X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bantha5
    Museum Super Collector
    • May 2, 2013

Help find vintage Jaws illustrations

I have been looking for a vintage Jaws era illustration for the past 10 years with no online luck. Maybe someone here can help me out. But first the story.....
    One night, Jaws era so 1975, maybe 76. My Mom has to stop by the local drug store to pick up a prescription. As she is talking to the pharmacist I step a few feet to the magazine rack. The memory of the magazine I picked up is very fuzz (maybe a famous monsters or some Jaws themed fan magazine) but the illustration inside is still super clear to this day. It was a diagonal B&W illustration of a girl in a bikini swimming up to the right hand side of the page as she is being bitten in half by a shark. I mean super graphic, organs coming out, blood the whole nine yards. Something a 5 year old shouldn't have seen ( I remember feeling like I did something bad by even seeing it) but I would love to see it again. Any help would be appreciated. Like I have said, I have looked for it online quite a few time, but my Google fu has failed me. Ryan
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

As a Jaws fanatic, I can't help you off the top of my head, but I am dying to see what you're describing.

You're sure it was black and white? I was thinking maybe a panel from Marvel's Jaws 2 adaptation, which was a magazine format Super Special.

Comment

• Bantha5
      Museum Super Collector
      • May 2, 2013

As much as I can trust a 40yr old memory, I have to say B&W.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hedji
        As a Jaws fanatic, I can't help you off the top of my head, but I am dying to see what you're describing.

You're sure it was black and white? I was thinking maybe a panel from Marvel's Jaws 2 adaptation, which was a magazine format Super Special.
        This is that one I think.

Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I have that. I'll look through it to see if there is anything remotely close. I don't recall it being that violent though.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but this was as graphic as the Jaws 2 magazine got:

Comment

• Bantha5
              Museum Super Collector
              • May 2, 2013

No, not it. I don't think it would have been anything put out by a reputable company like Marvel, more of an exploitation vibe to it. It may not have even been a Jaws themed magazine. I appreciate the input.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, I didn't think it would be, but that's all I got. No doubt it was a black and white horror comic magazine skirting the comics code authority and capitalizing on Jaws with some uber violent illustrations. I hope someone turns it up.

Comment

• Bantha5
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • May 2, 2013

You and me both brother. Thanks for taking a crack at it.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

sounds like some sort of a Warren publication to me. Maybe a shark story in Eerie or Creepy?

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

I checked with some folks over at a classic comics forum I am a part of, and they suggested the following 2 possibilities...

Creepy #101

but that would have been in '78 so more around the time of Jaws 2 than Jaws,

or Famous Monsters #146

which also would have been '78.

Both are a little later than your suggested time frame, but might be worth a look to at least eliminate the possibility.

It only took about a half hour for them to come up with these two possibilities, so there's a good chance they might have more suggestions when more people get a chance to see the post, so I will add any other suggestions I get.

-M
                      Last edited by MRP; Aug 22, '16, 1:27 AM.
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Bantha5
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • May 2, 2013

Jaws 2 may make a bit more sense. Even though parenting was a bit more lax back then and the magazine rack was only a few steps away, I still don't think my mom would have let me wander at 5. In 78 I would have been 7, a more reasonable age to be at the magazine rack by myself.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 13, 2009

Here's a summary of Creepy #101's first story, if that helps:

Up first is "In Deep" by Richard Corben (art) and Bruce Jones (story), a reprint of the classic story from Creepy 83. Given that this cover was originally intended for this story, they reprinted it here, and made a sequel story which follows this story. This story tells of a husband and wife whose yacht sinks. The two of them are stranded in the water with just an inner tube to keep them afloat. Over the night the wife drowns, leaving the husband on his own. To his horror seagulls and soon sharks arriving trying to eat her corpse. He fights them off as best he can, but can't stop them all. When he's finally rescued all thats left is her heart, which he grasps tightly in his hands. An extremely good story, one of Creepy's best ever, although this particular version isn't in color, which definately helped it out tremendously in its original printing

The rest of the summaries can be found here:

Richard Corben provides the cover for this issue, a 'Jaws of Death' special issue. This cover appears to have been originally intended for i...

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

They don't make 'em like they used to. That sounds awesome.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

The magazine you described sounds a Myron Fass publication. Always one to jump on a trend, Fass produced one shot magazines (mostly B#W) to sell, while publishing his horror mags under the Eerie Publications name. Try searching titles like:Jaws of Death, Jaws of Horror, Jaws of Blood.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎