X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Stranger Things on Netflix

Anyone else watching this? It's a real amalgam of all kinds of 80's era movies, with a great deal of Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg in the mix, while being very unique unto itself.

Winona Ryder and Matthew Modine are both wonderfully disturbed and creepy in their own ways in this show.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 22, '16, 8:30 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

I could pontificate at length about this show, all the nods and references, but I'll simply leave it at: It's a lot of fun, and you should watch it!
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Yep. My wife and I and one of our daughters started watching it and we all loved it for different reasons. My daughter does not have the frame of reference to enjoy all the nostalgia nods in it, but she loves it on its own merits. My wife loves all the scene with the kids. She thinks the one with the curly hair and slight lisp is just adorable. I love all the cinematic callbacks... The John carpenter-like music (and the 80's soundtrack), the Spielberg-type shots and romanticized sci-fi... It works in a lot of ways for me. Hope there is another season!

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

Excellent series my son and I watched it last week.
        I'm pretty certain there will be a season two,this show is catching like wildfire!!!
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• pmwasson
          Maker
          • Sep 12, 2007

I just finished watching the series and thought it was great. The 80s setting is so pitch perfect!
          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

what a great comeback vehicle for Winona Ryder. She's absolutely terrific in this. Particularly as we see her character progress through the initial tragedy.

I'm kind of filled with nostalgia for the 80's childhood depicted on this show. A time when kids were free to just ride around town on their bikes, hanging out with their friends unsupervised. So many things about this show that just wouldn't fly if this was set in today's world of helicopter parenting and cel phones.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

Just finished this a few minutes ago. Fantastic stuff. Some of the 80s references were a tiny bit forced in spots but they obviously made this series from personal experience. I'm not sure where they'd go from the ending, though. Do they just leave Hawkins and pick up a new story elsewhere or can they actually craft a new one with these characters?

Bottom line, this was a well crafted labor of love that needs to be seen by everyone here. Everyone on this board can relate to parts of this. Some of it hit really close to home for me. Great series.
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• KosmiCKennY
                Igo ugo we all go 4 mego!
                • May 13, 2004

Loved it! Netflix has been putting out some good shows lately!

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    Great stuff, sammy! I posted a somewhat longer message over on the Sci-Fi entry for STRANGER THINGS, but, yeah, it is a damn fine show and, for the most part, really captures the early eighties vibe really well. Whenever I watch it, it's like going back to being a teenager again.
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Finally finished the series last night, great show! Very well done and great performances from all involved, especially the kids.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Just started. On Episode 3 now. Love the opening credits... Very Terminator. So many nods... I won't spoil them all here, but there are some real lifts from Jaws, E.T., Poltergeist, John Carpenter... even a little bit of Joe Dante's Explorers can be felt as an influence.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, there is so much 80's Carpenter, Spielberg, King, etc. in this. And the opening credits and music are so fantastically 80's!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            Oh yeah, there is so much 80's Carpenter, Spielberg, King, etc. in this. And the opening credits and music are so fantastically 80's!
                            The opening credit animation and music are definitely reminiscent of a lot of Carpenter's work from around Halloween on up. I love it.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

to me the logo felt like the kind of seriphed fonts you'd see on 80's Stephen King paperbacks.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎