X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
    Sorry, I know I'm in the minority and I realize that it's almost sacrilegious but I really think I'm over Star Wars at this point. This trailer did nothing for me. I hope it's cool and everyone enjoys it but I think I'm going to give it a miss.
    All due respect, but I can't even fathom the level of jadedness it must have taken to get you to that point. I sympathize, but I'm also very sad for you that you can't enjoy Star Wars anymore.

Originally posted by Majere
    Yes. I've longed for the day when Star Wars featured Kung Fu fighting and AT-ATs on a beach with palm trees. Awesome.
    So would you prefer more of the same-old, same-old when it comes to locations/fighting style/etc.? Wasn't that the major complaint about The Force Awakens...that it was so much of the same old stuff?

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Apjac Corny
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by SKotK
      All due respect, but I can't even fathom the level of jadedness it must have taken to get you to that point. I sympathize, but I'm also very sad for you that you can't enjoy Star Wars anymore.
      It does kind of stink. There were moments in TFA that I did feel something. I shed a tear when I saw the Falcon and got a lump in my throat when I saw Luke but overall the film left me flat. I'm sad to say I think I just outgrew it. Rouge One doesn't really inspire the wonder in me that the original films did. I don't think I'm jaded, these days I'm finding more happiness and nostalgia in the films & TV shows that Star Wars inspired in my youth such as Buck Rogers & Battlestar Galactica.

Lately I've been watching the 1930's Flash Gordon serials with Buster Crabbe and after every installment I find myself smiling & shaking my head wondering, how did they do that? I'm just not getting that from TFA or the Rouge One trailer.

It's not that I'm down on modern film making, CGI or remakes. I thought Tim Burton ruined the POTA franchise until I saw "Rise" and it rekindled my love for the apes movies and it was taken to new heights in "Dawn". In my opinion the apes movies grew and matured with me, something that Star Wars films failed to do.

Comment

• Gadgeteer
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 16, 2014

This movie is going to be right up my alley!
        sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
          It's not that I'm down on modern film making, CGI or remakes. I thought Tim Burton ruined the POTA franchise until I saw "Rise" and it rekindled my love for the apes movies and it was taken to new heights in "Dawn". In my opinion the apes movies grew and matured with me, something that Star Wars films failed to do.
          Tim Burton's movie had a lot of potential, I thought...the makeup and ape movement in it is stunning. But the weak story and terrible casting of the two human leads killed it. I fully agree with you on the new Apes movie series, though...they took what was great about the original POTA and extrapolated in in a very satisfying way. Can't wait for the next one.

I do think TFA was a little soft, but I feel like it had to be to draw people back in. I enjoyed it. Now, Rogue One has me very excited to see that familiar time period right before the first movie. All I can say is: don't eff it up.

--SKot

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Majere
            Banned
            • Apr 17, 2016

So would you prefer more of the same-old, same-old when it comes to locations/fighting style/etc.? Wasn't that the major complaint about The Force Awakens...that it was so much of the same old stuff?

--SKot
            Nope. I want AT-AT's on a beach with palm trees and Chinese Kung Fu with my Star Wars. It's awesome. It's a perfect encapsulation of just how awesome Hollywood is. Thank God we got rid of Lucas and put some people with real talent in charge of the franchise. Seeing stuff like this and the new Ghostbusters has renewed my faith, not only in Hollywood, but in humanity.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

The more I watch the trailer, the more I like it. I'm getting "new hope" all over again...
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Nope. I want AT-AT's on a beach with palm trees and Chinese Kung Fu with my Star Wars. It's awesome. It's a perfect encapsulation of just how awesome Hollywood is. Thank God we got rid of Lucas and put some people with real talent in charge of the franchise. Seeing stuff like this and the new Ghostbusters has renewed my faith, not only in Hollywood, but in humanity.
                I can't quite tell from your post, but it sounds like you don't like the ideas in the trailer. AT-AT's among the palm trees makes no less sense that AT-ATs in the redwood forest. In fact, as they run out of Earth like environments for planets, a tropical beach makes so much sense! As for the Eastern influence on the dude fighting with a bow staff, it really isn't so different than many of the Buddhist ideas Lucas developed with Gary Kurtz (a known Buddhist) in ESB, not to mention the Samurai influence on the Jedi from day one.

I'll be the first person to say that I am a Lucas apologist. I love him as a person, writer, and artist. I love the Prequels. But I'm all for more Star Wars. It needs to evolve, or it's just more of the same. Would Gareth Edwards be my first choice as a director? No. I'd put Guillermo Del Toro, John Favreau, and Matthew Vaughn on my short list. But that doesn't mean Rogue One can't be great. I've gone from skeptical to I can't wait. Give it a chance, man. As a non enumerated chapter in the saga, I feel like the stakes are lower, and they can experiment a little more. More Star Wars? Yes, please, thank you very much.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Let's not forget we already had the martial arts stuff with Ray Park,so it's not the first time.

Comment

• SKotK
                    Career Member
                    • Mar 11, 2014

Nope. I want AT-AT's on a beach with palm trees
                    Well, let's see - other options are:
                    - AT-ATs on a snowscape [been done already]
                    - AT-ATs in a desert [desert planet's been done to death, plus we had dead ones at least on Jakku]
                    - AT-ATs in a forest [yeah, been done already]
                    - AT-ATs in the jungle [hmm...has potential]
                    - AT-ATs in the swamp [kinda like Dagobah meets AT-ATs? maybe.]
                    - AT-ATs on a mountain [sounds like a recipe for disaster]
                    - AT-ATs in a city [sort of some Godzilla-like potential there, though we might need bigger AT-ATs]
                    - AT-ATs in the ocean [that's just dumb unless they're some kind of underwater AT-ATs, but they could be on the beach...]
                    - AT-ATs on the beach [hey...why not?]

and Chinese Kung Fu with my Star Wars.
                    I don't know, would American Kung Fu be somehow better? Or do we need to use a specifically Anglo-Saxon style of fighting for it to get a pass?

Apparently you missed all the blatant Japanese samurai material in the original Star Wars (Jedi robes and fighting style, influence on the design of Darth Vader's suit and helmet, absolutely the Death Star trooper helmets). Kurasawa's samurai films were a huge influence on the movie. That influence was part of what made it so great.

It's awesome. It's a perfect encapsulation of just how awesome Hollywood is. Thank God we got rid of Lucas and put some people with real talent in charge of the franchise. Seeing stuff like this and the new Ghostbusters has renewed my faith, not only in Hollywood, but in humanity.
                    I'm not surprised in the least that you didn't like the new Ghostbusters...chances are you couldn't even stand to go see it. I did, and thought it was kind of meh...but that's neither here nor there.

I really dislike the direction the Star Wars prequels went in. But I'm glad I'm not so jaded that I can't enjoy the new films. I feel that Lucas lost his direction decades ago, and it's up to new people to take his inspiration and run with it. Not everything that comes out will be great, but it's highly unlikely it will ever be as bad as the prequels were.

--SKot

Comment

• Majere
                      Banned
                      • Apr 17, 2016

Well, I replied with a long post reiterating how awesome I think this all is. But, as usual it seems, someone got butthurt and deleted it. Thanks, guys. Stay classy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

You, too.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Well, I replied with a long post reiterating how awesome I think this all is. But, as usual it seems, someone got butthurt and deleted it. Thanks, guys. Stay classy.
                          I think there is lots of room for different opinions, and healthy discussion. Maybe just avoid hyperbole and articulate what you would like to see, or why the trailer is a turn off.

Like you, I think Lucas had the ultimate vision for what Star Wars is. I still do. But George sold Star Wars, which means we either get to embrace it and have fun, or reject it. We all don't have to agree, but I still enjoy hearing why people do or don't like something, as long as they try to phrase it without an insulting tone. (I didn't see your posts that got deleted, so I'm just guessing.)

My big brother and I are having a similar disagreement (off the internet, in real life) about this film. Like you, he found the Asian man with the martial arts taking down Stormtroopers very polarizing. Me? I think he looks awesome. As criticized as the prequels were, I think Lucas did a pretty good job of giving us the (like it or not) unexpected. I like being surprised, and seeing things that are different and new, but still meshing with the Star War Universe.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I'm of the opinion there will always be but one Star Wars and that was the first one in 1977. That set the table for everyone's expectations. But the subsequent "chapters" and "prequels" are all gimmicks to advance the fact they want to keep retelling that first Star Wars movie. No where is that better illustrated than with this latest installment which I like to call Star Wars 7. And the participation of Han Solo played just like Kirk in Generations. He was just put in there to die. And the rationale for his death, just like with Kirk's, was never going to make much sense. So it's just something I accept to advance the narrative and move on. At this point, for myself, I've abandoned the marketing of these films as being part of some grand story design like Lucas tried to sell for years. I'm jut taking them as fun movies that elicit fond memories while reminding myself that almost anything I see at this stage in life is going to feel a little derivative of something I've already seen before. That's the price of living long enough. It all cycles back through. Sometimes more than once. Rogue One certainly plays to that idea. I'm just going to have fun with it. If I have a good time then it did it's job.

Comment

• SKotK
                              Career Member
                              • Mar 11, 2014

Well, nuts...I'd like to have known what you said. But if you said it in an insulting or profane fashion, then I could see it getting deleted. I'm assuming you must have gone too far since I don't see the admins being all that trigger-happy here.

Maybe take it down a notch or two and try again? I dunno.

Originally posted by MIB41
                              I'm of the opinion there will always be but one Star Wars and that was the first one in 1977. That set the table for everyone's expectations. But the subsequent "chapters" and "prequels" are all gimmicks to advance the fact they want to keep retelling that first Star Wars movie. No where is that better illustrated than with this latest installment which I like to call Star Wars 7. And the participation of Han Solo played just like Kirk in Generations. He was just put in there to die. And the rationale for his death, just like with Kirk's, was never going to make much sense. So it's just something I accept to advance the narrative and move on. At this point, for myself, I've abandoned the marketing of these films as being part of some grand story design like Lucas tried to sell for years. I'm jut taking them as fun movies that elicit fond memories while reminding myself that almost anything I see at this stage in life is going to feel a little derivative of something I've already seen before. That's the price of living long enough. It all cycles back through. Sometimes more than once. Rogue One certainly plays to that idea. I'm just going to have fun with it. If I have a good time then it did it's job.
                              I can understand this. There's a part of me that only wants to accept THE Star Wars as being the one and only movie, and everything else as "fan fiction" non-canon expansion on it, even The Empire Strikes Back. Nobody ever does that exact prequel/sequel that you want to see, so you just have to kind of make up your own version in your head.

If there had only ever been just one movie - STAR WARS - I am pretty sure I'd still be as big a fan as I am now. Maybe even bigger.

--SKot

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

If there had only ever been just one movie - STAR WARS - I am pretty sure I'd still be as big a fan as I am now. Maybe even bigger.
                                While I love it all, there's a part of me that can't disagree with you. The years between Star Wars and Empire were just magical. When there was one film. 20 action figures. Marvel Comics. Splinter of the Mind's Eye. The Art of Star Wars. The 5 Topps cards sets. Just one movie and your own imagination. Magical!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎