Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain Big Trousers
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 14, 2012

Originally posted by Boy_Wonder_1978
    Just got back and I'm with the critics on this one. The film is absolutely diabolical. Had to stop myself from walking out just to say that I'd seen the whole show. Margot Robbie steals the show and that's for sure, just felt at times though that she wasn't quite bonkers enough for Harley (perhaps that's just me). As for the others characters, I really couldn't care any less to be completely honest. Leto as The Joker.... Speechless.

WB really are in the **** now. How are they managing to get it so wrong?
    I actually closed my eyes about an hour in and tried to have a little nap.

I'd have loved to have seen Ledger's Joker with a more... uh... fleshed out Robbie Quinn.

Marvel got a Doctor Strange commercial in before the SS movie started.
    Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

It's such an odd situation that a studio can't see the inherent problems with committing so much to a niche director (like Snyder) that, at best, has little experience with a very limited style. I can't find any line of thinking that tells me it's a wise move to take this guy who initially had only five movies under his belt (with just two making money) and rest the entire DC license in his hands with this very odd, adult-driven tone, that doesn't really service anyone but a very small corner of the genre. The man has to cover his lack of storytelling skills with lavish scenery that drives budgets sky-high which also demands huge returns at the box office just to break even. What's worse, they bring in other directors to essentially copy the tone to make canned product like Suicide Squad, which (as I have said from day one) looked like garbage. Is anyone truly surprised by the critical drubbing? You get a couple of minutes from a trailer to compile the best moments from a two hour movie and these incoherent trailers is the best you got? You have the worst interpretation of the Joker in modern cinema; Will Smith looking more desperate than ever for a movie franchise; and a bunch of b-list nobodies trying to act half their age with juvenile one-liners and a soundtrack clearly borrowed from the Guardians playbook. Completely canned and uninspired nonsense. It's sad this movie is going to make so much money this weekend. But, like BVS, it looks to be a one and done scenario at the box office. Good riddance. Take the team that have written and developed the television Flash show and put them in charge. Now THAT would be fun.
      Last edited by MIB41; Aug 5, '16, 6:06 AM.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 14, 2012

^ Worse still, the trailers have better timing (/editing) than the movie. The "funny" (not) lines in the movie have terrible timing. There's a split second between witty repartee and clumsy comeback.

I genuinely feel sorry for the actors. They put a lot of faith in the production team to make them look good.

Also, my wallet. I feel sorry for my wallet.
        Last edited by Captain Big Trousers; Aug 5, '16, 5:55 AM.
        Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

The success of The Dark Knight is what got us here. It seems they've been trying to recreate that success by giving each movie since the same template. That technique is what worked for Marvel, the difference being they have Iron Man as their template. DC has not been innovative in their approach to their movies so far, that have simply been in the wake of Marvels success and trying to play catch-up.
          Can you imagine how confused they must have been when Marvel made a great, successful movie about an obscure superhero team that has a raccoon and a tree as two of its members and DC couldn't make SvB work?!? They must have been going out of their minds!
          I believe Suicide Squad is the last movie DC made before the reviews of SvB came in, right? Is Wonder Woman next or Justice League? The WW trailer looked kind of good, but JL just looked like the Suicide Squad trailer to me. Anyone who was disappointed with SS isn't going to be impressed with JL.
          Wonder Woman is next, then Justice League. I liked both trailers, which surprised me on JL. You can see that they are trying to address their criticisms. BUT, is this all the funny and lightness in the whole movie, in this trailer, or has WB really reined Snyder in?

Marvel has smartly let each movie franchise have it's own identity. Guardians is a space opera action comedy. Ant-Man is an action comedy heist film, etc. I haven't seen Squad yet, but I'm hearing folks say that it's got the same demeanor as BvS, despite the fun but edgy marketing campaign. Sigh.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Wonder Woman is next, then Justice League. I liked both trailers, which surprised me on JL. You can see that they are trying to address their criticisms. BUT, is this all the funny and lightness in the whole movie, in this trailer, or has WB really reined Snyder in?

Marvel has smartly let each movie franchise have it's own identity. Guardians is a space opera action comedy. Ant-Man is an action comedy heist film, etc. I haven't seen Squad yet, but I'm hearing folks say that it's got the same demeanor as BvS, despite the fun but edgy marketing campaign. Sigh.

Chris
            I agree that Marvel has a strong sense of the identity and vibe of their different characters, yet you can imagine them together in the same movie without a character feeling out of place. As different as Guardians feels from the rest (to me anyway), I could see them interacting with Thor or Hulk without losing the feel of either property. And as tricky as I think it would be, I could even imagine them crossing Guardians with Daredevil and making it work. It's the same formula that they've been doing in the comics for decades.

I look at the Justice League trailer and it seems like everything has this dark blue filter over it. For example, when Bruce Wayne goes to recruit the Flash, Barrys room is super dark despite Barry being a awestruck and goofy. Why wouldn't Barrys environment be bright and full of wonder...like his character is? I mean, Bruce might as well be in the Batcave.

I'm sure once the reviews for SvB came in, Warners wrote off Suicide Squad, knowing it wouldn't do well. I'm assuming WW and JL scripts were already in the works before SvB, and probably went into massive rewrites? Or didn't? I'm curious to see where it all goes....
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

The DC T.V shows Flash, Arrow, Legends, Supergirl, Preacher, and Izombie, are all fun shows and yet DC movies are dark and boring. I never liked any of the three Nolan Batman movies for the same reason . The Flash movie looks already like another failure to add to the DC collection and getting tired of Jason Mamoa as Aquaman too !

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

It will be interesting to see how it does this weekend. Bad word of mouth seems to be spreading quickly.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 30, 2015

Time for WB to call in the Salvage Squad to avoid anymore disasters. I really wanted to like Suicide Squad (I mean really), but it has absolutely nothing going for it at all. After reading through the reviews I couldn't imagine it being quite so bad, but it really is. I really can't make any positive comments apart from Margot Robbie. Oh, and the soundtrack. They've picked some pretty cool tracks. Apart from that though it's a two thumbs down from me. A generous 3/10.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

This has got to be the funniest review I've read yet.

"It's like looking forward to Christmas all year and then waking up on the big day to find Santa Claus sprawled out dead under your tree." Reason Online

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

You know, with BvS, I was noticing some initial strained positive reactions. I'm not seeing that much here.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ One has to wonder if there might be a Green Lantern affect on the box office this weekend. Having so many people see it and deplore it just as much as the critics has got to be lethal WOM.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                          This has got to be the funniest review I've read yet.

"It's like looking forward to Christmas all year and then waking up on the big day to find Santa Claus sprawled out dead under your tree." Reason Online

lol yeah ive had xmass like that one

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

If you want to waste money on something that sucks, this is Kandy.

funny_stuff_ugly31.jpg
                            Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 5, '16, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 3, 2009

looks like money well spent

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                                You know, with BvS, I was noticing some initial strained positive reactions. I'm not seeing that much here.

Chris
                                August 5th (today) is the official release date... so that might have something to do with it.

That said: I'm a tough critic when it comes to superhero movies.

And the more I get burned, the more I tend to pull back from the genre as a whole (the "live-action" part anyways) and the less I give "generous" reviews (maybe others here are going through something similar?)---- for my part, I was in shock after the BvS release... I tried to stay positive... tried to rally with those here that wanted BvS to be a good one.

Then reality set in: BvS wasn't just "I like ASM2 better than most critics/fans because I'm irritated that the first ASM got any credit at all and ASM2 is tighter than ASM and has a Spidey more how I pictured" bad...

Nope....

BvS was one of the worst superhero movies ever made, taking into consideration what they had to work with as far as that particular match up.... I mean yeah some of the performances were solid... and it looked kinda cool.... but that stuff means next to nothing to me. Excuses, excuses. Jeez, if I hear one more "TFA is worse than the prequels for special effects reasons", I'll eat my lightsaber.

The great take on the Wonder Woman character was a nice thing---but, really, what a sad movie for "that" to happen in.

I thought Suicide Squad was going to KILL... box-office, reviews... all of it...and I was banking it all on the fact that the writer of SS is the writer of what I think is one of the greatest movies EVER MADE: Training Day. TD has a great story/script. And a bunch of other stuff----but really what I loved was the TD script.

So now I hear the SS film is disjointed storywise. Lotsa flashbacks. The Joker doesn't appear much. Meh.

So, now, I don't even know if I'll even go see SS in the theater----same goes for seeing WW upon release.

I figure I could never miss a movie that Superman appears in---so I suppose I'll go see JL when it comes out. Especially to see what they do with AQuaman and WW playing on the same team. If I never see Batman in a movie again... I'll live. Although seeing Leto's Joker in a full-length will pull me in. I'm too big a Joker fan not to go see a Joker-centric movie.
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎