X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Painting Eyes and Hair on Vinyl

I have a FTC black hair Conan face, he has blue eyes and I want to pant them brown for a custom project.
    I'm no expert or steady hand on painting, especially tricky spots like eye pupils, any ideas on how to do this without ruining it? I'm thinking a toothpick with acrylic paint, but with this being on vinyl I'm not sure it would dry properly would it stay sticky?

I also want to paint the white hair and beard on the FTC Kit Carson head (yellow) would acrylic paint
    work or would it stay sticky?

Thanks.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm no expert on this, I find eyes difficult to paint myself. But...

*Eye decals are an option, megowgsh uses them on his customs with good results.
    *A toothpick works well for pupils and corrections.
    *Small brushes called "spotters" are available for fine details, you can get good ones at art/hobby stores.
    *Acrylics work fine on vinyl and dry properly. You may find it useful to thin the paint with some water or clear extender/sealer to apply it more easily. And you should be able to paint acrylics over existing paint, I have for touch-ups.

There's some debate here about brands of paint. I've used some cheaper craft ones, but they don't always cover well. I've used Tamiya brand, too, it's great.

Hopefully lilbrosjoe will chime in, he's done some fantastic eye repainting and posted it here.

One other suggestion: If you plan to have a figure wear a hat, you might be better off to strip off the original hair paint and repaint it with vinyl paint, which bonds to the vinyl head. The hat can mar an acrylic repaint.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 3, '16, 3:04 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Spray Paint for large surfaces (i.e. flesh & hair). Acrylic paints for small details (i.e. eyebrows, eyes, etc.).

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Acrylic paint works just fine on vinyl, but it is very easy to rub off. For eyes this shouldn't be a problem. I'd still do it for the beard too, as long as the figure isn't regularly played with. Actually, I enjoy painting vinyl because it is really easy to "erase" your mistakes with a web paper towel.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Thanks folks for the advise, wasn't to sure on the acrylic paint but I'll give it a try and see how it turns out,
          hopefully I can keep a steady hand when doing the eye pupils, should be fun....I think?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Magnifying glass...

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡