X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by ClaudeAtlas
    Caught a viewing last minute on sunday- without fault or technical difficulty. great to experience on the big screen!! headcount had maybe 2 dozen in the audience?! but seeing some young adults was encouraging..
    Awesome!

Comment

• supes
      For the love of Mego's!
      • Jan 19, 2004

Saw it yesterday as well it was awesome! I got sent home from work early and was able to catch the 2pm show. There are still a few really cool movies coming out this year 1989 Batman, The Shining, Gone with the Wind, and I think Gremlins. I love these showings, so far we've done Jaws, the original Ghostbusters and Ferris Buellers day off

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I saw it Wednesday afternoon and it was great to see the film the way it was meant to be seen. Counting me there was a dozen people in the audience. When it was over I asked if there was anyone there who had never seen it before. A kid around 14 said he'd never seen it, enjoyed it and was surprised by the ending. A guy that was probley in his 20s had never seen it before but knew the story and ending and still enjoyed it.

When the interview with "Dr. Zaius" started before the film I wasn't too sure what to expect. At first I thought they were encouraging the audience not to take the film seriously. Fortunetly that quickly passed. The interview was an amusing way to give background on the film and was obviously done out of affection and respect for the film.

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Just saw it tonight, and really enjoyed seeing it on the big screen. The cinematography frankly demands it, especially for the wide landscape shots at the beginning of the film.

Loved the interview with "Dr. Zaius". I don't know who was under that makeup, but he was great...made me laugh out loud a number of times. But it was actually informative as well as entertaining.

Afterwards, since it happened to end right before Star Trek Beyond was starting, I slipped in and saw that one for free. Quite surprisingly good, and actually more Star Trek-y than either of the first two films.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Apjac Corny
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
            That's very cool to hear. What did she think about the makeup?
            She really liked it. And even though the movie is nearly 50 years old she seemed to look and it with reverence and respect and not dismissive like others of her generation might be towards it. She even commented on Kim Hunter's performance in particular and how well she was able to emote through the make-up. She mentioned the way Zira's face lit up when Taylor first spoke.

I'm proud of her. Instead of chasing Pokemon this summer, she's in her little bedroom workshop doing special effects make-ups on herself.

She was the second youngest in the crowd there was one girl younger that her but they left 5 minutes before the end of the film. That's just bad parenting there.

Originally posted by SKotK
            Loved the interview with "Dr. Zaius". I don't know who was under that makeup, but he was great...made me laugh out loud a number of times. But it was actually informative as well as entertaining.
            That was comedian/actor/writer Dana Gould. He's an apes nut and even once owned Roddy McDowall's Hollywood home. He wrote for the Simpsons for a few years and has a pretty good podcast called "The Dana Gould Hour". He talks a lot about old Hollywood and POTA usually will get a mention or two on nearly every show. Dana is definitely "one of us".

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by phil
              I saw it Wednesday afternoon and it was great to see the film the way it was meant to be seen. Counting me there was a dozen people in the audience. When it was over I asked if there was anyone there who had never seen it before. A kid around 14 said he'd never seen it, enjoyed it and was surprised by the ending. A guy that was probley in his 20s had never seen it before but knew the story and ending and still enjoyed it.

When the interview with "Dr. Zaius" started before the film I wasn't too sure what to expect. At first I thought they were encouraging the audience not to take the film seriously. Fortunetly that quickly passed. The interview was an amusing way to give background on the film and was obviously done out of affection and respect for the film.
              Originally posted by SKotK
              Just saw it tonight, and really enjoyed seeing it on the big screen. The cinematography frankly demands it, especially for the wide landscape shots at the beginning of the film.

Afterwards, since it happened to end right before Star Trek Beyond was starting, I slipped in and saw that one for free. Quite surprisingly good, and actually more Star Trek-y than either of the first two films.

--SKot
              Glad you both were able to make it. Yeah, for me, seeing it on the big screen was almost like seeing it for the first time. I liked the Zauis/Dana Gould interview, I was a big fan of his early stand up routines ('90-'95). It took me quite awhile to figure out it was him, it finally clicked when I recognized some of his expressions & mannerisms. I did not know he was a huge Apes fan, but it certainly explains why his "primate" bits back in the day were so damned funny. I thought his makeup looked great in that interview.

We'll be going to see Star Trek this weekend, since we "preempted" it last weekend.

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
              She really liked it. And even though the movie is nearly 50 years old she seemed to look and it with reverence and respect and not dismissive like others of her generation might be towards it. She even commented on Kim Hunter's performance in particular and how well she was able to emote through the make-up. She mentioned the way Zira's face lit up when Taylor first spoke.

I'm proud of her. Instead of chasing Pokemon this summer, she's in her little bedroom workshop doing special effects make-ups on herself.

She was the second youngest in the crowd there was one girl younger that her but they left 5 minutes before the end of the film. That's just bad parenting there.
              Very cool. I was surprised at how well the makeup on the main characters came across on the big screen, some of the background extras (especially during Taylor's breakout scene) not so much. But like you said, production was 49 years ago...hard to believe, isn't it? And yes, Kim Hunter did a fantastic job of projecting. Roddy was pretty good too, but I think he did so much better when he came back for Escape and, of course, on throughout the rest of the series.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

This is what it was like for me to go to Vancouver to see the original 1933 King Kong. POTA is a great choice for a silver screen showing!
                *"She was the second youngest in the crowd there was one girl younger that her but they left 5 minutes before the end of the film. That's just bad parenting there." *Apjac Corny: Bad parenting indeed! What kind of twisted mind could do this to a child? Seriously, if the girl had been bored by the movie, and quitely complained about it to her parents throughout the film, then perhaps they were good parents after all.

Comment

• ClaudeAtlas
                  • Jun 10, 2015

Yes! I thought some of the background apes' make-up during Taylor's "damn dirty ape" capture were pretty crude and laughable!!!..

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                    I liked the Zauis/Dana Gould interview, I was a big fan of his early stand up routines ('90-'95). It took me quite awhile to figure out it was him, it finally clicked when I recognized some of his expressions & mannerisms. I did not know he was a huge Apes fan, but it certainly explains why his "primate" bits back in the day were so damned funny.
                    It doesn't surprise me -- I remember Gould long ago doing a bit about a friend taking him to an S&M club in LA and describing how he gets cuffed to a post for some light lashing from a dominatrix and his perpetually adolescent mind has only POTA as a reference point for it, so he finds himself shouting in Charlton Heston's voice, "I'm from another planet!" (whipsnap sound) "In another solar system!" (whipsnap sound) "What have you done to Landon?!?" (whipsnap sound) . . .

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jan 12, 2016

It's been a few days since I saw this and I'm still buzzing! I've seen the movie over 100 times but I think this is the first time that I actually sat down and watched it since I was a child.

It's funny for as much as I was into Star Wars when I was a kid, I have very little nostalgia for it these days. I saw "The Force Awakens" and instantly forgot about it. The apes movies are just different. I hope TCM does a marathon with all 5 movies. I can't speak for my niece, I don't think she could handle five in a row but I will be there.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by ClaudeAtlas
                        Yes! I thought some of the background apes' make-up during Taylor's "damn dirty ape" capture were pretty crude and laughable!!!..
                        In all fairness, those were masks for the extras--due to time and budget considerations. The ape prosthetics were more complicated and customized in the first film for the principals than they became in the more streamlined sequels.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
                          It's been a few days since I saw this and I'm still buzzing! I've seen the movie over 100 times but I think this is the first time that I actually sat down and watched it since I was a child.

It's funny for as much as I was into Star Wars when I was a kid, I have very little nostalgia for it these days. I saw "The Force Awakens" and instantly forgot about it. The apes movies are just different.
                          This my experience and opinion almost exactly, though I've seen POTA only about 30 times.

I knew Gould right away, because he also has some funny Zauis bits on youtube.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

I don't think I could sit through all five films in a marathon but Double Features of four other films would be fun. I actually saw "Battle" during it's original release.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Alamo Drafthouse will be hosting the original "Planet of the Apes" on August 30th, 2016...

They have theaters in: Ashburn, Austin, Charlottesville, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, El Paso, Houston, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Laredo, Los Angeles, Lubbock, New Braunfels, Omaha, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Francisco, Springfield, Winchester and Yonkers.

drafthouse.com/lubbock/show/planet-of-the-apes

Nowhere near me, but hopefully someone from on here will be able to attend...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎