Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

help wanted for value and background on early 1960 overseas tour of duty jacket

bought this jacket from a ex service man many years ago ,if i remember correctly he said he and his buddies had them made out in the east while on a tour of duty ,said he had treasured it and worn it proudly for many years but recently it was causing a adverse reaction when he wore it out ,this was as best as i can remember the early 2000s , not sure if this was political or just down to knobheads mocking a older guy with a satin jacket on ,anyway long story short ,it was way too small for me but i always had a fondness for vintage stuff ,i didnt need the money but he sure looked like he did so i bought it ,
    flash forward and my daughter has now decided its a cool retro item and has designs on it
    i love her to bits , it goes with out saying but ,how can i put this "she's heavy on clothing on a night out" ,drinking smoking and crowds ,and delicate 54 year old clothing don't really mix
    so im looking for a bit more info as to its history,tradition and possible value before turning it loose to the not so tender mercies of the saturday night crowd ,i can alway buy her a repro modern lookalikee one if needs be ,i know its a long shot but thought it worth the ask

thanks to all or any that can help cheers
    Last edited by libby 1957dog; Jul 30, '16, 10:50 AM.
  • darkmonkeygod
    Career Member
    • Sep 5, 2005

Beautiful jacket! Sent this link to dear friend who specializes in this type of thing. I don't know the ins and outs of that world as far as value, but I'd buy her a new repro which can handle the rough and tumble. This piece of history won't stand up to more shore leave.

I'll let you know what my pal says, but I'm pretty sure it'll be along the lines of "Oh, no, please don't let that get thrashed."

Comment

• libby 1957dog
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
      Beautiful jacket! Sent this link to dear friend who specializes in this type of thing. I don't know the ins and outs of that world as far as value, but I'd buy her a new repro which can handle the rough and tumble. This piece of history won't stand up to more shore leave.

I'll let you know what my pal says, but I'm pretty sure it'll be along the lines of "Oh, no, please don't let that get thrashed."
      thanks pal really appreciate it

Comment

• Carmelkettle
        Museum Patron
        • May 26, 2015

That era is a little more recent than my field of knowledge, but it appears to be a 'shore leave' jacket that were popular ways to commemorate/remember a tour of duty, often bought by a group of friends at some questionable tailor shop just off the docks. Similar to tattoos, but less permanent. The embroidery detail and style - as well as the style of the bird - I would say is Philippines/Hong Kong. I don't know the significance of the bird or the stick it's holding in it's mouth - during the war that could be considered a 'clean sweep' symbol, but in 1962 that would be impossible. My mothers first husband was stationed in the Philippines in the 1950's, and this is very similar to some of the 'souvenirs' he sent home. The stylized Petty Officer insignia on the front was probably unique to each buyer, indicating rank. Without a name, unit or ship identification, it's interesting but has little historical value. It's rare to find something like this without a ship ID as his ship was usually something the sailor was proud of - which makes me think this type item was looked down upon by this ships captain and he prohibited the use of ship ID on non-authorized clothing. I can't place the 'Arrow' zipper pull but there were hundreds of off-brand zipper manufacturers in the Orient. I've seen 'Arrow' pulls before usually on lower-priced jackets, not custom made - and in the Orient, at that time, there could be more than one company that used the 'Arrow' name!
        If it's in relatively good condition - the fabric not thin or seams ripping - I'd say let your daughter enjoy it, with the lecture this represents someone's life, treat it with respect just as you'd expect someone to treat your stuff with respect. Before you or your daughter had it, I'm sure the jacket saw it's share of smoking, drinking and crowds. It should be worn and enjoyed for what it is, not necessarily belong behind glass or packed away.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎