X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

RIP Jack Davis

I was going to post in the comics section, but so much of Jack Davis' incredible work was also outside of comics. He did so many great movie posters and magazine illustrations that he was just as known and celebrated for his non-comic work.

He was 91 years-old, and only officially retired last year.

About his retirement:
    Jack Davis, the legendary Mad magazine illustrator and movie poster artist, is hanging up his pencils.

• Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Loved his Mad Mad World movie poster.

Think he even did the Man From UNCLE lunchbox

RIP

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
      I was going to post in the comics section, but so much of Jack Davis' incredible work was also outside of comics. He did so many great movie posters and magazine illustrations that he was just as known and celebrated for his non-comic work.
      I did post it there, but you're right, based on the scope of his work it probably belongs here.

As an EC fan, it's been really tough to see a bunch of their artists go during the past five years or so: Williamson, Severin, Feldstein and now Davis. Very sad news.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by cjefferys
        I did post it there, but you're right, based on the scope of his work it probably belongs here.

As an EC fan, it's been really tough to see a bunch of their artists go during the past five years or so: Williamson, Severin, Feldstein and now Davis. Very sad news.
        Yeah - sorry about that. I checked right before I posted but didn't see anything yet, I think we posted around the same time.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Horrible news. What an influence he had on me. His Tales from the Crypt work was just astonishing. People talk about the humor that came through with the horror comics.... it's because of Davis' whimsical linework and talent for exaggerated human expressions and emotion.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Big fan. Also loved the EC work. A comic book legend.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
              Yeah - sorry about that. I checked right before I posted but didn't see anything yet, I think we posted around the same time.
              You have absolutely nothing to apologize for sir.

I'm mostly used to his EC stuff, and it's funny, he was great with the EC horror, war and humor comics but he just couldn't do science-fiction, the genre didn't suit his style. I think Gaines and Feldstein assigned him a SF story or two, but it wasn't a good match at all, so they didn't give him any more after that.

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for sir.
                Cool!

I'm mostly used to his EC stuff, and it's funny, he was great with the EC horror, war and humor comics but he just couldn't do science-fiction, the genre didn't suit his style. I think Gaines and Feldstein assigned him a SF story or two, but it wasn't a good match at all, so they didn't give him any more after that.
                Yeah, that's totally true, even though he's incredible at drawing all kinds of weird monsters his tone or something is wrong for some reason.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

The way Jack Davis drew feet is just about one of my favorite things in the world.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the day had this in my record collection for as long as I can remember.

m

Comment

• Bantha5
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • May 2, 2013

Jack was a long time family friend, I was very sad to hear of his passing. Not only was he an irreplaceable giant of illustration but also a true southern gentlemen. A couple of quick memories of time with Jack, the first time I was invited to his studio he shows me a framed original peanuts panel signed to him by his good friend "sparky". Also, one afternoon my mom asked me to drop something off at Jack's, there is a Fedex shipping tube at the front door, out of curiosity I looked to see who it was from, Will Eisner. I was fortunate enough to receive this from Jack one Christmas, if the house was burning down and I could grab one thing, it would be this.

THATS ME!

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Bantha5
                        Jack was a long time family friend, I was very sad to hear of his passing. Not only was he an irreplaceable giant of illustration but also a true southern gentlemen. A couple of quick memories of time with Jack, the first time I was invited to his studio he shows me a framed original peanuts panel signed to him by his good friend "sparky". Also, one afternoon my mom asked me to drop something off at Jack's, there is a Fedex shipping tube at the front door, out of curiosity I looked to see who it was from, Will Eisner. I was fortunate enough to receive this from Jack one Christmas, if the house was burning down and I could grab one thing, it would be this.

THATS ME!
                        Thank you so much for sharing that, and that piece is outstanding!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

Bantha5.... That is super cool. What a great friend to have made! Yep, in case of a fire, that would be my first thing to grab too. Then, maybe the cat.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Bantha5

THATS ME!
                            Oh my god, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing! I really envy you for knowing him, and everything I've ever heard about him as a person has been nothing but positive, as you say, a southern gentleman.

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Great, talented artist that I respect and relate to out of nostalgia....that said: the "Jack Davis" style always hit me as unnerving (in a harmless "MAD Mag" type way, of course).

His take on human anatomy is the stuff of nightmares... "grotesque" might be a good word to communicate what I mean.

I get it. There was a significant place for a talent like him--- a more mainstream choice than, say, an "R Crumb".

RIP to a pop culture giant.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎