X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Up Close: ThinkGeek Captain America Exclusive

We love a surprise here at the Mego Museum, so when the announcement broke last week that Think Geek was offering a variant Captain America ReMego set (crafted by Diamond Select Toys and EMCE) well, we were all over that!

This set is different in many ways to last year’s Captain America Set (Still Available at EE!), let’s break it down because honestly, I had to have somebody explain it to me:

The “Retro” Cap is a Golden Age variation on the original WGSH Mego Captain America. It’s not repainted, it’s re-sculpted.
    The “Secret ID” portion this time is Steve Rogers as a police Officer, which was a story arc during the mid 1970s.
    The Modern twist this time is Steve Rogers Super Solider, the costume also closely resembles worn in “The Winter Soldier” film. A clear shield is included in what can only be a nod to the awesome Reb Brown movies.

Some notes on the set itself:
    • Squishy heads again! Yay!

• The Police hat is permanently affixed on the Officer Steve, there may be a way to remove it but we don’t plan to.
    • This set doesn’t include a booklet like the others but that’s probably not a deal breaker to anyone.

Like all reviews here, we let the photos do the talking and you do the deciding whether this set is for you or not. The set is available only at ThinkGeek.

See the Full Review Here:

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I passed on the first Cap set, I'm much more likely to go for this one. Thanks for the review.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

It's cool but, they could have given him red hands or gloves.

Why did they make officer Steve with glued on police hat? unless they think folks would be losing or
      misplacing it? just some minor complaints but all in all its a piece worth getting.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Killer set!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I like this set. I have the first one, and it's the only EMCE one I have, but this one is calling to me. I think it's that great police uniform, the great modern suit and that Reb Brown-like shield!!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Wow, this is pretty cool. I like how the star is sewn on with the simple center stitch.

Hope they do more stuff like this.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Does the modern era have an extra long neck like some of the Star Trek figures had ?

Hard to tell with the suit on.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for the following:

I think the 40's era Cap should have been done better before coming out with the set. Head and shield are the only good things about the 40's Cap. Outfit is just badly done. Don't know if it was a rush to get this out...but it definitely looks like it. Outfit is baggy. Should be white from the elbows down and there should be red gloves (gripping gloves like the ones from Figueres Inc). Should be a belt with a belt buckle. I'm a stickler for getting things RIGHT before you release the figure and this was an epic fail in my opinion. Thank God for customizers like Brian Leitner:

The new version of Cap is nice and even though I am not a fan of the Steve Rogers the Policeman stories...I guess it's a different take on a Steve Rogers figure. Sorry for the rant...but again, get it RIGHT before you release a figure. Let the hate begin

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I think the 40s era Cap was done in the "retro" style like the original Mego Cap. So it's done in the aesthetic of "what would have Mego done", at least that's my interpretation. Mego never quite got Cap right either, so I think that was the intention all along.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Note the repainted eyes, particularly. Doing this on a Mego Cap significantly improves the figure IMO.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• daz71
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2014

are they using different fabric? it looks ribbed.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 9, 2013

That's right. This is the Cap for her pleasure.

Comment

• daz71
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by greensavage2000
                          That's right. This is the Cap for her pleasure.
                          i wonder what might be concealed behind his shield.

Comment

• warlock664
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I think the 40s era Cap was done in the "retro" style like the original Mego Cap. So it's done in the aesthetic of "what would have Mego done", at least that's my interpretation. Mego never quite got Cap right either, so I think that was the intention all along.
                            Exactly.
                            I would've liked a more accurate Mego Cap back in the 70s, too, with the white sleeves and gloves, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
                            I'm actually surprised they gave the retro WWII Cap the pirate boots instead of the standard hero boot.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                              I can appreciated that. Like I said...head and shield are winners. The rest of the outfit...meh.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎