Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The character of Chekov will not be recast...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by fallensaviour
    So the I guess this means they must be planning a fourth film then.
    Yes, with Chris Hemsworth returning as Kirk's father...

sigpic

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

To be fair to those who are concerned that even if Chekov will be back---- it won't for this version of Trek...

Well, if a reboot happens within the same amount of time as the current one---- that'd be 2009 plus another 43 years... making 2052 the next time (in that precedented example, at least) that we'd see a new Chekov.

Since 47 or so is the average age for longtime Trek fans on this MM board, any Trek fan feeling Trek has been cheated by not replacing the Chekov actor, would be about 90 years old by the time he rejoined the crew.

90.... years.... old.

So, anyone concerned about Chekov's absence is kinda justified, that is, unless an alternate Chekov somehow comes into play in another fashion.... but, if not, a Chekovite's only hope is that they ... live long and prosper.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hector
        They all died as senior citizens and not during production....total opposite of Anton Yelchin.
        This, precisely. Dude was just a wee kid. Wasn't his time.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Exactly...Yelchin's death was much worse (shocking)...he had so much to live...very sad...
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

They want to reboot around Hemsworth. Lot of talk about end-looping the Pine/Quinto series with George Kirk surviving the opening of Trek '09 at the end of the next sequel. To me, that sounds like the launch pad for the new Trek series. You're back in Trek Prime, pre-Enterprise, but not too far in the past.

I like Pine, but to me he came across as what if Kurt Russel was Kirk. First time I saw Hemsworth was Trek '09 and I instantly thought he had more of a Shatner look and vibe.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

It's sad that Yelchin died, and I liked his performance, but I disagree about not recasting.
              This reminds me of Ledger, where people said "The Joker can never be used again after his unique take on the character and his tragic death".
              People, sadly enough, pass on, but the character can continue.
              To me, it's double sad to also lose the character.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Spyweb007
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 18, 2006

It's really too soon for them to think clearly about replacing Anton as Chekov, I think they could easily explain his absence in the next movie by having him assigned to another ship, even if it's temporary and the can consider recasting for the 5th movie if there is one. It would give everyone a little time to distance themselves from his loss. After all, Chekov was serving on another ship in Wrath of Khan.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Hollywood has proved again and again, NO character will ever die with the actor who portrayed him/her.

It's not good business

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                    It's sad that Yelchin died, and I liked his performance, but I disagree about not recasting.
                    This reminds me of Ledger, where people said "The Joker can never be used again after his unique take on the character and his tragic death".
                    People, sadly enough, pass on, but the character can continue.
                    To me, it's double sad to also lose the character.

I agree. Let's think about this for a minute...they've already "recast" the ENTIRE Crew in 2009...but they can't recast one character??
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                      First time I saw Hemsworth was Trek '09 and I instantly thought he had more of a Shatner look and vibe.
                      I thought the same when I first saw Hemsworth too! I thought he looked more Shatner than Pine. But Chris Pine won me over by capturing Kirk's swagger and attitude as Kirk. Now Chris Pine IS Captain Kirk to me.
                      sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 11, 2014

I actually am thinking that if they're not bringing Chekhov back anyway, having the character die somehow could make for a powerful storyline...a way to emphasize that:

1. things are different in this alternate timeline, and
                        2. bearing that in mind, no one else is safe either.

It would also serve to further emphasize the tragedy of Yelchin's death. I get the feeling they may actually do this.

--SKot
                        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

They could always say Chekov transferred to a ship named Reliant. I'd love to see a CGI Arex on board but there's no need to stop there. Bring on Gary Mitchell, Lt. Riley, Lt. Leslie or a Janice Rand that can co-pilot the ship. We know from the commercials that there are going to be casualties in this film. There were so many under-developed characters from the TV series you could bring a whole new their of characters in. Might as well.

Comment

• johnmiic
                            Adrift
                            • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
                            I agree. Let's think about this for a minute...they've already "recast" the ENTIRE Crew in 2009...but they can't recast one character??
                            It's a question of respecting the actor who made the character come to life. Re-casting is seen as dissing the previous person. In some extreme cases, like Filmation's Shazam! or Darren in Bewitched they had no choice. They kind'a avoid it where they can.
                            Last edited by johnmiic; Aug 4, '16, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by johnmiic
                              Bring on Gary Mitchell
                              Ok, now you're talkin'!! I would LOVE to see them bring Gary Mitchell onboard!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎