X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
    The years between Star Wars and Empire were just magical. When there was one film. 20 action figures. Marvel Comics. Splinter of the Mind's Eye. The Art of Star Wars. The 5 Topps cards sets. Just one movie and your own imagination. Magical!
    Absolutely agree with this 100%.
    It was a magical era which will never be replicated.
    I love all Star Wars, always will, but that early period between SW and Empire truly was a golden age.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

While I love it all, there's a part of me that can't disagree with you. The years between Star Wars and Empire were just magical. When there was one film. 20 action figures. Marvel Comics. Splinter of the Mind's Eye. The Art of Star Wars. The 5 Topps cards sets. Just one movie and your own imagination. Magical!
      That was indeed an incredibly magical time. Everything was wide open; only your imagination (and some comics and novels) filled that gap then.

This is actually why Rogue One has the potential to tap into that period to some degree - by being set right before the events of the original Star Wars, it puts us as close to that movie and time period as possible. The only thing that could be better would be a film that took place immediately AFTER Star Wars...but that becomes a problem, since we'd have to have new actors playing the parts of Luke/Han/Leia, and that would probably not go over well. But give it time, and it will probably happen anyway. And the haters will hate. But I can't judge, considering I'd like to forget the prequels ever happened!

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

While I love it all, there's a part of me that can't disagree with you. The years between Star Wars and Empire were just magical. When there was one film. 20 action figures. Marvel Comics. Splinter of the Mind's Eye. The Art of Star Wars. The 5 Topps cards sets. Just one movie and your own imagination. Magical!
        There was something wonderful and fun about anticipating what the second film would be like and creating our own adventures in the Star Wars universe. The Marvel Comic was a monthly dose of excitement. A great time.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

I agree that the years after the original were special, but I can still recapture that magic even with everything that has followed after "Star Wars".
          Nothing can "damage" that feeling for me. I welcome as much material that they release, and pick and choose what I like.
          And when I see SW (I have no love for the "New Hope" title) again, it still feels fresh to me, no matter how much Jar Jar they throw at me. There are parts of the prequels that I really loved. Some I disliked.
          So with this new stuff coming out, I'm excited. I'll see what I like about it and ignore the rest. I'd rather have too much than too little.
          I liked everything I saw in that trailer, I really got an old school SW buzz about it.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

It will never be the same as watching the premier of Star Wars back in 1977 as a 13-14 year old kid...it's just impossible.

However, I can still keep enjoying the ride...heck yeah...
            sigpic

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

I am looking forward to this movie. I was very impressed by Felicity Jones' performance in The Theory of Everything. I am also intrigued by the idea of a Star Wars movie being done like a war movie.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                I agree that the years after the original were special, but I can still recapture that magic even with everything that has followed after "Star Wars".
                Nothing can "damage" that feeling for me. I welcome as much material that they release, and pick and choose what I like.
                And when I see SW (I have no love for the "New Hope" title) again, it still feels fresh to me, no matter how much Jar Jar they throw at me. There are parts of the prequels that I really loved. Some I disliked.
                So with this new stuff coming out, I'm excited. I'll see what I like about it and ignore the rest. I'd rather have too much than too little.
                I liked everything I saw in that trailer, I really got an old school SW buzz about it.
                Yes! Everyone has "their own" Star Wars, their concept of what it is, and should be. To misquote Big Trouble in Little China, "You take what you want, and leave the rest, much like your salad bar."

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎