Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I actually really enjoyed it, wasn't bogged down by Nimoy's son at all. Found it a loving tribute. It's on netflix in Canada BTW...
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I'll check it out on Netflix...
      sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

If you're a hard core trekkie like myself, then it's enjoyable enough. You do get some insight into Nimoy as a person and a father that you might not have known, and it's not all just a big fluff piece, which is what I thought it might be. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't buy it. Shatner has a book out called "Leonard" that is actually better.

As for Adam Nimoy, he didn't take away or add much to the documentary because of his personality. He's kind of humorless and at times comes across like a spoiled rich kid, but there's enough honesty about himself and his father that makes the documentary bearable.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Glad to hear it's on Netflix. Definitely going to watch it over the Holidays.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Just finished watching this and I have to say that was probably the best profile I have ever seen on Leonard Nimoy. I very much enjoyed having his son provide the primary narrative because he offered the viewer a unique lens through which to see this individual as just that...an individual.

The iconic image of Spock has burned bright for so long and has been celebrated in so many ways, I never felt like I ever got any real separation from the character/actor versus the man. Sure there have been some insightful interviews and retrospects that gave a general outline of his life but even those felt relatively measured in what they dispensed to the public...and rightfully so.

Now that is not to say this documentary was in ANY WAY designed to show the dirt on this man. Far from it. This is very much a celebration of his life. But when you get the perspective from that inner circle that saw him at his very best (and worst) moments, you realize immediately that, like all of us, Leonard Nimoy was a very vulnerable, fallible, and complex human being that often required the same kind of positive reinforcements in life that all of us require. And this notion that all of those struggles were somehow manageable only because his career brought fame and notoriety were largely a misnomer.

In fact it really illustrated how difficult it was to maintain a duel existence where professionally he had to constantly hustle and promote himself in that competitive and backstabbing world of egos versus his home life where he had to deliver a more grounded and measured demeanor for an entirely different audience that didn't see him as anything other than who he was. A fascinating insight that certainly offered some interesting and sometimes sad revelations. I will add that seeing the scope of his personal life certainly made all of this fuss over his public relationship with Shatner seem shallow at best. I think he had more important matters at hand than rubbing shoulders with aging co-workers.

At the end of the day those revelations only built up a more pronounced image of a man I already respected, but did so with the added understanding that he too was VERY human through all of this. One hell of a way to live one's life and he lived it with an incredible degree of tenacity and determination to find all the answers he was looking for. At the end of the day, I would say he found them all.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

thanks for the heads up about it being on Netflix Brian. I just finished watching it. I found it to be a very touching, and loving tribute to a man I think we all loved and respected. I mean, come on, Spock is a huge part of all of our childhoods. I still tear up watching his death scene in WOK

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎