Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Also not a fan of the new Klingons. It's like a bit of prosthetic make up overkill. Technology is also WAY too advanced for a period that is supposed to be taking place before Kirk. I like the design of the Shenjou, so, whether i see it or not (which is leaning forwards not), I will be sorry to see it go and replaced by the much bulkier and clunkier (IMHO) looking Discovery.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
      valar morghulis
      • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
      I can't handle the commercials, going to bed and I'll watch it later.

I don't hate it but I'm kind of irritated so I'm not "wow" either. I don't like the new klingons, not that I mind change but I just find they're over done.
      Totally agree. And the writing is SO uptight. Very little felt natural among the characters. Except for Saru, he was a positive exception.

And I know its no easy feat to fill Mark Lenard's shoes, but the actor playing Sarek doesn't even have a fraction of his presence and gravitas.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

I'll be first.

That was...not good. They're using pre-TOS concept to exploit ideas people already know, but everything else is highly modern. The best reference I've seen is "Discovery is as if Abrams rebooted TNG".

And production standards have dropped off a cliff. That was some serious SyFy Channel dialogue.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock

And I know its no easy feat to fill Mark Lenard's shoes, but the actor playing Sarek doesn't even have a fraction of his presence and gravitas.
          This guy was better than the Alias Brit Abrams chose, but nonetheless, it ****es me off the way Lenard's character traits are discarded. The man's voice sold everything.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Well I watched the pilot and the Klingons just bother me. They changed them so much they look like a new species. I am paying enough for my Sat/Internet so I am not going to pay more to watch a series that irks me. Mabey when it comes out on DVD I will give it try, but not right now.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

Ok, I know I'm so old I yell at modern Trek fans to get off my lawn, but wow.....pee yuuu!
              They can yell and scream this is Prime timeline all they want. This clearly was inspired more by JJTrek than anything else.
              Definitely not my cuppa Trek
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Am I the only one who didn't care for the title sequence either? I mean, as much as people hated on "ENTERPRISE"'s opening credits, they were, IMHO, light years ahead of this one. The music, while it attempts to hook people in with Alexander Courage's four familiar notes, seems uninspired and boring. The images---whoop-tee-doo; fancy computer-generated animatics and schematics of the ship, a phaser, a spacesuit, a communicator and big, weird flowery thing? Nope, doesn't work for me. At all. Man, this show makes me REALLY glad that THE ORVILLE is on FOX and FREE!
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I did not even realize it was on last night. after reading the comments I don't even care that I missed it

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

It was slightly less horrible than I predicted...so I won't be signing up for CBS's monthly subscription.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                      Am I the only one who didn't care for the title sequence either? I mean, as much as people hated on "ENTERPRISE"'s opening credits, they were, IMHO, light years ahead of this one. The music, while it attempts to hook people in with Alexander Courage's four familiar notes, seems uninspired and boring. The images---whoop-tee-doo; fancy computer-generated animatics and schematics of the ship, a phaser, a spacesuit, a communicator and big, weird flowery thing? Nope, doesn't work for me. At all. Man, this show makes me REALLY glad that THE ORVILLE is on FOX and FREE!
                      Yeah what were they thinking with the enterprise theme song? A Rod Stewart cover that sounded 10 years out dated back then. Trek always needs a score there is no way around that.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                        I actually thought the title sequence was impressive.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

I hate to be contrary, but I enjoyed the pilot. I'm old school Trek and all, but I think this worked. The characters were unique enough to be interesting, it invoked traditional Trek without just offering the same old episodes. TNG was terrible its first year or two, this is well ahead of that. 1960's sets and what they could do for technology back then would look ridiculous now. It's not flawless, some of the dialog was eye rolling Lucas-bad, but I'm optimistic.

So I'll pay the $6 per month and ***** about it, but I think it's going to be a good show.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

I recorded it and watched it as well. Did the Klingons have to show up in the first episode? Did they have to be yet another version of Klingon? I can't say anything really grabbed me, the dialog was sluggish I felt, and that didn't match the breakneck speed they were trying to get to the action.

If it was going to be on CBS tv for free I'd probably keep the series recording, but there's no way I'd pay to watch it(I don't watch much broadcast TV and the CBS lineup isn't worth it for me) so I deleted the recording.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

I watched the 2nd ep via YT (one of those screen in screen deals, not ideal but I'm good with it ), and I was no more impressed than I was with the first. Just felt like a mess. "We Klingons have to band together and fight the Federation to protect our purity and individuality!!"

Um, what?

The whole sudden Burnham mutiny was just preposterous. And I'm not even close to warming to the character.
                              Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Sep 25, '17, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

While reading reviews here and online I can't help but think of an old Chris Farley Tommy Boy quote with a few replaced words...

If you want me to take a sh_t in a box and call it Star Trek - I can do that, I have the time --- but if you want a quality product watch the Orville

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎