Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

No Hue, you have no choice but to see it . There's no bailing now. I'll see it next week, smdh the whole time.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
      No Hue, you have no choice but to see it . There's no bailing now. I'll see it next week, smdh the whole time.
      Ya know, hedrap... you encouragingly flying the DC flag like that has taken me down from a furious "10"---to a notably hot "8"

As far as going to SS... I don't know... I just don't know... but this board will be the first to know if I go take it all in in my local theater.

Cheers regardless!
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I'd rather poke my eyes out than see Jared Leto as the Joker. The pics are bad enough. Goofy hipster doofus.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Apjac Corny
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 12, 2016

I have no desire to see this but I promised to take my niece and she was cool enough to go see Planet of the Apes with me last week so I'm not going to back out now. I got her the best seats in the house for a showing on Monday, I hope she really enjoys it. I think Harley Quinn is pretty review proof to a 13 year old girl so I'm sure she will. Heck, when I was about her age I thought The White Buffalo was the greatest film ever made only slightly edging out the De Laurentiis King Kong remake.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            I'd rather poke my eyes out than see Jared Leto as the Joker. The pics are bad enough. Goofy hipster doofus.
            Yeah...that's what puts me off most about this movie. They really messed up the Joker.
            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

the review in Entertainment weekly was not bad. I think they gave it B-
              I am really not hearing bad reviews on this, I looked on Superhero Hype and reviews were mixed. I may go see it at the drive in tomorrow night. looks like a fun movie to me

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
                Yeah...that's what puts me off most about this movie. They really messed up the Joker.
                Leto was a real commodity because he would turn everything down just so he could pursue other interests like his band Thirty Seconds To Mars. The guy built some yuge female fanbase, and he suddenly became Jonny Depp 2.0...so they threw Joker at him knowing nobody really turns that role down.

During development, you can tell after the cult-like devotion to Ledger, WB wanted something so over the top it couldn't be construed as realistic. To me, he just doesn't have the right features.

I find it interesting when the Harley/Joker relationship is portrayed by real people, it loses the crazy-fun and is more troubling.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 14, 2012

you can tell after the cult-like devotion to Ledger, WB wanted something so over the top it couldn't be construed as realistic. To me, he just doesn't have the right features.
                  He's managed to make the Joker dull and uninteresting. Takes real acting ability to seem boring in that makeup.
                  Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Leto was a real commodity because he would turn everything down just so he could pursue other interests like his band Thirty Seconds To Mars. The guy built some yuge female fanbase, and he suddenly became Jonny Depp 2.0...so they threw Joker at him knowing nobody really turns that role down.

During development, you can tell after the cult-like devotion to Ledger, WB wanted something so over the top it couldn't be construed as realistic. To me, he just doesn't have the right features.
                    As far as "features", I put about 10 percent stock into my opinion based on that (if that).

Yes, I know that's not what "normal" audiences do... eh, I dunno.... and the Joker is one of my favorite characters ever any where... he's been done so well by quite a few actors who have played him quite differently, and, of course, the reason for that is that "chaos" has a wide spectrum that can be played in.

That "chaos" aspect of the character dictates that that "10 percent (if that)" that I mentioned earlier----it even means even less to me personally when it comes to new iterations of The Joker character, while many here are up in arms because of tattoos or capped teeth. I say dress him in a pink tu-tu... it wouldn't really bother me.

Originally posted by Captain Big Trousers
                    He's managed to make the Joker dull and uninteresting. Takes real acting ability to seem boring in that makeup.
                    I'll see his performance at some point to make my own opinion, and see if much of the negativity side hasn't been spawned from merely a narrow "Oh no!!! The Joker has tattoos and capped teeth!!! Run for the hills!!!" perspective.

But from what I've read and seen as far as reviews on Leto's performance... they have been about split down the middle, with the biggest complaint being that he wasn't in the movie much, which to me says something for a more "positive" reception than not. But that's just an assumption on my part.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ The grill and ink are obviously pandering to what is perceived as hip by the suits and will seem very dated once the trend dies off. It just smacks of Poochie to me.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

The tatts and whatnot came from Ayer cuz he wanted to rework him into a cartel boss. Like a Super Tony Montanya.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

yeah, but Tony Montana had his own teeth and didn't have crap drawn all over him. And seriously, would the Joker even junk himself up like that?

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Yeah the SS Joker, is a joke, looks terrible. I'm still on the fence about going to see this one. My kids are not interested at all in seeing it.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              ^^^ The grill and ink are obviously pandering to what is perceived as hip by the suits and will seem very dated once the trend dies off. It just smacks of Poochie to me.
                              I "get" Poochie, T-bolt.

You and I have discussed this "Joker/Leto" thing before.

I can't jump on the "Poochie" train because:

a. What I just brought up in this thread about the Joker's many brands of "chaos/crazy" that contribute to most anything going with the character compared to 99 percent of other characters with that kind of legend status.

b. The idea brought forth by Nolan (one of his few decent ones IMHO) that the Joker could be portrayed as a punk rock agitant... a rebel vagabond with a "horror" streak... so for a rocker with tattoos "Joker" to carry the "Ledger" mantle works for me.

c. He always could change his appearance mid-franchise---Why?----'Cause he's crazy!

d. I like hedrap's info on Ayer---that works for me too.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

Ayer's approach makes sense in its own way. It's an extension of BTAS Joker who was a an offshoot of Nicholson. So instead of Frank Netti, (Nicholson), you have this guy hooked into the drug world who - I'm guessing - was supposed to be executed horribly but survived.

The crossroad between Leto and Ledger is Michael Mann. If Mann directed Batman 89, Leto is the Joker type we'd get because he fits that Mann 80's florescent Miami Vice/Manhunter visual palette and over the top performance. But a BatMann post-Heat is what Nolan said TDK was trying to to evoke. Compare Miami Vice TV to the '06 movie and they barely connect.

If Mann, Milius or even Walter Hill had wrote Suicide Squad, it would've been in the "best superhero film" ever debate. But Ayer, as good as he is, cannot please two masters. Look at how when Dirty Dozenplays the "bad people are good in nature" card, they still die. That's the level Squad who have to go for and it's very possible Ayers did but the WB reshoots/editing gutted all of that.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎