X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number 6
    Village Idiot
    • Jul 10, 2003

ST:TMP Making Of book recommendations

I was interested in doing some reading on this subject and discovered that there's 2 books on this subject.

There's the 1982 Making Of book by Susan Sackett. I've read portions of this years ago at the library but not the whole book.

One of the things I enjoyed was the detailed backgrounds for the aliens that weren't used in the film. Also, the design of the uniforms make more sense with the explanation of the Sonic Shower (what the Ilia probe materializes in).

But I'm also interested in some of the production problems, particularly the first special effects crew that was fired. But with Roddenberry's name attached to the book I wonder if it's a bit of a puff piece.

Turns out, there's a relatively new book, Return to Tomorrow by Preston Jones from 2014. Apperantly, this was material for a piece in Cinefantastique at the time of the film's release, but for some reason wasn't published. According to the publisher of the book, the material has been updated and the book is over 600 pages.

The down side is that it doesn't have any pictures.

Has anyone here read both books and can comment on which one is better?
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎