Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Ouch...

Figuring they're all expendable, a U.S. intelligence officer decides to assemble a team of dangerous, incarcerated supervillains for a top-secret mission. Now armed with government weapons, Deadshot (Will Smith), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc and other despicable inmates must learn to work together. Dubbed Task Force X, the criminals unite to battle a mysterious and powerful entity, while the diabolical Joker (Jared Leto) launches an evil agenda of his own.

sigpic
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I'll be glad when this finally gets released. I have no interest in seeing it but I am tired of seeing the preview when I go to the movies.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

This movie has a lot of buzz going in. More than I anticipated, considering the rather tepid response to BVS. It will be interesting to see how it does this weekend, and where it goes from there.

I've personally waffled on it back and forth. Leto's Joker is a total turn-off from what I've seen, and hearing about his behind-the-scenes antics hasn't helped. The rest of the movie is looking slightly more appealing to me as time goes along.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

Is Leto's Joker based on the current comic book appearance or was it created for the movie? I'm just curious.

Comment

• haggis
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 17, 2008

I will go see it and judge it on its merits. Previews looked good to me. I would love to see a DC movie that lives up to the hype again.
          No exclusives and no chase figures, please - I'm Canadian!

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

I'll still go see it...judge for myself...
            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Is Leto's Joker based on the current comic book appearance or was it created for the movie? I'm just curious.
              While I've been out of monthly Bat-books for the better part of a decade, this looks to be a unique take. So you can't blame anyone else for this.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Previews are just other people's subjective opinions. Still going to see it next week.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Marvelmania
                  A Ray of Sunshine
                  • Jun 17, 2001

I'll go and see it just to see Margot Robbie

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

From everything I have read, the Joker has minimal screen time (like maybe 15 minutes?), which is fine with me. He looks like a Comic-con reject. This score is not surprising to me. I know pre-sales look descent but it's hard to know how hard any of those numbers are against the predictions which I think are 80% hype. Looks to be another BVS 'one-big-weekend-then-crater' event.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Eastwood is....nobody. Un-frickin-believable.

Tapping out on WB. Incompetence. I mean, they couldn't make Pine Hal Jordan...whatever. But Eastwood...not possible to even shoot a mid-credit?

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Wow. It's rating has dropped to 35%...if this film is a dud, I expect a halt to any more DC films past Wonder Woman, which honestly looks good, but still a bit too dark IMO.

DC and WB desperately need to hire people who understand these characters to bring them to the screen. Zack Snyder's self indulgent masochistic view of the DC universe is killing any hope the DCU ever has of competing with the MCU. The tone he's created is not only toxic, it's even spilling over into the productions he's not directing. So far out of eight films released in the last decade five have been total flops or misfires...Superman Returns, Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Man of Steel, BVS, and now it looks like Suicide Squad is set to join them.

It may end up falling to Wonder Woman to reinvigorate the DC brand at the box office. I only hope it won't be too late. There are so many great DC characters I would love to see adapted to the screen, but dammit they gotta get past this doom and gloom style of storytelling. They're comic books, not Shakespeare. Have some fun.

The current DCU has no place in it for characters like Plastic Man, or Mxyzptlk, or Bizarro...and that's part of the problem. Marvel gets it. They've created a cinematic universe that is able to tackle some serious material, then throw a talking Raccoon at you and it all just works. Nothing feels out of place and everything seems possible.

The DCU seems very small by comparison, and that's a shame.
                        I want to see Batman and Robin cruising around Gotham City in an actual Batmobile...with fins. Not some over-militarized quasi tank. I want to see Superman smile again...and rescue people. I want to see Aquaman, not tattooed Conan, riding a giant seahorse...maybe someday.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

I'll still go see this, regardless of any negative preview feedback or ratings.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

The first teasers looked really bad...dark, too serious, not fun. Then they recently put out a Harley Quinn focused teaser that looked really fun. It appeared to be in response to the vibe of Deadpool.

If I hadn't seen those first trailers from last year, the new one would have led me to expect something really fun like Deadpool was, and it sounds like this movie isn't much like Deadpool at all. If that's the case, then the low reviews could stem from that.

I'll maybe check it out when it's on TBS.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• phil
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 11, 2007

As I said, I have no interest in this movie but I am curious to know what fans think of it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎