Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo to release new classic NES system with 30 built in games.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Our local Wal-Mart only got 6 of them. I called the night before, lady told me they would not be putting them out at midnight, rather at 7am. My wife went at 7am and found out they did put them out at midnight.... Liars!

She then went to Gamestop and the manager there told us he was going to put a sign on the door to let everyone know how many they would have. The sign said 12 and two extra controllers. My wife waited until it opened and got one NES and one controller. Why on earth they would only send 2 extra controllers is beyond my comprehension....

She did said a lot of people showed up and a lot of people were walking away unhappy.
    Last edited by drquest; Nov 17, '16, 8:02 AM.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I can't see this helping Nintendo's reputation at all, what a crappy way to release this. I really want one, but I'll wait until the hype dies down. One good think, hopefully all this demand will make them make an SNES version next year, that's what I really want!

Comment

• megomania
        Persistent Member
        • Jan 2, 2010

Nintendo does this with every launch....create demand, short retailers, and encourage scalpers.

Amazon was a joke...they put their limited stock on sale at 2PM here in Seattle and by 2:15 their servers had crashed. I tried adding one to my cart about 20 times and every time it would say I had nothing in my cart. Whatever stock they had was gone in about a minute.

Total fail, but I'm fine with my original NES and much better games than they are including

-Chris

Comment

• megomania
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
          I don't know if that's the word. Nintendo seriously under stocked retail (Wal-Marts getting 8 units) to create a buzz and the scalpers descended like the plague. I heard stories of fights and lots of other under handed tactics. Sleazy as hell.

I totally wanted one but seeing people sell them for $800 online turned me right off. My family will not be purchasing one when they come back in stock. Social media backlash on Nintendo is not good.

Also, trying to name Veteran's Day "Nintendo Day" was an epic fail IMHO.
          You are totally spot on - "sold out" on launch day because Nintendo planned it that way by giving major retailers like Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, TRU less than 10 units in a lot of cases. Lines of 100 people at some Targets here in Seattle. Created a demand hype like this thing was a limited edition. Funny thing is, NES games get boring after about 10 minutes (and they included some slow crap games on this unit) because of what's available today on Xbox, PS, etc. The nostalgia/hype factor will wear off and I'll bet these things will be hitting ebay used for chump change in no time.

$800? I saw them for $2,500 - $5,000 on ebay the morning of the 11th.

I won't be buying one either...was going to but not after this.

-Chris

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I do seem to recall this happening with the Wii as well.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I'm swallowing my pride...when it's mass-released, and available for $60...I'll get one...
              sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

yesterday we managed to score two of them at Walmart $100 each taxes in.
                We got one for our kids and one for my wife's cousins kids.She called her cousin up who's been looking for once since launch like we were and she was just over the moon with excitement for the kid (they live 5 hours out of town in a small community).
                Our kids opened it up tonight and were just excited to play.Set up took like 5 minutes tops.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I want one...but I'll wait when the hoopla subsides...and can be bought at original sticker price.
                  sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

My youngest opened his on Christmas and was really surprised, and has probably played it everyday. We were able to get the additional controller, and a little case to keep it in. The factory controller cables are very short so getting extenders is probably a good idea.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• starsky
                      veteran member
                      • Aug 26, 2007

i'm still waiting it out as well. not going to pay scalper prices. must resist.....

Comment

• fallensaviour
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 28, 2006

We picked up extra controllers as well (9' cables), on a side note for anybody wondering if it hasn't been mentioned the wii controllers also work instead of buying nes controllers.
                        This system has seriously been getting played everyday so far.
                        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

I finally got one of these (my uncle works at Best Buy and lucked upon a small stash). Very fun but the controller cords are ridiculously short, luckily I have a 10 foot HDMI cable to use with this so that we can sit more than two feet away from the TV. Apparently these can be hacked to play more games, I'm going to have to do some research on that.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎