Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

It's really looking Abrams-verse Trek, in spite of what they keep saying.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Okay, I guess the phasers are kinda like the original series, and maybe the communicators.

Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 23, '17, 2:02 AM.

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        The emblem they wear on their chests is the wrong insignia for any ship but the Enterprise! It isn't an universal emblem that the entire federation wore, it was only the Enterprise. Therefor, this isn't canon original timeline. It's an abomination...
        I thought the insignia was only for the Enterprise. Same goes for Star Trek 2009, all Starfleet Officer from any ship or command has the Enterprise symbol.
        ----------------------

It seems the Klingons are the first species to change when something new comes along. Of course, maybe this is the armor uniforms they wore before the time period of TMP.

I will still watch the new Star Trek series. Discovery does show some things of interest, it could all come together and be a good show.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I believe that after the events of the original series, they changed it to all uniforms have the same insignia. it was only the original series and the time period before it that they all had different

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

It may not like this incarnation of Star Trek that some of you like...but it does not look like those cheesey low-budget Sy-Fy shows...it's very Abramesque, like knight errant00 said...
            Last edited by Hector; Jul 23, '17, 4:29 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
              ^ Looks like a cheap made for SciFi Channel show.

No way would I pay one cent more than basic cable to watch it.

Actually, would rather watch just about ANYTHING

Same here! I'm with you Mikey!
              sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                I believe that after the events of the original series, they changed it to all uniforms have the same insignia. it was only the original series and the time period before it that they all had different
                And that's when this takes place, before Kirk was on the Enterprise. So they should have different insignias to reflect what ship they serve on.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

And that's when this takes place, before Kirk was on the Enterprise. So they should have different insignias to reflect what ship they serve on.
                  Both Rodenberry and TOS producer Bob Justman stated back in the day that the Enterprise insignia was always intended for all Starfleet personnel, and the differing insignia seen in some eps were production errors or worn by crew of Federation vessels that weren't a part of Starfleet.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    Both Rodenberry and TOS producer Bob Justman stated back in the day that the Enterprise insignia was always intended for all Starfleet personnel, and the differing insignia seen in some eps were production errors or worn by crew of Federation vessels that weren't a part of Starfleet.
                    I'm not debating he said that... but it simply isn't true.

The arrowhead in TOS is the assignment patch. The Constellation, the Defiant, the Exeter... they all wear a different insignia. Starfleet Command, when depicted, wear yet a different insignia still. Since reusing existing Enterprise uniforms would have been far easier than creating new insignias, it is ridiculous to think that these were production errors. (As an aside, I love the Constellation's isnginia looking like an old timey sailing knot. Especially given the name was supposed to be a nod back to the original US Navy warship.) But outside of the most hardcore Trek fans, most do not know there were other insignias in TOS... to most people, that arrowhead *is* the symbol of Star Trek. So I get why they did it.

I thought the phasers were done the right way. They have the basic look that most casual fans expect from a phaser, but incorporate the triple barrel look from the Cage. It may not exactly fit the timeline, but it showed they were trying. The uniforms, the Klingons, and now the family of the main character... seem to have less respect for the established canon.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Deleted comments...
                      Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 29, '17, 7:32 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

It's being rated TV-MA. I think that is a mistake.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Not a big deal.

Still, there will be more edginess on Discovery than on, say, The Next Generation. “I’m not saying we’re not doing some violent things or doing a tiny bit of language,” Harberts said. “But what’s important to the creative team is the legacy of the show — which is passed down from mother to daughter, from father to son, from brother to brother. We want to make sure we’re not creating a show that fans can’t share with their families. You have to honor what the franchise is. I would say we’re not going much beyond hard PG-13.”

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

I think the entire show is a mistake. It misses the point entirely of what Star Trek is. This garbage is no more Star Trek than adding CGI lightsabers to a Three Stooges short and calling it Star Wars.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by sprytel
                              The arrowhead in TOS is the assignment patch.I thought the phasers were done the right way. The uniforms, the Klingons, and now the family of the main character... seem to have less respect for the established canon.
                              My exact thoughts and feelings and for these reasons I'm out!!!
                              The actual nail in the coffin is a tie between the Klingons and the federation uniforms.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

I bailed on this after the CBS upfront presentation. The reasoning behind it is all wrong.

I'm sure it will have some interesting ideas, but in reality it's the origin of Abram's Trekverse under the guise of TOS.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎