Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
    How's this for a group of fans in denial?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...z5bfJHp0r-pK1w
    LOL what a joke...these people aren't helping their case, they just come off as a bunch of crybabies.

Maybe they should hold their breath 'til everyone likes it.

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

My local multiplex has this movie schedule for 13 showings each day starting Friday. That includes the various format and seating options. I am very curious to see how this movie does. Sooner or later a comic book inspired film is going to be an expensive flop critically and commercially. It's inevitable. My concern isn't for an individual film but the effect such a flop will have on films in development. I have no interest in this movie which is just my personal preference. If this movie doesn't do well it could mean a movie I would want to see will not get made. That's my concern.

If this movie bombs, especially with it occurring in the same year as Batman vs Superman, I would imagine Warner Brothers taking a long hard look at plans for more DC based films.

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Watched it tonight. It's a mess of a movie. It moves well and is relatively entertaining, but also gives you little to care about and the main plot is just kind of there. Their mission is pretty blah. I will say they nailed the Joker / Harley Quinn relationship, though I never got used to The Joker's new look. A real mixed bag, more fun than Batman Superman, but only slightly better in quality.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 14, 2012

Hate is a strong word, but would have walked out halfway through if my wife wasn't with me. 40 minutes of two-dimensional character backstory, a disjointed plot, a lacklustre script... eventually you can actually see that the actors didn't care anymore. And Leto as the Joker? What a joke.
          Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Welp, wondering why I keep saying current WB is not long for this world?

101 on how not to go into production...

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I can't figure out why WB can't get it right. They have to be able to get the right people at some point. It's mind boggling.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

All I'll say for now is that I am already humiliated----no matter how good it does----I never, ever, ever expected it to score so low and to get the overall reviews it's getting. Not just the reviews from RT but from YouTube reviewers also. I might not even go see WW in theaters because of this offering from WB----just on principle.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Goblin19
                  I can't figure out why WB can't get it right. They have to be able to get the right people at some point. It's mind boggling.
                  I think part of it is the higher-ups don't or can't trust their directors. If I remember correctly once Deadpool became a massive hit, WB demanded reshoots to add more humor to Squad.
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 30, 2015

Just got back and I'm with the critics on this one. The film is absolutely diabolical. Had to stop myself from walking out just to say that I'd seen the whole show. Margot Robbie steals the show and that's for sure, just felt at times though that she wasn't quite bonkers enough for Harley (perhaps that's just me). As for the others characters, I really couldn't care any less to be completely honest. Leto as The Joker.... Speechless.

WB really are in the **** now. How are they managing to get it so wrong?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm a long-time, die hard DC fan and the Marvel films are generally making me like their characters more. As for my childhood favorites, WW looks good but I'm just despairing otherwise. I try not to think about Capt. Marvel and Aquaman films, the two characters I truly adore.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

I think their biggest problem is who they are aiming these movies at. They're trying to aim at the 20s-30s y.o. crowd when they should be aiming it at everybody.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

^It's the tone of the entire DC universe. Which again, I squarely lay the blame for on Frank Miller. Ever since TDKR Batman has been an utterly joyless character and he's not only gotten progressively worse over the years, he's managed to drag the rest of the DCU down with him. The folks at DC have gotten it drilled into their heads that if dark, gritty and somber works for Batman, well it must work for everybody else too.

Look at Captain America: The First Avenger. That film was set in WWII...one of the darkest periods in human history, and tonally that film was like a day at the circus compared to BVS. Captain America himself was presented as the moral compass of the MU, unlike Superman who has been reduced to a morally ambiguous hero who isn't sure if he wants to fight for justice or say screw you guys, I'm going home.

DC simply doesn't understand their own characters or have any idea what to do with them. Remember, these are the same people who thought the reason Superman wasn't selling was because he wears red underwear. They are completely and utterly clueless.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Exactly, they try to shoehorn everything into Batman's mold, when they all should have their own unique spin. The Flash and Arrow shows get it, not sure why the movies don't. When the Squad tanks will it bring around another reboot or at least removing the guys running the DCU right now?
                            Last edited by thunderbolt; Aug 5, '16, 3:30 AM.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^It's the tone of the entire DC universe. Which again, I squarely lay the blame for on Frank Miller.
                              Not only that, but you let Zack Snyder, a man who just cannot get over his man crushes on Miller and Alan Moore, and their deconstructionist works, set the tone for this entire series of films. Films that were meant to BUILD a universe, not tear one down. Now, from the Wonder Woman and Justice League trailers, it looks like they are trying to course correct from that, but Suicide Squad came too early. No chance to fix what BvS had wrought.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

The success of The Dark Knight is what got us here. It seems they've been trying to recreate that success by giving each movie since the same template. That technique is what worked for Marvel, the difference being they have Iron Man as their template. DC has not been innovative in their approach to their movies so far, that have simply been in the wake of Marvels success and trying to play catch-up.
                                Can you imagine how confused they must have been when Marvel made a great, successful movie about an obscure superhero team that has a raccoon and a tree as two of its members and DC couldn't make SvB work?!? They must have been going out of their minds!
                                I believe Suicide Squad is the last movie DC made before the reviews of SvB came in, right? Is Wonder Woman next or Justice League? The WW trailer looked kind of good, but JL just looked like the Suicide Squad trailer to me. Anyone who was disappointed with SS isn't going to be impressed with JL.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎