X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Star Trek Beyond Spoilerific Fun Time Playhouse

I found it solidly entertaining, and really liked the emphasis on the inter-relationships between most of the main characters amidst all the crazy action. Kirk and co. did feel like pinballs being bounced around all over the place, but what made it fun was that everyone kept solidly within character as they were all challenged for the most part and put through their paces.

seems like the franchise is in good hands, between Justin Lin directing some really impressive action set pieces and Simon Pegg as a writer who really "gets" classic Trek.

In some ways I felt like Kirk's emotional arc here kind of reflected how the audience has felt about Trek in a kind of Meta way, over the years as the formula has grown a bit tired after so many iterations. I know this film has kind of rekindled my enthusiasm over Trek (like the first reboot film did).

LOVED that Bones and Spock get so much screen time together, and their earnest approaches to their characters makes for wonderful conflict and comedy. The Kirk/Spock relationship is enhanced surprisingly by the amount of screen time to the two spend apart in the film given the unspoken stuff that is happening.

I was initially kind of bleh about the idea that they would blow up the Enterprise yet again, but they did it so spectacularly this time and in a way we haven't seen before from the inside of the ship and from the crew's POV as it fell apart around them, that really put the peril up close and personal. It really isn't something that we've seen before, especially since they get to continue to use it as an action set piece later on as well with the remains of the saucer section.

Yeah, Beastie Boys was cheesy, but I dug it anyways. Ditto Public Enemy.

My one complaint during most of the film was that they really seemed to waste such a great emotive actor like Idris Elba in the Big Bad role by burying him under mounds of latex and forced him to chew scenery. I admire their attempt to try and give him some half hearted motivation and depth at the very end, but it seemed too little, too late, and a rather tired twist at this point for Trek.

I liked the new character Jaylah, and she's got great chemistry with Simon Pegg. Simon Pegg has written himself some really fun stuff for Scotty and he's obviously living a fanboy's dream.

and the wonderful nod to the original crew as well at the very end in that photo.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 23, '16, 12:49 AM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Great review! Thanks for sharing!
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

This felt more like Classic Trek than the previous films. It seems like the characters have settled into their classic personas more. The little things that made this old Trekker cringe in the previous two were gone. Plus, new adversaries, new planets! And the crew actually thinking their way out of their problems, and working together. Great spotlight for the entire cast, and I hope Jayla sticks around, especially since we now have that empty seat, which did make me very sad every time Yelchin was on screen.

Cindy and I really enjoyed it!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I liked the first film, hated Into Darkness and planned to avoid this one. I was invited to go see it this afternoon and didn't have to pay so I went. The heat in my area is especially oppressive today so escaping the heat was also a factor.

The movie was a pleasent surprise. Not perfect but far superior to Into Darkness. I thought the characterizations were good and all the main cast was well served. I do think it was too long.

It looks like, with this cast, the odd number films are the good ones. At least to me.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

We only know the vaguest details about the Star Trek 4 story, but producer J.J. Abrams has already begun to sing its praises.

Looks like JJ Abrams is already teasing out Star Trek 4. Looks like Kirk's melancholy over his father is much more than a character questioning his purpose in life, and is also foreshadowing for the next film. This feels like an exciting possibility for those of us who just watched Thor completely steal just about every scene he appeared in the new Ghostbusters.

If it is time-travel... could we also get Shatner somewhere in there as well for a final Trek onscreen farewell?

J.J. Abrams is already singing the praises of the recently announced Star Trek 4 – this is a game of confidence and of properly setting expectations and promising that if you go see this one, you’ll get more Chris Hemsworth in the follow-up.

We don’t know much about Star Trek 4 (except that it will somehow find a way to awkwardly transform “Trek” into a verb for the final title), but we do know that it will see the return of Hemsworth as George Kirk, Captain James. T. Kirk’s father, who was killed in the opening scene of 2009’s Star Trek.
          JJ Abrams:
          So one of the reasons that I’m hoping [Star Trek Beyond] does well is so that we can, without question, get that movie made. It really is an amazing story. It’s really the reason we made the deal with Chris Hemsworth as soon as we could because we really wanted that story to be told, so fingers crossed.
          Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 23, '16, 10:23 PM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

I'm taking the family tomorrow morning. I'll be pleased knowing many others like it more than Into Darkness, which was...well, not as good as i hoped.

Comment

• jacoblb
              Persistent Member
              • May 7, 2009

I don't have much to add beside stating I liked it. I'm unsure if I liked it more than JJA's 2009 debut. Agreed, it was certainly better than Into Darkness, which is all I hoped for and expected. Interesting that there won't be a Chekov recasting.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Had a great time with this!!

I particularly enjoyed the pairing of crew members to coax more chemistry and character opportunities.

Chekov and Kirk.
                Uhura and Sulu.
                Bones and Spock.
                Scotty and Jayla.

Great work there. Especially nice to have Anton's final performance be so integral with Captain Kirk. The photo of the crew from Ambassador Spock's belongings got an audible and heartfelt "awww" out of me.

I laughed at the jokes. "What is this... classical?" "Yes, I do believe it is"
                I marveled at the wonder of Yorktown Base.

I had a great time at the movies. Jayla is so likeable, I can't imagine anyone complaining if Starfleet fast tracks her to take Chekov's seat. But it was very melancholy to watch Anton Yelchin's wonderful final performance knowing what we know.

Not the best Trek... but a solid return to form.

Comment

• boss
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 18, 2003

I just got back from seeing it. I didn't enjoy it. Lots of action and fairly ridiculous plot. Bummer.
                  Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

I saw it this weekend, and I liked it. The action was at times ridiculous and over the top... but it works on its own merits. The film was clearly aiming for Guardians of the Galaxy, not ST:TMP.

I liked the subtle callbacks like the ripping the shirt and "some say the ship was caught by a giant green hand/" I laughed when they pulled up the schematics for Yorktown Starbase, and there was clearly the Death Star in the background. I thought the reveal that Krall was really the marooned starship captain was very classic Trek (although I wished we got a bombastic Kirk monologue about the nature of human exploration).

I also thought they did a great handling of the Nimoy passing, making it part of the story but letting it happen offscreen and low key. Instead of a photo, they could have used old footage or CGI'ed him into the movie... but sometimes less is more. It does constrain the narrative possibilities to deal with Anton's death, though. I am curious what direction they choose to go with that.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Was the toast, "Here's to perfect eyesight and a full head of hair?" supposed to be a jab at Shatner/Kirk (needing glasses in WOK and his infamous toupee)? I took it as such and laughed.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^I had forgotten that, but yeah, I was thinking that at the time too.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by boss
                          I just got back from seeing it. I didn't enjoy it. Lots of action and fairly ridiculous plot. Bummer.
                          I totally agree!

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Great little popcorn flick,better than the second film,I enjoyed it and I will buy it when it's out.
                            Chemistry between McCoy and Spock is hilarious.
                            This film feels closer to old trek than the other two films.
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Felt more like the new Star Wars, to me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎