X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The Invaders - 1967 US TV series

How is it I've never heard of this show until now ?

Been watching episodes on youtube (watched episode 1 and 2 so far)

Did Gerry Anderson rip this show off with UFO or what ?

But I guess it's ok considering the star worked for Anderson (Journey to the Far Side of the Sun)
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I don't see UFO as much of a rip off, the Invaders didn't exactly invent the "one man vs an alien invasion" premise, it's pretty much dipped it's beak into some 50s Science Fiction movies.

The Invaders got brought back as a mini series (Roy Thinnes made a cameo) in 1991 and then Thinnes was part of a major Invaders type storyline on the X-Files.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

UFO is closer to the Andersons' own Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons than The Invaders.

The Invaders is a great show.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

I loved this show as a kid. It was paired in syndication with Trek and Outer Lmits.

It's Quartermass meets the Body Snatchers in a reversal of The Fugitive, which makes sense considering the guy who created The Fugitive also made Invaders. Then you have the score by Dominic Frontiere of Outer Limits.

X-Files was always more of a direct descendent of Invaders to me, with Kolchak as traits.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Love this show, David Vincent was a true childhood hero of mine. Fighting the lone battle against all odds. It had great suspense.
          I can't compare it to UFO at all, totally different vibe.
          I wrote Roy Thinnes a letter last year, and I actually got a real letter back, what a great guy!
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• daz71
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2014

the horror channel were showing it about a month ago not sure if they still are.

Comment

• SKotK
              Career Member
              • Mar 11, 2014

I'm a big fan of The Invaders. I found out about it as a kid when I picked up the Big Little Book of The Invaders. I thought it was really cool, and was dying to see the show...but for some reason, it didn't seem to be in syndication in my area the way that Star Trek was, and I never saw a single episode until I was an adult and found the 12 episodes that had been released on VHS. I managed to pick up a few more on VHS recorded from broadcasts by trading online in the 90s. I waited anxiously for the whole show to come out, and as the years passed and it wasn't available on DVD at all, my hopes began to wane. Then suddenly it was announced that both Season 1 and 2 would be coming out on DVD, and after much urging from the fans they got Roy Thinnes in to do some extras as well. The DVDs were released in 2008, and were just about everything a fan could want. Prior to that, it had been my second most wanted show not yet on DVD after Batman '66...and now, happily, I have both now.

The Invaders miniseries (actually from 1995) was terrible, sadly. It was produced by Aaron Spelling, starred Scott Bakula (who I can't stand), and completely deviated from the established concepts of the original show. Roy Thinnes appeared as David Vincent for barely more than a few minutes in it. The David Vincent character cameo was actually the best part of the whole show. A grand opportunity for a great sequel completely botched. I have the VHS version, and that's the only format available outside of a very obscure foreign laserdisc. Despite how bad it was, I hope to have it on DVD someday just for completion's sake.

There have been many rumors over the years of an Invaders remake or continuation movie. I think it's probably a pipe dream, considering how relatively unknown the original series is today. But given Hollywood's propensity for remakes, you never know...it could happen.

(hiding my mutated pinky finger)

--SKot
              Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• alex
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 15, 2009

Watched this as a kid, here and there, actually downloaded the whole series not that long ago, to take on my travels.

Comment

• Boris71
                  GeekBot' For Life
                  • May 13, 2007

I love it too is a really cool show never saw it as like UFO at all as they were a government organisation against the invaders trying to keep it a secret were as David Vincent wanted to make it public, never saw the 1991 mini series is that on YouTube as well?
                  Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

One of my favorite shows! I didn't discover it until the early 90s, I think on the Sci-Fi Channel.

I don't see the UFO connection, I always likened it to a sci-fi version of The Fugitive. Same producer too, right? Quinn Martin?

There's a great Frank Black song called "Bad Wicked World" about The Invaders too:

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

It's a cool show. I discovered it in the 80s during re-runs.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• tllgn
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 6, 2010

I also bought this show on DVD ,I had that book Dam of death as a kid,saw little of the show then ,but this show is great ,its a classic my favorite
                        episode is "the saucer" but David gets to kill a lot of Invaders in "the mutation" so thats a close second.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

This is new to me. I'm going to sample some episodes on youtube, as I was wondering about dvd releases.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎