X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    Was the '90s Phantom reissue reverse-engineered, D?
    No that one's original. He was in the Luminators lineup in 1991 prior to a regular Monogram release in 1994 along with Cinemodels long box release from 1994. The Luminators line consisted of six kits. Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Wolfman, Phantom, and Kong. There were plans to do more, as a prototype Superman in neon pink exists. That's a legend among collectors.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
      One eyed, wonder
      • Dec 17, 2009

Luminators were big for our Seattle U-District store. Found a model kit distributor and order these kit in large numbers. While Diamond offered the $25 retail kits, we had luminators at $10. They flew off the shelf. Phantom and Kong sold like hotcakes, due to their last releases being so long ago. Never saw the prototype pink Superman. I did see an image of the intended box art on a advance orderform. I believe the other one offered with Superman was Creature.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Luminators are awesome, they gave my kids a life long love of model kits.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^ Did you prep and paint them, or assemble them as neon versions? I ask because I found that neon plastic very difficult to work with for a traditional build-up. Still, it was great to have them as display options and parts resources.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
            No that one's original. He was in the Luminators lineup in 1991 prior to a regular Monogram release in 1994 along with Cinemodels long box release from 1994. The Luminators line consisted of six kits. Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Wolfman, Phantom, and Kong. There were plans to do more, as a prototype Superman in neon pink exists. That's a legend among collectors.
            I appreciate the history. I had a Luminator and two Monogram kits; I didn't know of the Cinemodels release.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
              Luminators were big for our Seattle U-District store. Found a model kit distributor and order these kit in large numbers. While Diamond offered the $25 retail kits, we had luminators at $10. They flew off the shelf. Phantom and Kong sold like hotcakes, due to their last releases being so long ago. Never saw the prototype pink Superman. I did see an image of the intended box art on a advance orderform. I believe the other one offered with Superman was Creature.
              I have one of the original sell sheets with Superman on it. I collect any model kit related ads and display pieces. I'll scan it later when I get home and post it. I have seen a photo of an actual prototype Superman, so it was molded at least for some test shots.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                ^ Did you prep and paint them, or assemble them as neon versions? I ask because I found that neon plastic very difficult to work with for a traditional build-up. Still, it was great to have them as display options and parts resources.
                I'm currently building a Luminators Dracula. You really can't sand any seams or you'll mar the plastic. I just trimmed the parts very carefully with a hobby knife and used cement very sparingly. Looks great so far.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎