X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

My latest GRAIL in my collection...Not a Comic Book

...But most definitely related. I've never EVER seen this size poster for All-Star Squadron since it was released with issue 1 back in 1981. Found this on Ebay UK. It's a double sided poster and when I get the chance I will take a pic of the other side which is Arak #1. I give you a 15 1/2 inch X 22 1/2 inch poster for All-Star Squadron...My FAVORITE comic book of all time!!!!!

I would love to get this autographed by Roy Thomas, Rich Buckler and Jerry Ordway (Did the inks inside) So I'm keeping my out for Comic Cons in the coming months and years for Roy, Rich, and Jerry. Would like to get the auto's neatly in the barcode area of the poster....we'll see.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, what a great find! I loved All-Star Squadron as well. And that first issue cover was just epic. One of my favorite comic covers of all time. Congrats!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

This is the Arak side of the poster:

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

That's one I've never seen before either. Congrats!!! I was expecting some sort of artwork but this is close enough for certain!

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Wow!!!

I didn't know there was such a thing to be had! What's the story on that? I don't remember a poster. Obviously, it was promotional but was it an offer type thing or was it just for retailers?

I realize there are comics that have greater significance in the grand scheme of things, but when I bought JLA #193 and read the preview....I was hooked and on point to snag "All-Star Squadron" #1!

35 years later, I still love that title. And I still have the one I bought off the spinner rack (plus a couple of more).

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
            Wow!!!

I didn't know there was such a thing to be had! What's the story on that? I don't remember a poster. Obviously, it was promotional but was it an offer type thing or was it just for retailers?

I realize there are comics that have greater significance in the grand scheme of things, but when I bought JLA #193 and read the preview....I was hooked and on point to snag "All-Star Squadron" #1!

35 years later, I still love that title. And I still have the one I bought off the spinner rack (plus a couple of more).
            It's the only one I've ever seen. Might have been a UK thing. Basically it is the size of the original 2-up artwork that was typical for most art back in the day. I also don't ever remember double sided posters here in the US...then or even now. I'll have to ask Rich Buckler or Roy Thomas at a Comic Con. Rich does a lot of shows up here in the norhteast. I've had the pleasure of meeting Roy Thomas once about 15 years ago at a New York con. Haven't seen him up here since then.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

WOW! Absolutely stunning! Love it.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Keep us posted as to what you find out about this, please.

Thomas, Buckler, and Ordway were probably the first creatives that I recognized by name and could associate with a title (as I slowly became aware that there were actually people behind comics). I was about 12 when this came out and finally starting to realize that comics didn't just spring from the ether. All-Star Squadron was the first title I didn't just consume and the first I can remember reading the letters and comments.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Cool. Nice score.

Roy is fairly accessible via social media because of his Alter Ego magazine, so you might be able to shoot him a pic and question about the poster. One of the guys I know from a classic comics forum (Dr. Cyclops knows him a lot better than I do though) has done a lot of work for Roy for Alter Ego and other TwoMorrows stuff, so I can see if he can ask Roy about the poster at some point if you don't get the chance to see him at a con soon to ask.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Very cool.
                    I remember buying both those 1st issues as a kid. Still have them.
                    Wonderful artwork.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

That's awesome! What an iconic cover, I remember when that issue first came out.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Wonderful! Arak was one of my favorite comics back in the day, and I enjoyed All-Star, too.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• bobws
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 13, 2008

All-Star was one of my top 5 comics back then, still love it. I was they would trade Paperback it.
                          "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 12, 2014

Thats Cool!!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

Bumping this in memoriam of the passing of Rich Buckler. RIP Rich.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎