Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Per-Mego Newsletter... Superboy Pre-orders are available!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by TRDouble
    Still excited since I have been reading some classic Legion of Super-Heroes stories and I hope this leads to some figures of the team.
    I'm just hoping that, if they do the Legion, they use the adult bodies rather than the teen versions. The most popular era for the team was definitely when they were older, in the late 70's-80's, and they'd definitely need the full sized bodies for that. The thought of Saturn Girl's pink swimsuit costume on the teen female buck makes me wince.

As for these figures, they all look good, and the heads look pretty well in scale (SB's head looks a tad large, but not horrid like some recent examples). I really like the sculpts on Ma and Pa especially; they really capture the old Curt Swan/Kurt Shaffenberger look of the Silver/Bronze Age.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I just got The Shazam Wave and I haven't really looked at Jr. yet. I wonder how that body would work for the LOSH?

Comment

• Krypt0nite
        Radioactive!
        • Feb 13, 2010

TRDouble, when you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on Junior. I'm really hoping his noggin isn't oversized.

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

i got those last week ,Shazam jr is really nice ,head sculpt and size is great ,as is costume ,Mary marvel is nice as well this new edition Mary joins
          the sister hood of the same supergirl sculpt (Supergirl,Wonder women,Jane,Lois lane )the emblem is better ,with a black border around it,unlike the
          first one ,and the fringe around the waist arms and skirt are no longer plastic but a clothe material which is also nice ,tape around her hair to keep
          it under controls ,and i hated to look,but no underoos ,unlike the first ,unless they just didnt add that with the one i got.Capt marvel is very good,my
          only beef is that he has squinty eyes ,looks fine for the art work ,but on the figure -so so.Dr sivana looks great all around the "8"body does the head
          justice ,being that it was to large for the smaller body .

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
            TRDouble, when you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on Junior. I'm really hoping his noggin isn't oversized.
            I echo what others have said. I opened Junior and he instantly became one of my favorite new character FTC figures. The head is perfectly sized. Some might not like the detail of the head sculpt, as it gets closer to NECA than Mego, IMO, but it looks really good. I think what we are seeing with the head sculpts in Junior and the Teen Titans (at least Nightwing and Cyborg, the two I opened), is a more modern type of head sculpt. I would say they made the attempt with Barbara Gordon and Batgirl, but they came out way too rough (The Martian Manhunter is just a mess; don't have an excuses for FTC for that). The costume fits great. I love the new belts, although I may cut it down to size once I decide the correct length, but I like having that option; I'd rather have the belt too too big than too small. The cape has a wire in it for posing and looks really nice with the yellow trim and "stars" on the back. A higher collar would have been nice, but it's not enough of an commission for me to complain about it. Maybe when they make a red cape Jr. they will make the collar bigger! The Korak body (the new teen body?) makes Junior an all around home run for me.

Touching base on the other three I opened...

Captain Marvel came out great too. I have some bleed of the yellow lighting bolt onto the red which I don't have in Junior, but it's not a deal breaker. I think the head sculpt came out very good, but it suffers in style next to Jr. He feels more like a standalone figure. The outfit is such a good fit that I might worry about the fit on a Type S body. I would love to see someone replace the elastic with a yellow rope. That would look great on the Captain and Junior.

Nightwing. Wow! He looks much better in person than in pictures. The head is slightly oversized, but he also has 80s big hair, so I don't think it is an issue. It is a great, realistic head sculpt, like CM Jr., and the open mouth looks fine on him, like he is about to issue a command to the Titans. The costume is phenomenal. Lots of effort went into this and the fit is perfect; another that I might wonder how the fit would be on the Type S body. And the sleeves and pants are long, so no riding out like Batman Series 4. My issues with the plug-in gloves and boots are keeping them on (fixable; see the sticky thread in this forum), the size of the hands and the lack of support in the boot (it's all rubber with no hard bottom). These are new one piece gloves and the hand size has been fixed; no more baby hands! The boots are still the same, but they look good and using these boots gives Nightwing the pointy boot tops that regular boots would not; it makes a big difference in looks for me. Unfortunately, the plug-in boots makes the characters bigger, so he towers over regular boot wearing ReMegos. As a huge Nightwing fan, if the head matches the latest Type S run from ZICA, I will be grabbing a costume and head (if available) and attempting to put it on a Type S. But right now, he looks almost perfect.

The Cyborg prototype looked really goofy to me. I didn't think he would work as a Mego. he does. The extra pieces look great and do not limit articulation at all. He has a modern feel, especially his nicely done detailed head sculpt, but the way the exra pieces are done, he retains a Mego charm more so than Nightwing, CM or CM Jr. His choker collar is a separate piece too, but he belt appears glued on, particularly the buckle part. The legs will make moving him a job for customizer though, so it's not a big deal. Mine's belt is a tad off center, but it's still good. The should straps might become irritating, staying on the shoulder right, but that's about the biggest negative with Cyborg.

FTC really knocked these four out the park for me. I still need to get to the other four, when time permits. With these, I think the biggest issue I have with FTC is just the quality of the bodies. If they could fix the tension issue so you could pose the arms, they would be great as is, outside of a few clunkers here and there (BM Series 4 is a HUGE and way to visible clunker; can't have those). If they just developed their own bandless male body and fixed the jutting hip issue that the Type S body has, that would be like printing money for FTC.

Anyway, so far, so good!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
              Radioactive!
              • Feb 13, 2010

Great review with a lot of insight. To my eye it looks like a CC Beck Capt. Marvel standing next to a Don Newton CM Jr. A little jarring, but not unlike the way they were often depicted together in the 70s Shazam series.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                Museum Patron
                • Apr 3, 2015

My Superboy and Luthor figures are out for delivery today!

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Can't wait to see the production samples of these. I noticed the other day when I was looking at Superboy, he actually has the Superfriends Superman costume on but with the traditional Mego boots. Looks good though.

Comment

• tiinacat
                    Museum Patron
                    • Feb 4, 2015

The Original Silver age Superman Red and Blue (or was it bronze?) If they are going to continue the line. Would be very cool and cheap to make. As a variant even cooler.

The only other variant, excluding golden age, would of course be Rainbow Batman. All the colors.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 26, 2009

Silver/ Bronze Age

Jor-El
                      Lara w/ baby Kal-El
                      Lana Lang
                      7" 1st appearance Supergirl
                      Lori Lemaris mermaid
                      Brainiac- green skin, pink costume
                      Zod and other Phantom Zone criminals
                      Metallo- green and orange costume
                      Parasite- purple skin
                      Toyman- Winslow Schott?
                      Prankster
                      Atomic Skull
                      Terra Man- ok that's enough!

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

I think it is time for an updated Superman, much like they attempted to update Batman..

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                          Museum Patron
                          • Apr 3, 2015

My Superboy and Luthor arrived (and Unmasked Batgirl '66, too)!

Comment

• jacoblb
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2009

^ Love it, cool picture!

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Hate Superboy's belt, Luthor's head looks too big and Batgirl... looks pretty decent, actually.

Is the paint apps or texture better on the Barbara head sculpt? I would think it would be a new run, not leftovers from the initial run. Toycade's '66 Batman definitely had improved paint apps compared to the original version.

And is Lex on a teen body too? Maybe that's why the head looks big?

Thank you for the picture!

Comment

• ovenmitt
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 26, 2009

Yeah we need updated Superman and Supergirl figures, too.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎