Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

JDM is horrendous. He's like something out of Con-Air. They tried a meta-explanantion with that discussion between Dwight and Doug(?) where he voiced what the audience was thinking; why would so many people fall in line behind a smartass with a bat, when as a group, they could take him out.

Afterwards, it made me recall the Ezekiel/Carol talk and they're trying to develop a mirror between Ezekiel and Negan, a light/dark contrast of charismatic leaders. One gives delusions of grandeur, the other is a sociopath. Rick is going to be the pragmatist and Xander Berkley will be the spineless politician.

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

I hate the little lean-back JDM is doing every time he emphasizes a word. It's driving me bananas!!
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

So the guy Dwight shot becomes a walker on the fence at the end. I've read a few reviews that assumes Dwight brought his body back. How?

Did I miss a shot that showed him only a block from Sanctuary, because it looked like he rode a few miles to catch up with him. And didn't something happened to his bike? Cuz there's no way a guy as beat up as him could drag 200lbs of dead weight in that timeframe, and the walker showed no signs of a drag, either. Also, he would have turned during that time and Dwight would have had to headshot him.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
          So the guy Dwight shot becomes a walker on the fence at the end. I've read a few reviews that assumes Dwight brought his body back. How?

Did I miss a shot that showed him only a block from Sanctuary, because it looked like he rode a few miles to catch up with him. And didn't something happened to his bike? Cuz there's no way a guy as beat up as him could drag 200lbs of dead weight in that timeframe, and the walker showed no signs of a drag, either. Also, he would have turned during that time and Dwight would have had to headshot him.
          I mean, all Dwight had to do was wait for the guy to turn and get him to follow back to the Sanctuary.

I find myself less interested with each episode. I'm starting to think the writers don't have any interest in figuring out how a group could survive in one place so they make sure Rick destroys every attempt at civilization. It's making me dislike Rick and his group. They're so convinced that nothing will ever work that they make sure it won't. It's certainly become predictable and boring.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

It's just too unbelievable 100's of grown men have Stockholm syndrome over 1 brutal guy.

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

Rick's group could have used snipers, and guerilla tactics , on one of the blocked roads
              but the writers probably don't have any military experience. One sniper can cause a lot of problems for a large group . Negan is too small to be intimidating they should have used
              a bigger actor that doesn't talk so much

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                I mean, all Dwight had to do was wait for the guy to turn and get him to follow back to the Sanctuary.

I find myself less interested with each episode. I'm starting to think the writers don't have any interest in figuring out how a group could survive in one place so they make sure Rick destroys every attempt at civilization. It's making me dislike Rick and his group. They're so convinced that nothing will ever work that they make sure it won't. It's certainly become predictable and boring.
                OK. That would make some sense. I saw it from Dwight's reaction to seeing dude on the fence, as Dwight "set him free" with the shot and took off before falling walkers would swarm the area due to the sound. At the end when Dwight walks outside, he sees the guy wasn't devoured but walked towards Sanctuary. The implication being that without thought of free will, his instincts directed him back to Sanctuary, just as he did last year. That ties into the conversation Negan has with Daryl about when Dwight escaped and returned, the regret she tells Daryll, and Dwight/Dude argument over the slave-control Negan holds over everyone. In other words, once you're in Negan's web you don't get out.

I didn't even consider the gunshot placement actually, (compared to how the guy knelt for a headshot), because the events inner-timing was way off. Negan's reference to how tough Daryl is, Dwight's repetitive actions, Daryl eating like he's starving, all imply they had been working on breaking Darryl for over a week, but the girl talking to Daryl and the Polaroid drop made it closer to two days. I think the original shoot focused on either Daryll's hell, showing nothing of Sanctuary outside his viewpoint, or Dwight's existence with Daryll's hell in the background, and it didn't work so the recut to build up the subplot into two equal main plots.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

I just can't understand why anyone would go to such trouble over brainwashing Daryl. Only thing I can see is to use him against Rick, have him be the one that collects tribute etc. Another form of showing off your power.
                  Same with Dwight, Negan has already taken everything from him yet still has to be a d1ck.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

And what do they have to hold over Daryl? Nothing. He could just pretend to comply and then when they're on a run for supplies or something he'd be like, "Adios motherscratchers!" They got nothing to hold over his head to make him stay once he's been, "broken."

Only thing even remotely interesting about this episode was that it planted a seed, at least in my mind, that Dwight might be the one to take Negan out.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                      It's just too unbelievable 100's of grown men have Stockholm syndrome over 1 brutal guy.
                      But so did Hitler...in a much higher scale.

You don't have to be physically imposing to rule over people...Hitler was a short unathletic slightly pudgy man.

Yes, I hate Negan...can't wait for him to get it...and that's what makes him a great villain to me.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by wise guy
                        Rick's group could have used snipers, and guerilla tactics , on one of the blocked roads
                        but the writers probably don't have any military experience. One sniper can cause a lot of problems for a large group . Negan is too small to be intimidating they should have used
                        a bigger actor that doesn't talk so much
                        You guys are too focused on the physical aspect of Negan. Size has little to no factor in intimidating and ruling over others. If you look throughout history, Hitler, Napoleon, Nero, Mussolini, Stalin, Pol Pot, Elizabeth I, heck, polio stricken Roosevelt...none were exactly physically imposing figures...yet all ruled with an iron hand. Negan, in a much smaller scale, falls into this category.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

But he's not intimidating either. Or rather, JDM doesn't come across as intimidating. The casting just isn't working for some of us.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Here's my pick

Don't know his name but he was a bounty hunter in Devils Rejects

This guy i'd be scared of

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Mikey
                              Here's my pick

Don't know his name but he was a bounty hunter in Devils Rejects

This guy i'd be scared of

Danny Trejo

Regarding Negan, they are trying to bring some smoothness to his character, showing more depth that just being a person to be feared all of the time. Take Dwight for instance, he gave up everything for his wife to survive, then ended up losing everything because of Negan. Negan likes Dwight because he knows Dwight has contempt for him, and it makes Negan happy. He could have just killed him and moved on, but it gives Negan more power, or makes him feel more powerful because he keeps him around. I think Daryl is the same thing, he could kill him, but he'd rather break him, or break him enough to satisfy himself. He thinks he'll be great leverage with Rick also.

I'm not entirely thrilled with season 7 so far, but I'll continue watching it. AMC needs to get their act together to keep the viewers, and I'm hoping next Sunday's 90 minute episode will flesh out more of the story going forward.
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff