Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone read the Time Traveler trilogy of prose novels?

Were they any good?

They were pretty much an alternate universe take on the Image/Devil's Due Micronauts mythos with the same set of characters but with the story unfolding differently and the main character having flashbacks to a different history. If you didn't like the Image/Devil's Due comics, I doubt you would liek them, but they were well done for what they were.

-M

I haven't read the Image series.

It's a very different take on the Micronauts than the Marvel version. Even stuff that is visually similar because it is based on the toys is conceptually different than the Marvel take crafted by Mantlo. In the books, the POV character is a human from Earth, who is slowly recovering memories of a different past and path via the Time Traveler in the first book before eventually going to the Microverse in later books. The memories he seems to recall were snippets from the plotilne through the Image books where he was an Earthman who became part of the rebellion against Karza, though the rule of Karza and the Microverse are different than that conceived by Mantlo.

For me, the first 12 issues of the Marvel series by Mantlo and Golden is one of my favorite comic book sagas of all time, but the rest of that series, and the follow up series by Peter Gillis for Marvel rarely rose above mediocre. It lacked direction and consistent characterization and seemed to simply kill time between Karza stories because they couldn't ever find anything else interesting for the characters to do.

As for the Image series, I thought it had a lot of potential. The core ideas at its foundation were good, however it was undercut by a writer who was not used to writing for a visual medium or pacing things for a serialized story and series of artists who were not strong on visual storytelling and tried to much to draw pretty pictures in the then popular pseudo-Image style without considering how they were providing a narrative. They were inexperienced and they wore their Image style influences on their sleeve without a real grounding in the craft of visual narrative storytelling. This left all the potential of the interesting conceptual ideas and worldbuilding ultimately unfulfilled, and the series never quite captured the audience it needed to sustain itself either at Image or the ill fated attempt to relaunch/continue at Devil's Due. The 4 issue Karza mini was perhaps the best crafted of the bunch and had an interesting take on Karza's past, but by the time it came out, the writing was already on the wall for the series at Image and didn't bring any readers to the table.

Lyons on the other hand was a veteran writer of licensed material in prose form, so had the skill to execute the story, but he wasn't the strongest idea man, so the novels were well crafted and enjoyable, but ultimately were a little light on interesting things to say. They were the equivalent of solid popcorn fare movies, but there wasn't enough there to make them perennial favorites.

Interesting enough to check out if you run into them, but not worth shelling out big bucks over or struggling to get them if they are not easily accessible.

-M