Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't support Art theft

Is it even legal to sell prints of your own art if it's another company's licensed property? Being an artist myself who's sold a few I've always wondered that. You see tons of unlicensed Universal Monster prints for sale everywhere.

O M G, I'm very upset to read about this. Thanks a lot for posting. This is a reason why I am so protective about my own work. I hope he gets his justice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    Is it even legal to sell prints of your own art if it's another company's licensed property? Being an artist myself who's sold a few I've always wondered that. You see tons of unlicensed Universal Monster prints for sale everywhere.
    You used to be able to skate on commission sales, but that's dependent on how you set up the commission. Marvel went a tad batcrap crazy about it a few years ago. I think Meanie posted about it back then.

If you utilize Universal's images, you got no legal ground outside artistic license i.e - not for sale. If you violate their trademarkings, they can shut anything down. So for Frank - neckbolts, green skin, flat head...i.e Glenn Strange Frank. The irony is because Universal went out of there way to create such a non-Karloff look, they made the Karloff's estates case that Boris' likeness is paramount to his design. That opened the floodgates for the rest of the estates.

Blog Entries
    Teechip has a facebook group called Horror Movie Fans, it's just a shill account used to promote their t shirts. I let them have it and they banned me, deleting my comments that they stole the art.

https://www.facebook.com/horrormoviesonly/?fref=ts

The retaliated by posting more of Rob's artwork, guess they plan to make a series out of his work....

If you're so inclined, comment on their post.

Images
    English is not their first language so they ain't convention bootleggers who decided to open a site.

If it hasn't happened, someone needs to thread this at Universal Monster Army.