Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Secret Wars Kang...greatest pegwarmer of all time! He hung around multiple toy stores in our area for YEARS.

Super Powers Darkseid was right behind him. I believe ol' stoneface came in his own case, due to the bigger cardback. So that kinda makes sense.

I stupidly passed on an endcap of Mego Spideys at Children's Palace in 1987. I had a good Spidey, so why bother? Jeez.

Of recent toys, those N'Sync puppets have to be a least 15 years old now, and they are still clogging up shelves here and there.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

About 15 years ago, the Playmates Star Trek Barclay or Geordi/Tarchannen clogged pegs like no man's business. You couldn't give those away, like much of the line by then, but particularly those two. I think there has to be a Toy's R Us that still has the damn things.

More recently, the Star Wars Black Series Slave Leia seemed to take up all the peg space for that line. It's been a very hit or miss line, but that one was clearly a miss. Maybe because it's just way ugly.

Comment

• SKotK
        Career Member
        • Mar 11, 2014

I remember specifically in the later Empire Strikes Back days that Kay Bee Toys had a big wire basket rack right in the front of the store full of nothing but Bespin Leias. All had cards with the corners cut off and were priced to move with a big red 99 cent price sticker (Kay Bee's prices weren't the cheapest in town normally). Myself, my younger brother, and younger sister all got one that day. If I look in my cardback collection (the figure is long gone), I may still have the card.

--SKot
        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

For more modern figures i'd say some entire toy lines were pegwarmers including ...

Stargate (movie)
          Robin Hood (Costner movie)
          Star Trek Generations
          Spawn (I know they were popular but they had a lot of pegwarmers)
          NECA Planet of the Apes Classic Series (overpriced kept this line out of many POTA's fan's hands)
          Exclusive Premier James Bond figures (bad likenesses and shoddy clothes made most people pass on them)

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

The entire Kenner Indiana Jones line except for Indy and Marion. Piles and piles of Toht, Belloq, German Mechanic and Cairo Swordsman on discount for years at Kaybee.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

It would be cool to see pics of these leftovers in the store, although I realized its super unlikely, in the same way we see pics of full and fresh end caps from that era.

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

For (relatively) modern, I remember Kay-Bee with tons of those Playmates Geordis. It also seems like the one near us also had tons of Go-Bots forever. And Waterworld, so much Waterworld.

For the ones from my childhood, all I really remember is when my mom -- who had always refused to get me either the Batcave or Hall of Justice because they were "a waste of money" (my parents were not fans of the value of vinyl-encoated cardboard) can home one day and asked if I'd want the Star Trek Enterprise playset, I said sure, and she took me back with her to K-Mart (where she almost never shopped) where there were giant pyramids of the boxed playsets in the front of the store, all marked down to about the price of one figure, as I recall.

The only Mego playset I ever had as a kid, but a great one!

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Also for more modern-ish stuff the Original San Francisco Toymakers WCW Vibrating figures

Stores couldn't give them away

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 30, 2015

The ones I remember constantly being on the peg in pretty much whichever shop it was are the ROTJ Rebel Commander and Klaatu. There were endless supplies of these figures readily available. As for Masters of the Universe.... Beast Man was the one that was always there.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Star Trek TMP Mego 3 3/4 inch figures...along with some of the 12 inch figures. Saw them at Childrens Palace for a long time.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Playmates Trek 09 figures still surface at retail from time to time...and that was 7 years ago!!! They were horrible looking for the most part, so it's no wonder.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

I remember in the mid 90s finding a lot of Kenner Bone Age figures in a discount store chain.
                          And in a big toy superstore I used to visit they still had vintage MOTU and Thundercats figures on the pegs in about 1997.
                          Other finds included the Robotech 3.75 inch line.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

^Yeah,KBs use to have some Robotech peg warmers too. They couldn't even sell them for 4/$1.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Heh, I remember a lot of these too. Especially the Secret Wars Kangs and for "shelf warmers" the Doom Roller vehicle.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Super Powers had the Lex-Soar 7 as their shelf-warming vehicle.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎