X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

What pegwarmers do you remember?

Remember when you were a kid and you went to the store hoping to buy a particular figure and ended up looking at a big display of only one (or maybe two) figures? Here's a few I remember:

-I remember when Star Wars figures FINALLY showed up in stores (for a ten year old Star Wars obsessed kid, the wait for toys between summer 1977 and spring 1978 seemed like forever!). But one day I remember walking into a Robinson's (defunct Canadian department store) and seeing an end cap full of C-3P0s, that's it, nothing but Threepio. Luckily, he was one of my favorite characters, so I happily bought one. Took me awhile to find a Darth Vader though!

-when the "Next 8" SW figures came out, I lucked upon a Hammerhead and Greedo right away, but after that it was a dry spell, I remember seeing an end cap at the local K-mart full only of Death Star Droids and Power Droids for what seemed like months (but was probably only weeks)

-when Mattel's Battlestar Galactica figures came out, I was greeted with an end cap of just Imperious Leaders. I desperately wanted a Cylon but had to settle for his boss. It took me a long time to finally find a Cylon.

-when I heard that there were KISS figures made, I went to tons of stores trying to find them with no luck (I was a huge KISS fan so I was dying to get a figure). I finally found some at Zellers (another defunct Canadian dept store). I was confronted with a shelf full of Paul Stanleys. Dammit! I dug through them and managed to find one Peter Criss in the back. No Genes or Aces to be seen. A couple of years later, there were still a couple of Pauls floating around in that store, now marked down to five bucks (in trashed boxes). I bought one anyway.

-when the Kenner SW figures were reaching their twilight days, I remember seeing pegs full of nothing but General Madine figures in many a store.

Anyone else remember stuff like this?
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Rancor Keeper and Bib Fortuna.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i remember toys r us having Mego hulk pegwarmers for the longest time. most had the usual broken limbs in package
      I seem to recall towards the end of the original kenner toy line run, they were all peg warmers

I remember Jar jar binl and mutt Williams warming pegs for years after their movies, lol

Comment

• Spyweb007
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 18, 2006

Flash and Darkseid from the kenner Super Powers line.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          i remember toys r us having Mego hulk pegwarmers for the longest time. most had the usual broken limbs in package
          Yes, I remember finding a couple carded Hulks (with broken knees of course) at a Childs World as late as 1990 ($1.99 each, I bought them of course!). Pin Pin French carded FF could be found warming pegs well into the late 1980's too.

Originally posted by Spyweb007
          Flash and Darkseid from the kenner Super Powers line.
          Yep, Kalibak and some of the other Fourth World characters too (they weren't popular at all, a curious choice by Kenner. I thought it was awesome that they were making figures of these characters, but kids didn't care for them)

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

Maybe because of the Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, but the unwanted peg-warmers seem to be blocked from my memory!

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Toy Biz's Lex Luthor with punch himself in the head action.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Giving away my age here compared to the picks above ....

Marx Geronimo

Comment

• Jason73
                  Correctamundo!
                  • Jan 11, 2009

I remember a bin full of Mego 3&3/4 Ardella figures on clearance at Circus World in the mall around 1980.
                  Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Toy Biz's Lex Luthor with punch himself in the head action.
                    lol I had almost forgotten him.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2008

I remember an end cap at a Towers store (yet another defunct Canadian department store) that had all Scotties and Uhuras. Funny, as they would become the more pricier characters later after the line was finished, especially post the warehouse find. Ilia from the Motion picture was around forever.

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

When I was in my 'end of high school, starting college' toy buying hiatus, I recall being floored by an endcap of POTF Stormtrooper Lukes and Carbonite Hans at the mall Kay Bee. I stared at them for a bit and finally decided to buy just one Han. I have to check the tag on it, but I think it was 1.99.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the early 80's I remember Shelby's Dept Store having TONS of marked down Star Wars die-cast Y-Wing Fighters.

I was too old to want one as a toy but the price was so low I bought one anyway.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

I remember Sears having Return of the Jedi figures for $.29 around '85 or '86. Only ones they had left at that price were the aliens that hung around with Jabba. Maybe a B-Wing Pilot too. I remember Jabba himself sitting around the shelf at Kiddie City well into the 90s. They probably still had him there when they went under.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Boy oh boy... I remember, vividly, when Mattel released the Gold medal Big Jim to celebrate our country's anniversary in 1976. I can remember walking into department stores like Roses and there were free standing displays of him in that classic white box with red/white/blue swim "trunks". Scores of them. It was not a big seller at all but I enjoyed getting one. Believe it or not, AHI monsters were a routine sight all through the 70's. The Wolfman seem to be the most common with Frankenstein a close second. I remember the 12 inch KISS figures being around, but it was always Paul Stanley who was in stock. Seldom ever saw Gene or Peter. With Mego's the one line that stands out as a peg-warmer that lingered forever were Planet of the Apes. I would routinely see a Cornelius or Zira (along with various other accessories and play sets) marked down in department stores like JC Pennys and other places. They seem to always be around (for many years) and discounted, but seldom moving. In terms of the Mego superheroes, Hulk, Batman, and Spider-man were the most common place figures. Even into the early 80's they were a common sight at Children's Palace that seem to carry allot of overstock from the 70's.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎