X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
    The anthology approach was rumored, but it Fuller has apparently debunked it.
    Yeah, I should correct what I wrote earlier, Fuller hasn't really discussed what would be in store for season 2, whether it would be a completely different "everything" than what we saw in S1. What he has said is that the 13 episode S1 will tell a complete story ("like a novel, and each ep is like a chapter"), and the story line will complete with the end of season.

He also said more than one crew will be featured. Again, he didn't really mention if that includes S1, or refers to subsequent seasons..

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Majere
      The thing I am wary of is Fuller all but guaranteeing that this show will serve to further the Leftist politicial agenda that is dominating the entertainment industry at the moment. Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry's progressive ideals have very little in common with that of the new Left, and I would really just prefer people who don't understand Gene's views to leave the politics out of the show altogether, rather than insert their own radically flawed interpretation of it.
      Just as you prefer to leave the politics out of the show, we tend to try to leave the politics out of the Mego Museum forum discussion as best we can.
      (it's actually policy around these here parts)

I personally don't see any kind of political agendas in Hannibal or Pushing Daisies, which are a couple of my favourite shows, but I believe they are also fairly wide open to interpretation, given the heightened dream-atmosphere of the former and the whimsical fantasy landscape of the latter.

Keeping in mind the goalposts of what I perceive as "Left" or "Right" are radically different than someone below the physical and cultural border of say, the 49th parallel, eh? 8)
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Majere
        Banned
        • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by samurainoir
        Just as you prefer to leave the politics out of the show, we tend to try to leave the politics out of the Mego Museum forum discussion as best we can.
        (it's actually policy around these here parts)
        Which is why I offered no opinion on political issues, only a fear that personal politics would be inserted into the franchise.

I personally don't see any kind of political agendas in Hannibal or Pushing Daisies, which are a couple of my favourite shows, but I believe they are also fairly wide open to interpretation, given the heightened dream-atmosphere of the former and the whimsical fantasy landscape of the latter.
        Showrunner Bryan Fuller reveals new Star Trek series details, including episode count, season long arcs, being on a streaming service, progressiveness and more.

Keeping in mind the goalposts of what I perceive as "Left" or "Right" are radically different than someone below the physical and cultural border of say, the 49th parallel, eh? 8)
        I think it is fairly obvious what the new Left stands for to anyone living in the western world. But as this is not a forum for politics, I will not discuss it further.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Spyweb007
          I picked up on the Klingon look and sound too. They originally said this would take place after Undiscovered Country, so maybe it is a Klingon/Federation collaboration on the ship design with a crew combining both?
          I think that was before Hemsworth signed on for Trek4. The Discovery ship number alone should mean it's pre-1701. The asteroid docking station is also a classic 70's sci-fi concept about how early space travel would occur. Then add the McQuarrie model and a very Jerry Goldsmith score.

So after Enterprise but before TOS. That would also explain the hardline crackdown on fan films. Axanar was mining those same pre-Kirk decades.

I would not be shocked if the fan films were used as the pitch for the new series. It's SOP for producers to utilize anything where the copyright is ambiguous as a pre-viz cost-saving measure. Fuller implied at SDCC they have a rights issue to hammer out with McQuarrie's estate.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

Should be interesting to see what they come up with, I miss Trek on TV.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Which is why I offered no opinion on political issues, only a fear that personal politics would be inserted into the franchise.

Showrunner Bryan Fuller reveals new Star Trek series details, including episode count, season long arcs, being on a streaming service, progressiveness and more.

I think it is fairly obvious what the new Left stands for to anyone living in the western world. But as this is not a forum for politics, I will not discuss it further.
              Good for Bryan Fuller for announcing a Canadian as his first hire in the form of Hannibal and Cube director Vincenzo Natali. 8)

I still see no such indication of overt politics from what Bryan Fuller has stated in the rather thin-in-content interview you've cited. Lots of speculation from the interviewer, but even Fuller's loosely stated "progressive" plans aren't trailblazing anywhere Trek hasn't already gone before in any of it's iterations. Nor have I really seen overt politics in any of his previous shows, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, the 13 Mockingbird Lane pilot, and Hannibal. I think your fears are simply a certain degree of projection here, given that we haven't really seen any such evidence in past work, nor any true indication of how the show will actually play out.

and no, it is obviously not the same for anyone living in the western world. At least in Canada, because we're the only country on this planet with multiculturalism written into its constitution, and that's the way it's been for close to a half century. What you still consider "New Left" politics, we've ratified across the spectrum for the past decade, and merely see it as an equitable way of life for everyone, from Right, Left, Upside Down, and Inside Out, all agree debate is closed every time someone tries to dredge it back up. We're actually living utopian 23rd century Star Trek lifestyles up here. I live in the most culturally diverse city in the whole wide world and for the most part, everyone gets along. We're the federation with toques and snowmobiles instead of replicators and nacelles. Because our Prime Minister is a Trekkie.

seriously!

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 27, '16, 1:22 AM.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Majere
                Banned
                • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by samurainoir
                Good for Bryan Fuller for announcing a Canadian as his first hire in the form of Hannibal and Cube director Vincenzo Natali. 8)

I still see no such indication of overt politics from what Bryan Fuller has stated in the rather thin-in-content interview you've cited. Lots of speculation from the interviewer, but even Fuller's loosely stated "progressive" plans aren't trailblazing anywhere Trek hasn't already gone before in any of it's iterations. Nor have I really seen overt politics in any of his previous shows, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, the 13 Mockingbird Lane pilot, and Hannibal. I think your fears are simply a certain degree of projection here, given that we haven't really seen any such evidence in past work, nor any true indication of how the show will actually play out.

and no, it is obviously not the same for anyone living in the western world. At least in Canada, because we're the only country on this planet with multiculturalism written into its constitution, and that's the way it's been for close to a half century. What you still consider "New Left" politics, we've ratified across the spectrum for the past decade, and merely see it as an equitable way of life for everyone, from Right, Left, Upside Down, and Inside Out, all agree debate is closed every time someone tries to dredge it back up. We're actually living utopian 23rd century Star Trek lifestyles up here. I live in the most culturally diverse city in the whole wide world and for the most part, everyone gets along. We're the federation with toques and snowmobiles instead of replicators and nacelles. Because our Prime Minister is a Trekkie.

seriously!

We're getting awfully close to a political discussion here, aren't we? I couldn't care less about your prime minister, or your views on Canada's "multicultural" constitution. Let's just leave that nonsense out of this forum, please.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

We're getting awfully close to a political discussion here, aren't we? I couldn't care less about your prime minister, or your views on Canada's "multicultural" constitution. Let's just leave that nonsense out of this forum, please.
                  Wow, look at you with your three months and 63 posts laying down the law to a respected 10 year member..

You probably should just quit while you're behind.

Maybe send an email off to Fuller recommending your services in correctly interpreting Gene's vision.. you know.. so the show doesn't end up so radically, tragically flawed..

Comment

• Majere
                    Banned
                    • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    Wow, look at you with your three months and 63 posts laying down the law to a respected 10 year member..

You probably should just quit while you're behind.

Maybe send an email off to Fuller recommending your services in correctly interpreting Gene's vision.. you know.. so the show doesn't end up so radically, tragically flawed..
                    I'm sorry, does the forum policy guidelines only apply to new members? My apologies if so. I was under the assumption that it applied to all members equally. I appreciate the correction, and the respectful way in which it was delivered.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Time to chill. Maj, there are people here who do and don't agree with you, but the rule has always been to leave ideology outside. Sam is never one to breach that rule or start an argument.

The debate to be had regarding Trek ideology: Roddenberry or Gene L Coon. I'm with Coon. What we're seeing with Fuller is his language sides with Roddenberry but the teaser trailer is way more Coon. If he actually tries to implement what Roddenberry talked about in the 70's and later, it's going to be very meh.

Personally, I think Fuller's highly overrated. His Munster's reboot was inane and Hannibal was pure exploitation.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
                        Time to chill.
                        Amen.

Personally, I think Fuller's highly overrated. His Munster's reboot was inane and Hannibal was pure exploitation.
                        But Pushing Daisies was sublime, and gone too soon...

Comment

• Majere
                          Banned
                          • Apr 17, 2016

Time to chill. Maj, there are people here who do and don't agree with you, but the rule has always been to leave ideology outside. Sam is never one to breach that rule or start an argument.
                          You're right, of course. I really should refrain from discussing my prime minister, the superiority of the Canadian constitution, and the Utopian system created with its unique and singular devotion to multiculturalism. My apologies.
                          Last edited by Majere; Jul 27, '16, 1:49 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

It still amazes me that a seemingly harmless thread can turn on a dime.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

You're right, of course. I really should refrain from discussing my prime minister, the superiority of the Canadian constitution, and the Utopian system created with its unique and singular devotion to multiculturalism. My apologies.
                              Do and don't agree regarding Trek. As in "by reading Fuller, I do agree that's he's going to veer hard in one direction". Not because he has an agenda, but because of this quote

One of the things I love about TV is you can really go hardcore sci-fi because you’re not trying to hit four quadrants.

FULLER: Right, right. And because we’re CBS All Access, we’re not subject to network broadcast standards and practices. It will likely affect us more in terms of what we can do graphically, but Star Trek’s not necessarily a universe where I want to hear a lot of profanity, either.

FULLER: When I first sat down with them, it was “Do you have a plan of what you want to do?” And they said, “No,” and I said, “I have a plan,” and we started talking. And it was wonderful to be working with Alex Kurtzman, who I have a tremendous amount of respect for, and who’s such an elegant storyteller and crafting a story with him that ties in so many elements of Star Trek that I think people will be really excited about because you can look at the original series and pick out episodes we’re using the DNA of and using the spirit of what Star Trek offers, both in terms of high-concept science fiction storytelling and really wonderful metaphors for the human condition.
                              That, to me, is a very bad sign. He's playing to the what he percieves as the home crowd and that's the quickest way to lose people.

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

So Canada is Utopia? WOW...wish I'd known that! I would have moved there instead of back to New Hampshire.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎