Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did a movie ever creep you out to the point of being uncomfortable watching it ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Back in '70s in my sixth grade English class we saw a short film adaptation of Shirley Jackson's story 'The Lottery'. I had no idea what it was about and it creeped me out big time! More than any horror movie or scary movie ever did.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

^ Great adaptation.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        ^ Great adaptation.
        It certainly is! I did some checking. It was made in 1969 as part of a series of short story adaptations made by Encyclopedia Britanica. In that same English class we saw some other films in the series including a great adaptation of "Bartleby".
        The 1969 version of The Lottery is on YouTube.
        Last edited by phil; Aug 4, '18, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Them/Ils really unsettled me, I've never rewatched it.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

I dont know if anything really disturbs me much, these days. Years ago, Cronenberg's Squirm made it impossible to sleep with my legs apart for years. The THING disturbed me a lot and occupied space in my head for years. I walked out of Natural Born Killers in the theatre when the laugh track with Rodney Dangerfield's scene came on but more because I thought it was trash but I think that probably counts as me being too uncomfortable to watch it.

Comment

• Allie Fox
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 1, 2009

Requiem for a Dream. Start to finish this film is squirm inducing. Not because of gore or blood but rather the terrible situations the characters are put into. The end is totally depressing.

Blue Velvet is another in a similar vein. Just awful although I can watch Blue Velvet every few years just because of Hopper''s brilliant performance.

Anything by Lars Von Trier. Nymphomaniac I and II in particular.
              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I know it's not a horror movie. But for me, when I was little, it was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. That movie is messed up. I can't see how that movie is not nightmare fuel for kids. Creepy as hell.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                  Requiem for a Dream. Start to finish this film is squirm inducing. Not because of gore or blood but rather the terrible situations the characters are put into. The end is totally depressing.
                  That's a good one. I'll never forget, watching it with my wife and mother-in-law (!), as we knew nothing of the film at all. I was completely embarrassed. There was dead silence during many scenes.

Speaking of my mother-in-law, she loves movies about nuclear war. (I know, weird, right?). She likes the drama of seeing humanity dealing with the unthinkable. (incidentally, she is salt of the earth... and has the biggest heart of anyone I know.). Anyways, we watched the British film THREADS together. Severin just released this on blu ray. Check it out if you want to see the most horrific, depressing, scar-you-for-life, feel bad movie of all time.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                    Wow, I just came back into this thread to mention this film because I forgot to before. I wanted to watch it because of Jennifer Connolly, but my god what a disturbing, depressing film. It's one of those films that you never feel the need to revisit.

Also in that catagory: Irreversible. I wanted to see this because of Monica Bellucci (gee, maybe I shouldn't just blindly watch films because they feature an actress I like ) but it is a very disturbing, uncomfortable film. Apparently director Gaspar Noe shot it and used sound/music in such a way to make the viewer feel even more uncomfortable, working on a subliminal level. Warning to potential viewers: some graphic violence and an intense rape scene.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                      Speaking of my mother-in-law, she loves movies about nuclear war. (I know, weird, right?). She likes the drama of seeing humanity dealing with the unthinkable. (incidentally, she is salt of the earth... and has the biggest heart of anyone I know.). Anyways, we watched the British film THREADS together. Severin just released this on blu ray. Check it out if you want to see the most horrific, depressing, scar-you-for-life, feel bad movie of all time.
                      Just saw that this was added to Shudder. Gonna watch right-quick!
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

I saw Salem's lot when I was in my early teens. freaked me out. Bizarre movie.
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                          Just saw that this was added to Shudder. Gonna watch right-quick!
                          Before you watch Threads, brace yourself. You've been warned. Plan time outside with family afterwards. You may need a classic Disney cartoon or a favorite comedy to follow it.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                            I saw Salem's lot when I was in my early teens. freaked me out. Bizarre movie.
                            Salem's Lot changed me forever, on a DNA level.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                              Before you watch Threads, brace yourself. You've been warned. Plan time outside with family afterwards. You may need a classic Disney cartoon or a favorite comedy to follow it.
                              Actually, when I saw the image of the Traffic Warden, which has become ubiquitous, I remembered having read up on this movie before.

And trust me, it takes A LOT to unnerve me. A lot. But I will gladly own up to any discomfort I may feel upon viewing.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Ivaniski
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jun 24, 2007

Beyond the Door....freaked me out as a kid. My favorite TV nanny became demonic.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎