X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
    Yeah...I won't be signing up for CBS streaming right away.
    you don't have to, its coming to Netflix, too. I'd never cave in for a tv show and sign up for another service. This does sound very paint by numbers Trek.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

[QUOTE=thunderbolt;1299610]This does sound very paint by numbers Trek.[/QUOTE

Really? Because it seems to me that the fear here is that it won't be.

I guess we'll know in a few months after the premiere, when our fan speculation morphs into what the show could/should/would have been if handled differently.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Majere
        Banned
        • Apr 17, 2016

[QUOTE=PNGwynne;1299611]
        Originally posted by thunderbolt
        This does sound very paint by numbers Trek.[/QUOTE

Really? Because it seems to me that the fear here is that it won't be.

I guess we'll know in a few months after the premiere, when our fan speculation morphs into what the show could/should/would have been if handled differently.
        As I said before, I'm fine with a format change. I'm not fine with PC nonsense being injected.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

How dare Star Trek embrace diversity ........oh wait.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

Brian, the original Star Trek embrassed diversity and was ground breaking. The difference here is that this new show and every other show, comic, etc are all doing it as bandwagon jumping. It's just so predictable and overdone.
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

Yeah Brian... enough with this diversity nonsense. ;-)
              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                Brian, the original Star Trek embrassed diversity and was ground breaking. The difference here is that this new show and every other show, comic, etc are all doing it as bandwagon jumping. It's just so predictable and overdone.
                I disagree, I believe this is absolutely embracing the spirit of Star Trek but I don't expect to change anybody's mind.

I'd rather live in a world where people punched down than up, that's all.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

One man's PC concession is another man's diversity. It's a matter of (political) taste.

As to this new show, please enlighten me as to why it's cultural Armageddon. Judging from the linked interviews, especially since the hardware changes have been somewhat dismissed, it will feature:

* A strong female lead. Been done already.
                  *More aliens. This is bad?
                  *Robots. Done already, and androids, too.
                  *Season-long story arcs, with homages to the original show. How is this bad?
                  *A gay character. Aha, that must be it! Scary and pandering? When in fact Star Trek could have gently and inobtrusively addressed this way back in the '90s with a background scene in 10 Forward. Instead of with Trill symbiotes and hermaphrodite alien story lines.

Or is the concern that the show won't be another slice of classic manly sci-fi action with a veneer of liberal tokenism that made the original show so palatable? Who knows? I find TOS silly at times, but iconic and deservedly so. TNG seems insufferable now. I liked the later shows, particularly DS9 and Enterprise. Let's see what happens anew.

I'm sure this post will mark me as a liberal. Mea culpa, I never thought that was a bad thing as a Trek fan.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 14, '16, 8:25 AM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

[QUOTE=Majere;1299616]
                    Originally posted by PNGwynne

As I said before, I'm fine with a format change. I'm not fine with PC nonsense being injected.
                    Honestly, I'm glad you're here. I like your enthusiasm and I can tell you enjoy the dolls and toys.

But, you effectively derailed this thread at post #14.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

I heard Shatner is open to a cameo role only if his character makes a difference. Would be pretty neat if they're able to inject Kirk into the show somehow.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I'd love that, I like Kirk even when I don't like Shatner.

Comment

• Majere
                          Banned
                          • Apr 17, 2016

[QUOTE=PNGwynne;1299626]
                          Originally posted by Majere

Honestly, I'm glad you're here. I like your enthusiasm and I can tell you enjoy the dolls and toys.

But, you effectively derailed this thread at post #14.
                          Thanks for the kind words. I'll let the discussion die here. Not becaue I don't think what we are discussing isn't worth discussing, but simply because the the moderators here haven chosen to delete my posts. I thought diversity of thought would be the most important, but I guess not.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

^ I've reread this thread several times--closely, including the links. I don't see that your point of view or posts have been excised. The moderator posts herein have been measured and avoided ad hominem attacks.

I think the show can be discussed. I'd suggest though that if you have concerns with moderation, contacting one via PM will be much more successful than in a public post.

Comment

• Majere
                              Banned
                              • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              ^ I've reread this thread several times--closely, including the links. I don't see that your point of view or posts have been excised. The moderator posts herein have been measured and avoided ad hominem attacks.

I think the show can be discussed. I'd suggest though that if you have concerns with moderation, contacting one via PM will be much more successful than in a public post.
                              I don't have any concerns. I just wanted you to know that I appreciated your kind words, and to let you know why I wouldn't be responding.

As for my post, it was deleted within several minutes of posting. I doubt you had a chance to see it before it was gone. I don't think I did anything wrong, other than disagree with an opinion that had already been stated by someone else, but whatever. It's no big deal to me. It's typical of leftists, actually. I'm not bothered or concerned. I expect it. That's just the way some people are.

Comment

• knight errant00
                                8 Inch Action Figure
                                • Nov 15, 2005

So, back to the less-contentious original intent of this thread, I saw this really cool fan take on the McQuarrie Enterprise redesign. What I like about this is the kinda 2001 vibe to it.

enterprise_pott_188.jpg

More here:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎