Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else like The East Side Kids ghost/monster movies ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Anybody else like The East Side Kids ghost/monster movies ?

Just watched Spooks Run Wild last night and it brought back the good old days in the 70's when me and my brother used to watch "East Side Comedy" theatre every Sunday at 11:00am hosted by John Byner.

Everytime they played a spook story it was icing on the cake
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I have no idea what it is you are referring to. Must have been an east coast thing?

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      I have no idea what it is you are referring to. Must have been an east coast thing?
      The East Side Kids were group of late teens (at least they played they were teens) in a string of movies in the 1940's - 1950's.

They starred actors Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall (Hall is on the cover of Sgt Pepper)

Basically they were comedy's about an inner city "gang" that get in light trouble but never too much because they have good hearts.

Also Sunshine Sammy of Our Gang was a regular as the gang's only black member.

Out of the 20+ movies they made a good few were devoted to ghost and monsters ... One starred Bella Lugosi

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        East Side Kids or the Bowery Boys, misfit kids gang living in the Bowery section of New York.
        I believe the first movie came out in 1938 and lasted almost 20 years, they hung out in a candy shop.

It was entertaining rated G comedy, some funny routines with a mixture of slapstick thrown in, although
        the first couple of movies were more of a serious nature, Humphry Bogart was in the first film as a wanted
        criminal on the run, whom the kids idolized, but were quickly taught a lesson.

Got a bit ridiculous in the later years when they went from tough guy little rascals to 30 year old goof balls.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I like The East Side Kids movies as well as The Bowery Boys. The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters is good, silly fun.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Sounds like some good entertainment compared to what is produced today. I'll have to try to find some to watch.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

"East Side Kids. The East Side Kids were characters in a series of films released by Monogram Pictures from 1940 through 1945. Many of them were originally part of The Dead End Kids and The Little Tough Guys, and several of them later became members of The Bowery Boys."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I have vague memories of watching The Bowery Boys movies at my grandparents house. My pappaw was a big fan of them, and Abbot & Costello. While I've gone back and watched (and own) many of the A&C movies, the Bowery Boys films haven't really re=entered my radar much. I do have a copy of Spooks Run Wild on DVD, but man, that's one crappy transfer, and is hard to watch, unfortunately.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

Unfortunetly most of the The East Side Kids movies that are readily available are ones that are out of copyright and some of the print quality and picture quality leave a lot to be desired. Most of them don't look too bad.

TCM was running The Bowery Boys on Saturdays earlier this year. All of their movies are available on Warner Archieve Manufactured on Demand DVD sets.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

You can check the TCM website store, I think they have a collection series of Bowery Boys movies along with Martin and Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎