Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

Well...I don't blame folks if they have issues attending WB (DC) Movies because of their 'Bait-n-Switch' Promotional Tactics to get people in the seats...it's to be expected in trailers to a degree, but these last few films were blatant misleadings.

I'm still going to try and watch this as a ($5) matinee.
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I'll go see it as a matinee. This way it's cheaper and I'll just sneak in my own grub.
      I expect nothing and hope it has enough laughs to keep me awake on those comfy lounge seats....lol

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

This, after their animation department botched the Killing Joke.

Come to think of it, "Killing Joke" would make a good documentary title which chronicles the DC cinematic series of missteps.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

But, I too will give it a matinee chance.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

I wish Warner Bros had enough faith in their DC properties to stay on course when one movie underperformed, for example, Superman Returns may not have been great, but I could see it leading to a much better sequel. Same with Green Lantern (which I honestly don't think was any better or worse than Thor, which came out the same year and got much better reviews). The had faith in Nolan's Batman, and Dark Knight was a huge hit compared to Batman Begins. I don't think the DC Movieverse would be in any worse shape now if those previous movies were the starting point instead of Man of Steel.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I think Warner Bros biggest problem is they are trying to emulate the success of Marvel product by spending big, advertising bigger, but mimicking styles already used, while Marvel is getting its product out to different studios, (not just its own) and different approaches are being tested. I think some of the theories floating around the net about there being this bias for the Marvel Studios product from critics is essentially a witch hunt born of frustration. Marvel license characters have not run a perfect race by any stretch. Do I really need to mention the Fantastic Four debacle just for starters? How about the under-performers? The rebooted Spider-man franchise which most of us thought was a mistake is already dead after two films with yet another actor now playing Parker for ANOTHER reboot. Then we have the Hulk films each of which never did much of anything. And what about the b-listers? We have Ghost Rider, Daredevil (thanks Ben), Elektra, Punisher, or the Blade series which started out good but burned out. The latest movies in the X-Men universe and even the stand alone Wolverine movies have been soft hits.

In fact, if you look at the genre, it was the Dark Knight that broke through the billion dollar mark first. But ever since that trilogy, Warner Bros has been essentially chasing it's tail once Avengers broke big for Marvel. That's really been the focal point of these two licenses that started this conversation. "How does Warner Bros emulate the Avengers?" And it's bled out from there into any number of conspiracy theories. So I really don't think Marvel is doing anything terribly perfect in this current cycle of superhero movies that Warner Bros hasn't already done before them. It's just the perception that Marvel has had the upper hand since the Avengers. And like most things, perception often times gets misread as reality.

The only thing I see Marvel doing better, is continuing to make the product without hesitation. So for every miscue like the Fantastic Four, you get a Deadpool. For a under performing Spider-man movie you get a Guardians of the Galaxy. The licensed product is staying visible. Outside of the Avengers, Iron man, and Captain America, most Marvel product are soft hits, not mega blockbusters. It's smart business because they're constantly in the market with allot of product, while Warner Bros jumps in occasionally with hoopla that would make a Roman Soldier blush, proclaiming each film the second coming to which they all under perform (as they should). So that to me seems to be the real problem. Warner Bros is constantly trying to reinvent the wheel, while Marvel is combing through their vast network of heroes to make new movies. Perhaps if Warner bros should emulate anything it's to fully invest in the entire catalog and go make those movies, instead of looking for the next big event film.
              Last edited by MIB41; Aug 3, '16, 1:49 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

There was a massive management change during MOS release. We talked about it at the time. What we're seeing is "All Is Well" productions.

Whole mess of people were going to get fired if Squad pulls a MOS/BvS, which it's most likely going to. Wonder Woman seems to have halted execution. I don't know if Time-Warner has set an internal number yet on WW's reception. Do they expect Iron Man or Iron Man 3 money? Do they see it as a start of a franchise, or because she's established, are they expecting sequel money? Big difference.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                  This, after their animation department botched the Killing Joke.

Come to think of it, "Killing Joke" would make a good documentary title which chronicles the DC cinematic series of missteps.
                  What happened with the Killing Joke? I hadn't heard anything about that.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

How's this for a group of fans in denial?

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

Not surprising. That's how people are today. No one can listen to an opposing opinion anymore without taking it personally.
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

The crazy thing is... It could have been their Deadpool. Harley Quinn is a great character to put on the big screen, and the Margot Robbie casting seems pretty darn perfect. The previews have Harley front and center for a reason. But the difference between Marvel and DC is-- Marvel has the confidence in the source material to put out a non-A List character. Let the movie introduce people to the character and make them fall in love with them. DC clearly does not, so everything is "reimagined", overstuffed, cameos poorly shoehorned in...

Just to be clear, I don't believe that Marvel has the only formula that could work. Donner, Burton, Nolan... all very different filmmakers who were able to make great DC superhero flicks. We know if can be done. I just don't think the current clowns at WB/DC can do it.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

The preview might feature lots of Margot Robbie/Harley Quinn...but it's Will Smith/Deadshot who gets the most screen time according to vast reviews I've read...argh...friggin' Will Smith...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 30, 2015

I'm taking no notice of any of it. I'll go see it for myself and make my own mind up. After all, the viewer is the reviewer.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              What happened with the Killing Joke? I hadn't heard anything about that.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

the review I read in USA today said the movie is really good. Will Smith's best movie in years, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto are great and leave you wanting more. they said Jai Cortney doesn't get enough screen time, great cameo by an unmade hero(Flash) and lots more Batman than you would expect

I am looking forward to this movie

I will talk about the Killing Joke in another thread

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎