Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek Beyond starting off with great reviews...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

%93 Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes!

A surprise attack in outer space forces the Enterprise to crash-land on a mysterious world. The assault came from Krall (Idris Elba), a lizard-like dictator who derives his energy by sucking the life out of his victims. Krall needs an ancient and valuable artifact that's aboard the badly damaged starship. Left stranded in a rugged wilderness, Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto) and the rest of the crew must now battle a deadly alien race while trying to find a way off their hostile planet.
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Looks like Cindy and I may have a rare date day and see this movie this weekend, at her request. So that means I'll have to see it again with Andrew later...so it better be good!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
        8 Inch Action Figure
        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
        Time travel is fine by me...but agreed about the Enterprise being destroyed all the time, enough already, lol...
        If true, this is the weird fail of this series -- they did Khan in their second movie, blow up the Enterprise in their third, and will time travel for the fourth -- following the plot elements for the TOS film crew's ST II-IV. This series really needs to come up with its own iconic moments.

But in spite of that, destroying up the Abramsverse ship would be a selling point for me, ending that visual abomination's reign of besmirching the name Enterprise.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Sorry, I'm not onboard about the "Abramsverse" ship being an abomination...I dig it a lot...my issue is with blowing it up in every friggin movie...including the original and next generation flicks...it's gotten so old...enough of that already.
          sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
            ...my issue is with blowing it up in every friggin movie...including the original and next generation flicks...it's gotten so old...enough of that already.
            That, too. But it's still ugly.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

Saw it last night. It's pretty close to non-stop action. I enjoyed it, but had some minor quibbles with it. I liked the way they use the whole cast in this one. They give every character a purpose.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Really liked it. They really got the Kirk/Spock/Bones trinity right in this one.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  Really liked it. They really got the Kirk/Spock/Bones trinity right in this one.
                  Good to hear...that's the key to Star Trek right there!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
                    Career Member
                    • Mar 11, 2014

That is indeed really good to hear. That's the biggest thing I think was missing from the last movie in particular.

I'll see this film at some point.

--SKot
                    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Here's another review that supports your opinion:

sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                        valar morghulis
                        • Mar 8, 2005

Saw it tonight, kind of a mixed bag for me. Some enjoyable moments between characters, but a thin plot and villain that didn't do much for me. Also, while some of the visuals (poor, poor Enterprise) are pretty astounding, a lot of the action felt familiar and boring after a time. I'd give the movie a solid B.

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

I don't care about critics reviews. I want to hear fans reviews and the referencing of Rotten Tomatoes site says to me: they know the audience they really want to bring back to it. So I caved and had to see it. I liked it a lot.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

It's a very good summer movie, and very Star Trek. It's at least as good as the first reboot, and probably better, making it in the top half of all the Trek movies.

It's doing ok at the boxoffice. I really think Paramount, who is struggling, under promoted the film. Plus when I went, there were very few under 21 in the audience, and that group is where the big $ comes from.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

I think I'm going to go again,maybe this afternoon.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• SKotK
                                Career Member
                                • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                                It's a very good summer movie, and very Star Trek. It's at least as good as the first reboot, and probably better, making it in the top half of all the Trek movies.
                                I would agree with that. I liked the first reboot movie, but that was sort of the origin story movie. This one takes it right to where Star Trek is supposed to be. I thought it was great!

It's doing ok at the boxoffice. I really think Paramount, who is struggling, under promoted the film. Plus when I went, there were very few under 21 in the audience, and that group is where the big $ comes from.
                                They really shot themselves in the foot with that first trailer, which inspired confidence in almost no one, as well as their recent fan relations catastrophe where they killed off nearly all fan film projects in one fell swoop.

I'm really torn over this. I want the film to succeed because it's actually worthy of it, but I also want Paramount to feel the pain of their poor decisions.

--SKot
                                Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎