Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My personal Stretch Armstrong Story (long read)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

My personal Stretch Armstrong Story (long read)

Stretch Armstrong was high on my childhood grail list, quite possibly the highest. A grail that sadly was never obtained, and would became a constant, searing, source of disappointment for me for nearly four decades. Let me explain.

I lusted for this toy when it came out, and probably begged my mom for him ad nauseam. Eventually my parents made a deal that if I scored a goal in soccer I could get him. I guess this was motivation for me, since I was more of a stand-around-the-backfield kinda guy. And I was happy to be just that. But a chance to get Stretch? Man, that would have motivated me to try just about anything. Stretch had captured my imagination so intensely it was almost overwhelming.

Well, it came down to the last game of the season, so I had one final shot at my dream. I’m not sure how long we played back then, maybe 30 minutes total, but let’s just say we were down to a scant few minutes of regulation time. I doubt I went past midfield more than three times up to that point. I knew the time was nigh or I could forget about Stretch! I somehow managed to get up to the front line, not my usual position. Grouped among three or four opposing players, we approached the goal line when the ball miraculously appeared in front of me. With a maniacal slap of my foot and I made contact with the ball. And in it went! Oh HALLELUJAH!! Glory to God, Stretch would be mine! That chiseled face, those elastic limbs! Oh how I would stretch him! What’s that though? What’s that sound? A whistle? Called offside you say? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! And in an instant my elation was changed to deflation. The final whistle blew and that was it. (This is an actual pic from after that very game. You can see the glazed look of shattered dreams.)

My dad, not one to coddle us, told me, “You were onside. That was a goal.” If he said it, he meant it. Was the deal back on? I wondered. Yes, it was. My mom asked me again what I wanted, and I told her, “STRETCH ARMSTRONG!”

I’m not sure how much time passed, or whether we went that day or weeks later. What I do know is that I was not the only red-blooded, goal-scorin’, Stretch-lovin’ kid in America. Stretch was Tickle Me Elmo before Elmo was even a thought in Henson’s brain. Which meant Stretch was not to be found, so my mom did what she thought was best and brought home a Stretch Monster. Now, I know back then, and to this day, there are many who prefer ol’ SM over SA, but I was never one of those people! I wanted SA, and SM was NOT a suitable substitute for me. His green grimace became a mocking smirk that would never allow me to love him, as I would have loved SA. I barely played with him, and at some point tossed him into my toy trunk and all but forgot about him. Awhile later I found him down there among the other rejects, his neck had gotten pressed up between the trunk and some boxes, and his thick, red syrup had oozed out and hardened in one last mocking gesture.

I’m not really sure why I never got SA. It seems like he was in production for at least four years, but alas it never happened. This was a toy I thought about quite often through the years. Once eBay came around he became, along with those 8” action figures I’d once owned, a pretty consistent search term for me. Unlike Megos though, ol’ SA didn’t fare so well with the passing of time, and complete figures in decent shape were way out of my price range.

So here we are today, and this release of the original may be more poignant for me than having found most of my Mego grails, or the proliferation of FTCs offerings. This really was the one that got away. Now he’s here, and he’s glorious. I will probably buy one more, and stow him away in the dark for some future day. And yes, I will buy a Stretch Monster when he comes out. I need to apologize to him!

Here are my two. One from Amazon (on the left) and one from Target. The one from Amazon had some ooze around the neck and on the head (it's clear this time), but it cleaned off easily. I don't think he's leaking, it was probably from when he was put together. He's also overstuffed and has a crimp up by the neck. So the one from Target will be my display guy. He's pretty much perfect other than some minor paint rubs.

Last edited by Iron Mego; Aug 5, '16, 5:26 PM. Reason: Typos
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

That was beautifully written, thanks for sharing--and the pix, too.

I hope this new Stretch is more durable.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I'm happy you were finally able to get one.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

I found out about these a little while ago. They go for high $$$ but I would love to have one.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

They did two versions of Stretch Monster too.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Cool, thanks for sharing your memories. Like you I never had a SA in my childhood, (but I had playmates who did) so I hope to get one at Target at some point along with the monster.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Wow, are those knock-off or a way to use leftover heads? I want to see Monster, too!
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Jason73
                Correctamundo!
                • Jan 11, 2009

What a story. Glad you finally got your Stretch. By the way, how do plan to display Stretch? I've not been able to come up with anything.
                Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Wow, are those knock-off or a way to use leftover heads? I want to see Monster, too!
                  They're Japanese Sofubi. Probably about 5 inches tall. Stretch was big in Japan, they called him Mister X and they even had wrestling outfits for him. They always do more interesting stuff than we do. Anyway, these are a nod to Mister X. I'll find pics of the monsters.
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Jason73
                    What a story. Glad you finally got your Stretch. By the way, how do plan to display Stretch? I've not been able to come up with anything.
                    I've been trying to figure that out. Right now he's laying on a couch pillow next to me and I just keep staring at him! It's love I tell ya!!
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

Guess they made three actually.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Great story and well written! I'm glad you got him as well!

I also only had a Stretch Monster and no Stretch Armstrong. I still have his head around here somewhere, as he leaked big time all over a bunch of my stuff one time.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Glad y'all have enjoyed my story. I missed out on a bunch of toys when I was a kid. We didn't have a lot of money, and I certainly didn't get everything I wanted. There are many tales of regret, but I think Stretch was always the hardest to take. Partly because I actually "earned" it, and partly because I was just so smitten with this toy.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Bantha5
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • May 2, 2013

Great story, thanks for sharing. Some how my ( or my brothers) stretch ended up on our elderly neighbors roof, it was found when we went up there to retrieve a frisbee. The miami sun plus however long it was up there really did a number on old stretch. The red corn syrup had turned rock hard and the latex body had cracked and shattered like a dry lakebed. He looked like one big painful scab.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

I love hearing stories about when we were kids. That was a great story. I had one of the originals in the 70's, but I have to tell you, this one feels much better manufactured and more durable (at least early on). Plus I like the fact the shorts are painted on him as opposed to being actually cloth shorts. Makes allot better sense. And the head is a perfect replica which is what I really liked about the original anyway. That was a great head sculpt and he's back! So from one previous owner to one who always wanted that one, you have a better model today. Congratulations and thanks for sharing that story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎