Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

This show started out strong and now every season seems to be lather, rinse repeat. There just needs to be a big picture plot line in my opinion. There needs to be a goal other than to survive. I think the characters and actors are great.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

The "bad guy shows up, home gets overrun, group gets divided... then form up to start a new community somewhere else" formula had gone stale. I understand the need to shake it up. And I liked the idea of moving to a period with more established communities and traces of civilization starting to return. They had some interesting pieces to work with. The Kingdom has been pretty enjoyable. The Maggie stuff (and Deeana before that) had the potential to explore the dynamic of "warlord" vs. "politician". But they squandered it. We should have gone instantly from "Negan kills two beloved characters" (which should have happened in the season finale) to "ok, this means war" (which should have been the season 7 premiere). Instead they burned through a whole meaningless season. Worse than that, all of the aborted attempts to deal with Negan-- Karl, Rosita, Sasha-- actually make Negan look like a remarkably restrained guy. A jerk, sure... but they had to do some ridiculous things with the Saviors to give the illusion of plot without actually altering the status quo. "Bury Me Here" was the only episode I will even remember this time next year-- and tellingly, it had no Rick and no Negan.

I hope they get it back on track. But Walking Dead has gone from "gotta watch it Sunday night (oh and let me hear catch the discussion of it on Talking Dead)" to "oh wow, I'm 3 episodes behind... I guess I better watch one to clear some space off the DVR." Not a good sign. Honestly, I'm way more excited about AMC's Into the Badlands, which keeps getting better and better, than Walking Dead.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

This show badly needs a strong, new direction. Some sort of resolution to the problem (a true sanctuary, or a cure/vaccin), or a Last Stand kind of finish, fight to the last man.
        I honestly hope it ends positively, with some peace for our heroes.

Anything but Negan, really.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I'm surprised you never see US Army heavy duty equipment .

Just about every second town in the USA has a National Guard with a few tanks etc.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

They allude to National Guard. You had the Woodbury ep where they ran across a surviving platoon. Fear Walking Dead dealt directly with it the first season.

IMO, the idea is National Guard went in head first putting troops at direct infection. So bodies were brought back to bases which turned, and eventually overran the facilities. Those that were stationed away survived like rat patrols.

It makes sense in that troops wouldn't know you need a headshot to kill, that early in the pandemic. My guess is they don't want to do a full military season as Day of The Dead covered most of that. It would also be impossible for Rick to beat a full platoon, and then you have the fact military would be constantly working on intel as they wouldn't accept the status quo. That would force Kirkman to offer exposition he doesn't want to detail.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
              They allude to National Guard. You had the Woodbury ep where they ran across a surviving platoon. Fear Walking Dead dealt directly with it the first season.

IMO, the idea is National Guard went in head first putting troops at direct infection. So bodies were brought back to bases which turned, and eventually overran the facilities. Those that were stationed away survived like rat patrols.

It makes sense in that troops wouldn't know you need a headshot to kill, that early in the pandemic. My guess is they don't want to do a full military season as Day of The Dead covered most of that. It would also be impossible for Rick to beat a full platoon, and then you have the fact military would be constantly working on intel as they wouldn't accept the status quo. That would force Kirkman to offer exposition he doesn't want to detail.
              Exactly.

Existing military would totally change the dynamic of the show...and it would be a totally different show.

But practically all experts in these things say that if a zombie apocalypse were to ever happen...the military would be the ones in charge...while the small civilian units like Rick and Morgans, would not. The military would initially decimate countless zombie hordes...but eradication would be next to impossible...as anyone dying...would turn...thus having a perpetual zombie population...150K people dying each day globally...the human race would be F'ed either way, lol...
              sigpic

Comment

• great_chandel
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2, 2015

I am just glad Steven Ogg (Simon) survived!! That guy is such a good actor! He looks exactly like someone who would be a right-hand henchman. What is going to be interesting to see will be how long into the next season the writers will wait to introduce "The Whisperers?"

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

In the 1st season of Fear the Walking Dead, wasn't it shown the police or guard knew to kill with headshots? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned by someone.
                  And I think the garbage people may morph into the Whisperers?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                    In the 1st season of Fear the Walking Dead, wasn't it shown the police or guard knew to kill with headshots? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned by someone.
                    And I think the garbage people may morph into the Whisperers?
                    They had to figure it out like everyone else, there is a scene towards the beginning where they or the cops didn't know and learned the hard way.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎