X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

^ I like that a lot better, actually.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

All Trek will naturally take on modern issues...societal, geopolitical, philosophical...because it's ingrained into the core concept. The difference is the tack back then, and even into TNG, is markedly different than how producers handle these issues today.

The problem isn't diversity, it's how the emphasis is put on diversity.I have no problem with non-hetero/gender characters, but I also have no interest in Star Trek: Torchwood.

And every issue has two sides and I don't mean Left/Right. I mean action/reaction or cause/effect...and we no longer see that from Hollywood productions. It's all produced through a lens of bias confirmation. Last night, METV showed A Private Little War which was an overt commentary on Vietnam and Korea. What was the resolution? Kirk armed the primitive culture!
      That is never going to happen today. Not because "views have evolved" but because the producers do not possess the insight to see another opinion.

Comment

• Thor
        Thunder God
        • Dec 17, 2009

Why does the Discovery have a internal navigational deflector? Nx-01 and the Constitution class ships did not.
        sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

I find it amusing that Star Trek continuing to be Star Trek makes people uncomfortable (though this is not generally stated as such - instead, terms like "politically correct" and "left-wing/liberal" are thrown around). Boundaries are being pushed as to what types of real-life relationships between people are considered acceptable to show on television.

Once upon a time the Kirk/Uhura interracial kiss made people uncomfortable in the same way. If they'd had the term "politically correct" back then, it would have been used to condemn it. But society moved forward, as it will continue to move forward. It's now normal to show interracial relationships on TV and it happens all the time (although it still does bother a few people out there).

I think if Star Trek is continuing to make people uncomfortable, then they're doing it right. Sci-fi is supposed to make you re-think what you've previously accepted as normal, hopefully without being too heavy-handed about it. If the new series can manage to do that, and still maintain good stories and a sense of adventure...then I'm all for it.

And if Star Trek makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should be honest with yourself and sit back and consider why.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 14, 2012

I've been thinking about what the uniforms will look like. Discovery takes place in the same time period that Christopher Pike was captain of the Enterprise, about two years after the pilot episode "The Cage," so I'm thinking they'll be pretty similar to the uniforms in that episode. The women got to wear pants then, which will go over better today. The miniskirts were the style in the 1960s, but modern audiences would probably find them sexist. And I think the jackets they wore on away-team missions looked cool, too. Overall, those uniforms looked slightly more utilitarian and functional than the ones from Kirk's Enterprise. I think I'd like to see the Pike era uniforms, but updated with the insignias, rank braiding, and color schemes from Kirk's Enterprise, sort of bridging the gap between the two time periods.

And I know that technically, Kirk and Co. were still wearing those Pike era uniforms in the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." They didn't switch to their regular uniforms until the first regular series episode. But I'm just going to assume that "Where No Man Had Gone Before" took place on laundry day, and that's all they had to wear. Or maybe they were wearing "throwback" uniforms that day, like the NFL does sometimes.

Another possibility... they were talking about having a female captain in this one, right? Maybe Pike's second-in-command "Number One" could have been promoted to Captain and this could be her ship? And because it's only set 10 years before the Original series, any number of characters from TOS could appear in cameos or guest roles in this series. It's fun stuff to think about.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Didn't they also establish in "Turnabout Intruder" that there had not been a female starship captain? I think you have to accept some minor deviations from canon...

I'd be surprised if they go with Pike-era uniforms. I think they will either go with classic Trek, or something entirely new.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                Didn't they also establish in "Turnabout Intruder" that there had not been a female starship captain?
                Did they? I know that the woman in question THOUGHT she had been turned down for command because was a woman. But did they establish that was actually the case? It's been a long time since I've watched that one. Mostly what I remember is Shatner's so-bad-it's-hysterical performance as a woman in a man's body. Honestly, I think that's one of the worst episodes of the Original Series, although if your in it for Shatner's campy performances, I suppose you could argue it's one of the best.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I need to rewatch that one closely. TOS didn't seem to have a problem--at least in flashbacks--with a woman potentially assuming command (No. 1, Menagerie) or with Uhura being next in line to command after Scotty (where did I read that?). I thought that Dr. Lester was deemed unsuitable because she was unbalanced, not because she was female.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                    Didn't they also establish in "Turnabout Intruder" that there had not been a female starship captain? I think you have to accept some minor deviations from canon...
                    The lead female in Discovery will be a Lt. Cmdr, not a Captain. Whether she finds herself in command due to circumstance, or she's simply a senior officer remains to be disclosed..

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I'd love to see some enlisted perspectives on this show, too. You know, the folk wisdom has been that it's the warrant officers, etc. that keep a ship running.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I'd love to see some enlisted perspectives on this show, too. You know, the folk wisdom has been that it's the warrant officers, etc. that keep a ship running.
                        That reminds me of an excellent TNG episode where the story featured the perspective of a group of young, unknown ensigns..

Junior officers speculate on the reasons for recent unusual actions taken by the command crew near the Cardassian border. Counselor Troi and Commander Riker are sitting together at a table discussing crew evaluations in Ten Forward, trying to decide who would be the best to fill a supervisory position. Riker laments that this is a recurring theme as they did crew evaluations three months ago. He decides that everyone on the ship will get promoted and calls it a night, addressing Troi as "command

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

So for those who cough up the cash for CBS All Access, guess what? You're still getting commercials. 12 minutes of them every episode:

CBS All Access' new series "Star Trek: Discovery" faces challenges, including serialization and a platform with a monthly fee and ads.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                            The lead female in Discovery will be a Lt. Cmdr, not a Captain. Whether she finds herself in command due to circumstance, or she's simply a senior officer remains to be disclosed..
                            there's a theory floating around out there that it's going to be Number One, the character Majel Barrett portrayed in the original pilot/The Cage.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                              So for those who cough up the cash for CBS All Access, guess what? You're still getting commercials. 12 minutes of them every episode:

http://variety.com/2016/voices/colum...ss-1201843135/
                              It'll be on Netflix, too. No commercials.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                It'll be on Netflix, too. No commercials.
                                From what I understood it was only available on Netflix outside the U.S. I could be wrong though, but I heard the Netflix rumor at a show I was at in July, checked around and someone informed me the deal Netflix made for it was only for subscribers outside the U.S. The source has been reliable, but I haven't been able to verify it beyond him though.

-M
                                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎