X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Boy_Wonder_1978
    The ones I remember constantly being on the peg in pretty much whichever shop it was are the ROTJ Rebel Commander and Klaatu. There were endless supplies of these figures readily available. As for Masters of the Universe.... Beast Man was the one that was always there.
    haha yeah i remember the rotj overstock ,story goes that kenner reps increased stores orders x3 ,stores didn't want to miss out on all the "other exciting"kenner product that was coming lol,so got stuck with shed loads of rotj stock ,probably why super powers only got spotty distribution in the uk as stores retaliated against kenner
    used to see rotj figures everywhere 3 for a £1 and i mean everywhere ,seen guys selling them out of a box on street corners
    remember picking up jedi luke ,parka han and speeder bike guy for 99p back around 1991 ,bought a couple of 100 at least lol ,used them as "backbone stock" for trips to the usa ,great days used to blow through them for $15 to $40 each good times ,

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I remember the Mego Titans as peg warmers at my local Children's Palace. I got Kid Flash and Speedy before they finally vanished.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Probably in '73-'74, I recall a small, private CAN furniture store having only a lot of boxed window Aquaman's on display toward the back of their store. I recall it was great they were displayed so low so I didnt have to stand or reach to see them. No other ones, & I stared at them forever, but at that age for me, I was only Batman-related or Spider-Man-related toy-focused. Furthermore, in the mid-80s, remember a huge bin full of Super Powers Plastic Man at a CAN Sears bargain basement. Honestly, they had oodles of them. Sure wish I had purchased more than one.

Comment

• Gzilla2000
          • Jun 28, 2007

I can remember seeing pegs full of Pocket Heroes Zod and Jor-El at Toys R Us and Human Torch at Lionel Kiddie City. My mom tried to get me to buy the Torch for $1 but I wasn't interested because it wasn't G.I. Joe/Star Wars/Transformers/He-Man related. If only I knew then what I know now.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Trendmasters Battlefield Earth. Those toys blighted my local TRU for years.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• uncle al
              • Sep 3, 2014

My local Boscov's
              had basket's full of loose admiral ackbar figures for years. They just sat on the floor below all the hung carded figures.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by uncle al
                My local Boscov's
                had basket's full of loose admiral ackbar figures for years. They just sat on the floor below all the hung carded figures.
                Clearly, it was a trap.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 18, 2006

Not exactly a peg warmer, but I did find a Captain America utility belt set underneath the bottom shelf in the storeroom at Toys R Us when I was working there and rearranging the storeroom. That had to be around 1990.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

More recently the EMCE Retro Univesal Monsters Bride of Frankenstein, going to a couple of Toys R Us
                    and Frank-Drac-Wolfie-Creature were gone within a week but the old Bride herself stuck around until
                    I seen her in a bargain basket, no love for the Bride.

Comment

• Riderfan
                      Megos are cool
                      • Feb 14, 2012

A whole lot of Black Hole Humanoids, no other characters to be found, early '80s, at a Woolco in Calgary AB.

STAR & BOB long sold out, but I did get & still have them.

Still got my Humanoid too (from that same store) but like Cinderella he's missing a slipper. Oh well.

K
                      I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

It seems like everything was a peg warmer at KBs. Even hard to find stuff.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Storm from the original wave of Toy Biz X-Men.

Bob the Goon from Toy Biz's Batman movie line.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^Self-abusing Lex Luthor from the adjoining DC Super Heroes line hung around for a long time as well, clogging up aisles at Family Dollar.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I remember Storm, Bob the Goon and Lex Luthor sticking around on shelves forever!

I also remember seeing a bunch of Interchangables (post Micronauts toys) in the local TRU clearance aisle for several years circa 1988-90 or so. I stuck my nose up at them because they weren't real Micronauts, but now I wish I had bought some of them.

Comment

• patches
                                • Jan 12, 2015

I always remember the Mego Star Trek Alien figures, The Keeper and the Neptunian(?) clogging the pegs at my local Toy Aisle. Always went looking for a Scotty or a McCoy. But all they ever had was those 2 weird aliens that nobody wanted. Ugly, weren't from the show, no accessories, no fun.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎