name of Mego.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎