X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Star Trek: Discovery

The show runners for the new Trek TV show announced the show's name at SDCC, and debuted some early ship test footage. The Discovery's design is based on concepts by Ken Adams and Ralph McQuarrie for the ill-fated 1970s Trek project, Planet of the Titans. You can see more about that here:

Before there was The Motion Picture, there was Star Trek: Phase II. And before there was Phase II, there was Planet of the Titans.

• phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I always liked that Starship design and I'm glad to see it finally being used. Not sure I care about a new Star Trek series though.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

To me, everything about that says George Kirk Era. So after Enterprise, before TOS.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

looks a little Klingon-y. The music reminds me of Klingon themes from the movies, too.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• knight errant00
          8 Inch Action Figure
          • Nov 15, 2005

So, will the new show's tagline officially be "Catch STD on CBS All-Access"?

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Reminds me of the Ralph McQuarrie concept art.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              looks a little Klingon-y. The music reminds me of Klingon themes from the movies, too.
              My thoughts exactly...
              sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                Reminds me of the Ralph McQuarrie concept art.
                It is a faithful and direct interpretation of it. Right down to the asteroid dock. Love seeing this concept brought to screen.

Comment

• Majere
                  Banned
                  • Apr 17, 2016

Not feeling it. Not feeling the series, to be honest. I'd love for it to be the best Star Trek series ever, but I just don't have a good feeling about it.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

^Well, put it this way - if you don't like the first season, maybe you'll like the second, since it will be a whole new storyline with different characters in a different time period..

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

I definitely remember seeing the Ralph McQuarrie designs in "The Art of Star Trek." Gotta say this from the heart, the man was, and still is, a design genius, but this design for a Federation ship (which, to me, kinda looks like a Dreadnought class cruiser and an Imperial Star Destroyer bumped uglies and had a love child) never did anything at all for me, so to see it in the trailer just kind of leaves me "meh" and has me sort of feeling like the creative minds behind this are still trying to make STAR TREK be more like STAR WARS (as if J.J. Abrams didn't already contribute enough to that effort).

This ship's design has no---grace. Angles work fine on a Star Destroyer, but not on a Federation ship. The warp nacelle configuration definitely looks like someone from the Federation slipped into some Klingon shipyards and decided to copy the array design. It's---clunky, and in no way looks like it would have followed Archer's Enterprise NX-01 (a ship design I still, to this day, find quite appealing). The huge, triangular connections to the nacelles feel like something that ships prior to Archer's Enterprise may have required before engineers and scientists realized there is no friction in space and the nacelle connections could be streamlined considerably, not only to improve looks and maneuverability, but also to cut down on the overall weight of the vessel, which would, in turn, require less fuel/energy expenditure.

My other problem in watching the trailer is the same problem I'm having with a lot of CG stuff these days: it LOOKS too CG. It's too damn clean. In order to make stuff look more "real," they need to step back and take a look at the footage of ships in space that were filmed using models. Even though they're of course nowhere near the size that they're supposed to portray on screen, models still have weight, heft and, yeah, they're a little dirtier, but that's what real life frequently looks like. The footage in this trailer looks to me to be shots from an upcoming computer game. It's cleanliness and exactness doesn't lend itself to the willing suspension of disbelief that one should be able to experience to even imagine for a moment that what we're seeing is real. I dunno, maybe they'll dirty it up before the show airs.
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 18, 2006

I picked up on the Klingon look and sound too. They originally said this would take place after Undiscovered Country, so maybe it is a Klingon/Federation collaboration on the ship design with a crew combining both?

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                          ^Well, put it this way - if you don't like the first season, maybe you'll like the second, since it will be a whole new storyline with different characters in a different time period..
                          The show is a season long anthology then, like True Detective?

I'm on board with it because I'm a fan of Bryan Fuller, but traditionally Trek fans are creatures of habit who are seeking familiarity in their Trek. Will they buy into a rotating ever changing season long series of shows with new characters/concepts rotating in and out? One way of keeping things fresh and from getting stale and predictable as they often did with many of the previous shows, but it's also as easy to jump off as it is to jump on these kind of programs.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Majere
                            Banned
                            • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by samurainoir
                            The show is a season long anthology then, like True Detective?

I'm on board with it because I'm a fan of Bryan Fuller, but traditionally Trek fans are creatures of habit who are seeking familiarity in their Trek. Will they buy into a rotating ever changing season long series of shows with new characters/concepts rotating in and out? One way of keeping things fresh and from getting stale and predictable as they often did with many of the previous shows, but it's also as easy to jump off as it is to jump on these kind of programs.
                            I can accept any aesthetic changes they make, and have long argued for a more serialized form of story telling.

The thing I am wary of is Fuller all but guaranteeing that this show will serve to further the Leftist politicial agenda that is dominating the entertainment industry at the moment. Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry's progressive ideals have very little in common with that of the new Left, and I would really just prefer people who don't understand Gene's views to leave the politics out of the show altogether, rather than insert their own radically flawed interpretation of it.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

The anthology approach was rumored, but it Fuller has apparently debunked it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎