X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

Martian Manhunter

Okay, is it just me? (Seriously. I'm asking) Are my standards just too high? Am I expecting too much for my money?

Other than stating that I am BLOWN AWAY AT THE SLOPPINESS AND COMPLETE LACK OF QUALITY, I will let the pictures do the talking.

P1050597.jpg

P1050598.jpg

P1050599.jpg

P1050600.jpg

P1050601.jpg
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

1. It is not just you. 2. Your standards are not too high. 3. You are not expecting too much for your money. IMHO.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jacoblb
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2009

Really awful painting by the factory, I hope FTC will offer a substitution that's better made. :(
      That Martian has green boogers.
      With any luck FTC will look at message threads such as this and get proactive about bettering their quality control.
      I personally wouldn't mind FTC slowing down their output if it means a better product, much in the same way I don't mind waiting extra long when ordering my food made-to-order so that the food taste better.

Comment

• megomania
        Persistent Member
        • Jan 2, 2010

He's got a booger in his right nostril. Other than that, it looks like a pile.

Comment

• gummi
          Career Member
          • Dec 2, 2009

You're definitely not wrong. Awful paint job!
          "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

why the heck is the head even painted? It should be cast in correct color.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• rjm118
              Museum Super Collector
              • Apr 25, 2012

I've stopped buying. While I love most of what I've bought I feel like I've thrown a lot of $$ away because the quality is not there. I'm sorry, I am not a customizer and at these prices I don't feel I should have to.swap out bodies or touch up sloppy paint. FTC needs to start paying more attention to quality control.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I think what stands out the most (and what has been showing lately on some of the new heads) is a kind of unfinished surface on some of these sculpts. You can see the remnants of the process to make the head such as the edges on the ears, nose, and brow that are not rounded out, in addition to the tooling pock marks and excess clay indications where the surface did not get smoothed down sufficiently. It really looks like an initial stage prototype instead of a final piece intended for casting. I noticed that too on the Batgirl head. Not so much on the face, but under the jawline and of course the screw up in where the neck insert was suppose to go. There seems to be something of a hurried feel to a few of these or someone not looking closely enough before signing off on them to go to factory. As many figures as they pump out, this could be symptomatic of the volume getting too high allowing for a few to get through not finished as ideally as they normally would.
                Last edited by MIB41; Jul 15, '16, 6:29 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

When you paint action figure heads with cheap paint rollers from Lowes, any criticism you get is deserved.

Like Tbolt said, he should have been molded in green plastic anyway.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

I was very disappointed in MM. And I echo what many have already said:

1. This looks more like a rough sculpt than a finished product;
                    2. The head should have been molded in green anyway;
                    3. If the problem is too much output, then slow down. Wouldn't a company rather hear complaints on how long it takes for new product to come out, than how quickly we are getting shoddy product?

Hopefully, these are isolated incidents with MM, Batgirl and Barbara Gordon, which all share a bit of a rough sculpt quality to them. My Black Vulcan had sloppy paint apps too, but my Flash and Green Lantern came out fantastic! Even Series 4 Batman had good paint apps and a nice finished sculpt.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2011

Maybe they were going more for Shrek.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

Ah, but does he at least have both one left and one right arm?

(flogging the dead horse, I know . . . )

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

Is it possible that your cape is inside out? It doesn't look like the one shown here.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                            Is it possible that your cape is inside out? It doesn't look like the one shown here.

It was. That was an easy fix.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by gummi
                              You're definitely not wrong. Awful paint job!
                              And the paint job aside, this is one of the roughest, sloppiest and unfinished sculpts I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎