X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

More CGC problems...

I've stated many times that I would NEVER EVER have a graded book in my personal collection because I personally don't understand why anyone would want a book sealed away forever to never have to be able to look at/read it again. Here is one more reason I would never have a CGC book in my personal collection:

Mind you that I heard about problems with the new slabbing technique that CGC...this is a book that was graded 3 years ago that is having MAJOR issues. If it was me I would have lost my mind and sued CGC...but alas I will never have that problem because there is and will never be a CGC or CBCS or PGX book graded in my collection. EVER!!! Sucks for this guys brother in the video. Somethings should just be left alone and taken care of in other ways like bagging and boarding and storing your books properly. Only books I have had graded are being sold. I've had 5 graded and I've sold 1 of those 5 books for a very nice profit. IMHO that's all CGC has been good for...but if this type of problem persists it will become completely useless and go back to, WAIT FOR IT, subjective grading between seller and buyer. What a concept First there was no written standards on the grading process and now they are damaging the books that are being graded by the company...does not bode well for this multi-million dollar company.
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

That guy What a nerd lol . I never been a fan of cgc books but they are there for internet sales and investment buyers. But not much else.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
      That guy What a nerd lol . I never been a fan of cgc books but they are there for internet sales and investment buyers. But not much else.
      He may be a nerd...but he does have a legitimate gripe. If the CGC collectors were smart they'd get a lawsuit together if their books are getting damaged by being encapsulated. Again, I personally will never have them in my collection...but for those who do they might want to take this to the courts.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Several irony detectors go off when members of a doll forum call anybody a nerd, i was napping, please stop.

I've always hated slabbing and AFAing, it seems absolutely joyless. For years, people told me it was to protect all the Star Wars forgeries but AFA was shown to be quite useless.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

That particular damage is probably not CGC's fault. If that book is getting ripples in it after three years it's likely because it has taken on humidity and swelled. The CGC cases are not airtight.

I have a few CGC books myself much older than that and they are still perfect. But they are also stored in a very low humidity, cool environment.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Bummer. I never trusted the company in the first place. The first comic I saw graded in a comic store had so much damage that wasn't noted, I thought it was a joke. Spine damage not mentioned that was clearly visible. Major spine roll and bends, not commented on. So I've always thought it was just to scam people without a clue. That was over 15 years ago, I'm sure.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
              That particular damage is probably not CGC's fault. If that book is getting ripples in it after three years it's likely because it has taken on humidity and swelled. The CGC cases are not airtight.

I have a few CGC books myself much older than that and they are still perfect. But they are also stored in a very low humidity, cool environment.
              Not air tight? That's quite a mistake!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                Not air tight? That's quite a mistake!
                I agree. What's the sense it getting it slabbed then??!!?? Even MORE reasons that it's a complete scam.

BTW...I used the term nerd. Happy to say I am one The guy in the video is a little bit obsessive compulsive if anything. That's one thing I can say that I am not when it comes to comic books Very Fine or better I am quite happy with when it comes to my books...I think I've posted my copy of X-Men 94 on here that is signed by everyone on the book. Trust me, that book is at best a Good. Again...CGC's are not in my personal collection. But I will oblige anyone that wants to pay 10 times what a book is worth if it makes them happy.

Comment

• Megospidey
                  Museum Webslinger
                  • Jul 26, 2006

The newest cgc cases are now airtight. They had some problems, but fixed them quickly and so now they are airtight.

That really is the purpose of "slabbing" a comic book (which is different than a toy). Plastic toys do not deteriorate nearly as fast as paper does. Old comic books are printed on very cheap paper - which is damaged by two things: heat and light.

When you slab a book by cgc or cbcs, it does a couple of things:

1. It keeps people from arguing over the grade - which is EVERYTHING to comic books. Price points are set on grades. And the grades are very particular for comics and very different than toys. Toys work on a 3 point system basically: Good - Fine - and Near Mint. Comics are on a 10 point grading scale with half point increments. When you have a comic that is graded, there is no arguing over the grade of the book. And sometimes, a half of a point can mean THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

2. It preserves the paper. I know people like reading the books. But they make trade paperbacks for that. Or you can read it online. I know that does away with some of the nostalgia, but honestly....anyone who deals with delicate paper knows that you don't want people touching these things (oil from hands, etc). The more they handled, the more they are damaged. Why do you think the Declaration of Independence is kept under glass?

I'm not saying comics are the same as an important historical document, but some books are extremely rare and do not need to be handled. Paper is fragile. Toys not so much.

I have all my big books slabbed for these reasons. It helps me to see the increase in my investment over time AND it protects the book from getting damaged.

I have an Amazing Fantasy 15 - first appearance of Spiderman. As much as I want to take it down and read it from time to time, it's just not wise for me to do that. Not for a book that is worth $15,000 and can down in value tremendously each time it is handled incorrectly. I will keep it in the slab thank you very much

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

^^
                    It definitely is a personal choice. I can understand why you'd want to do it...but for me, it would be strictly for books I am looking to sell.

So what are your thoughts on the you tube video Derek?? I basically would have "lost it" if my book was worse than when it was originally slabbed.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                      A Ray of Sunshine
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Personally I hate the "Professional" grading of a comic or toy but I can see why some do if as mentioned for an investment or reselling point. I agree with you Derek on your second point but with respect, not the first in that grading is so subjective no matter what CGC or any other company says collectors especially those buying a graded comic will still pick any defects apart to get the best price possible. I seen some CGC graded comics, especially those with white covers graded much too high with a much more off-white color and non-gloss to them

Comment

• Megospidey
                        Museum Webslinger
                        • Jul 26, 2006

Some people do nit pick graded books for sure. When they do it to me, I tell them to move along 😜

Berto, I would have flipped if I had gotten that book back. When cgc was having their problems, I didn't send any in for that very reason. I could not take the risk of something like that happening.

They have since fixed the problem, but there are a lot of people who are very upset that their books got damaged before the fix. CGC is not offering to "fix" any the books for free, which they should.

Comics can be heat pressed (low heat of course) to smooth out that waviness. CGC should be pressing the damaged books for free. Sadly they aren't

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Megospidey
                          Comics can be heat pressed (low heat of course) to smooth out that waviness. CGC should be pressing the damaged books for free. Sadly they aren't
                          Yep...I saw the work that the one guy did on your books on Facebook and was completely blown away by his work. I have a couple copies of the 1st Cloak and Dagger in Peter Parker that I might be sending his way.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎