X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

elstree 1976 star wars documentary

full disclosure ive no interest or connection to star wars at all ,saw them back in the day and thats about it,so i don't know if this is old news or widely known ,and i found this film totally by title alone ,hoping it was going to be about the golden years of british film lol ,but it was fascinating ,ive had a connection with the memorabilia circuit since the late 1980s ,back when the "talent "was a added bonus not the sole focus ,but this film highlights the rise of the background artist as a convention staple ,and the delusion ,jealousy and bitterness that exists in some of their minds ,sad facts like prowse being barred from some disney star wars events,and some great stories of people just happy with their lot in life ,anyway a great watch for anyone fan or not

a brief selection of a couple of reviews of the film

Because these people were a part of something beloved, fans assume—and some of the actors themselves wish—that they’ve had remarkable lives and careers. Instead, the reality for many of Star Wars’ bit players has been far more mundane, although at least that one key credit has allowed them to make a little extra cash and enjoy some rosy nostalgia on the convention circuit.

Aside from the making-of material, Elstree 1976’s strongest pieces involve the conventions, where a hierarchy has developed even among Star Wars’ small-timers. Actors with speaking parts resent sharing space (and appearance fees) with extras. And everyone’s annoyed that the longest lines tend to be for the people whose performances were almost imperceptible under their rubber masks and tin helmets. Even David Prowse—the man under the dark suit and helmet, and by far Spira’s biggest get—has some gripes with the way he’s been treated on the circuit, though only because he says Lucasfilm has barred him from some of the bigger events for signing his autograph, “David Prowse is Darth Vader.”

Visually, Elstree 1976 is often striking, thanks to some haunting extreme close-ups of these actors’ Star Wars action figures, as well as what appears to be a deliberate attempt to match the grain in the old movie footage with the style of the new interviews. The film looks handsome throughout, and in a way that connects the subjects’ current lives with their most famous gig. It all adds to the idea that Star Wars was both the best and the worst thing to happen to its low-level supporting cast.

Still, it’s hard not to wish that Elstree 1976 was weighted more toward “What was it like to make Star Wars?” and less toward “What’s it like to be an aging out-of-work character actor?” Plus, given how much much some of these people dispute each other’s claims to being a part of the Star Wars legacy, it’s a shame that Spira didn’t put them in the same room to argue it all out. Perhaps those scenes will come in the sequel, where all the participants gather once again to talk about the experience of being in Elstree 1976.

it was just like another job but we looked wierd

Spira maintains a warmly affectionate tone throughout, showing commendable restraint given that some of his interviewees would fit right into Extras, the Ricky Gervais TV comedy about the mundane world of bit-part players. Indeed, one of his recurring interviewees, Derek Lyons, looks and sounds uncannily like a Gervais creation with his rambling ruminations on life, the universe and “Zen swimming.” The farce is strong with this one.

The film’s star interviewee is Darth Vader himself, David Prowse, who traded a weightlifting career to work as an actor for major directors including Stanley Kubrick and Terry Gilliam. But after hanging up his lightsaber, Prowse fell out with George Lucas over multiple issues, including claims that he was never paid his pre-agreed profit share. Now banned from attending official fan conventions, his colorful life story merits its own full-length documentary instead of this frustratingly brief snippet.
    Last edited by libby 1957dog; Jul 12, '16, 6:43 PM.
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

they were making confessions from a holiday camp there at the same time and robin askwith saw darth vader walking towards him and thought what is this then he heard the voice hello robin in his west country accent and he said i could see why they used james earl jones voice,dave prowes' just didn't work.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Looks like that will be a fascinating movie.

The conflicts between the supporting actors and extras regarding their convention circuit appearances will make compelling viewing.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• libby 1957dog
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
        Looks like that will be a fascinating movie.

The conflicts between the supporting actors and extras regarding their convention circuit appearances will make compelling viewing.
        yeah my sarcasm meter is broken so im not sure of your intent
        but taking it at face value ,yeah i found the back story fascinating ,

seen a lot of these guys and had tables near them at many shows over the years ,prowse ,bullock ,kenny baker ,tom baker ,caroline munro ,ingrid pitt ,shane rimmer ,and for some this movie series was a golden ticket to financial security into their old age,which is sad and awesome at the same time
        sad if you have seen dave prowse shuffling from table to table before public admissions, in great pain to buy vader items from you to sign and sell on his table, i still have a green cross code man badge i found for him but never had chance to show him ,shows changed and the divide between talent and show became great ,and awesome that he gets so much love and attention in his later years when most old folks are ignored and that he makes a comfortable living from it
        ,for some others it was a story that i dont think could happen now a days ,youngish guy turns up for a casting for what was thought to be a b or c list space opera a week or two's work , and years later find out its a juggernaut of popular culture and their small part in its creation can and will be celebrated , and offer them the chance to profit from it by recognition and money in their later years ,some of these guys had action figures made of them ,too cool
        now if only mego hadn't turned down that space flick back then ,we might have been able to recognize them
        Last edited by libby 1957dog; Jul 14, '16, 4:08 AM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

I was indeed serious... I will watch this with the utmost interest.
          I've met so many of the SW supporting actors over the years (as well as the extras that were just in the background in masks and stuff)... so learning more about the wrangling that goes on behind the scenes of the convention circuit will be fascinating.

sad if you have seen dave prowse shuffling from table to table before public admissions, in great pain to buy vader items from you to sign and sell on his table, i still have a green cross code man badge i found for him but never had chance to show him ,shows changed and the divide between talent and show became great ,and awesome that he gets so much love and attention in his later years when most old folks are ignored and that he makes a comfortable living from it
          I once took him an old Bullworker booklet which had a picture of him in it endorsing that venerable old piece of exercise equipment back when he was at the height of his physical prowess. He seemed to get a kick out of that.

And all my Vader autographs do indeed sport his usual inscription "Dave Prowse IS Darth Vader."
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• libby 1957dog
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 3, 2009

great stuff ,always hard to read someone's intent in a post ,email or text lol
            seems like we are on the same page and similar background when it comes to shows and background artistes
            let me know what you think of the film when you get chance to cheers
            great story about the bullworker ,here's the green cross code man badge i had for him ,he says in the film that GCCM was the thing he was most proud of as it significantly reduced child deaths from road accidents, a nice way for him to be remembered ,says he still has the costume

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I'll never forget going to my first convention called Lex-Trek in Lexington, Ky. It was in the early 90's and Star Trek was more on a roll at that point than Star Wars. They had Mark Gooddard (aka Don West from Lost in Space), Walter Koenig, and David Prowse as guests. Everyone was lined up to meet Koenig and Goodard. And while I was speaking to Mr. Prowse, there was literally no one behind me. They had to get on the PA system and ask people to come over and meet him while they waited to get autos from the other guests. So while it seems like Star Wars has never really left the spotlight, I can vividly remember a time when the license appeared to be running out of steam and there was a bit of disinterest in the whole concept because nothing appeared to be in development (movie-wise) and that original trilogy was going to be all that was talked about. Times clearly changed.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                I can vividly remember a time when the license appeared to be running out of steam and there was a bit of disinterest in the whole concept because nothing appeared to be in development (movie-wise) and that original trilogy was going to be all that was talked about. Times clearly changed.
                Indeed, there was that 10 year period where "Star Wars not being a fad" was a fad indeed.

Never again.

In our lifetime, anyway.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by huedell
                  Indeed, there was that 10 year period where "Star Wars not being a fad" was a fad indeed.

Never again.

In our lifetime, anyway.
                  Exactly. You know it's really interesting. So many things that were once considered "uncool" or completely irrelevant in the 80's and early 90's are now iconic or even "legendary". It's so funny to see the cycle of fads or just general opinions of things in pop culture shift as each new generation comes in. In the 80's Bee Gees records were being burned, now they are in the Hall of Fame. Paul Stanley couldn't get a backstage pass to Live Aid in the 80's, but now he's in the Hall of Fame and it costs $1,500 to see him in a meet & greet. They're making figures today of films that bombed in the 80's like Flash Gordon and Big Trouble in Little China. I remember when people everywhere use to laugh at the Flash Gordon song by Queen. Now it's a cult classic and is legendary because the character appeared in this huge comedy decades later. And then of course we have Star Wars and it's chaotic history of going from phenomenon to dated sci-fi to promising prequels to deplored prequels to nostalgia behemoth. There seems to be this cycle most things have to go through where if they are loved today, they will surely be loathed tomorrow, outcast completely, and then somewhere along the way find a new audience and the ones who trounced them will forget their hate and say, "Oh yeah, I remember them being really cool." There's a kind of hypocrisy to society's love of things because it all seems to get initially celebrated to overkill, then burned to the ground before being built back up to icon stature. Is it little wonder that when you see some of these actors and singers they look beat up and gun shy to the attention. There's this kind of "Are you sure this time?" look to their face. I think being adored, scorned, outcast, then suddenly loved again is a ride I would personally just assume miss. Just being a fan of many of these things has been enough of a ride in their own capacity. LOL.
                  Last edited by MIB41; Jul 21, '16, 5:34 AM.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Is it little wonder that when you see some of these actors and singers they look beat up and gun shy to the attention. There's this kind of "Are you sure this time?" look to their face. I think being adored, scorned, outcast, then suddenly loved again is a ride I would personally just assume miss. Just being a fan of many of these things has been enough of a ride in their own capacity. LOL.
                    On that note, I'd like to quote a very obscure cult favorite of mine:
                    "You should be loyal to your heroes." - Sammi Curr
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

On that note, I'd like to quote a very obscure cult favorite of mine:
                      "You should be loyal to your heroes." - Sammi Curr
                      Trick or Treat! Classic movie. I would say people like you and me (and most here) believe in that statement.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Trick or Treat! Classic movie. I would say people like you and me (and most here) believe in that statement.
                        I believe in that to a fault (I'm still a fan of a few artists who some would call "monsters" for what they've done in their "real" lives).

I'd like to think that many others feel that way too ... but I see more "kicking a once loved celeb when he's down" then I'd like to on the Net... if not around here, then on the Net overall.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I believe in that to a fault (I'm still a fan of a few artists who some would call "monsters" for what they've done in their "real" lives).

I'd like to think that many others feel that way too ... but I see more "kicking a once loved celeb when he's down" then I'd like to on the Net... if not around here, then on the Net overall.
                          That's true. But I think allot of that is the nature of the internet. It makes critical warriors out of the most passive of patriots. Can you IMAGINE what the internet would have done to the likes of KISS or the Bee Gees in the 80's? It was like ANYTHING that came from the 70's was ridiculed. I think the only actor that actually gained more popularity was Stallone. But oddly allot of those films in the 80's are ridiculed today. But then you have movies like Halloween III that were HATED back in the 80's that are considered classics today. I think Star Wars really just died out due to nothing new in the movie line. For me personally, I tend to stay liking most everything that appeals to me. There are a few exceptions (mostly in 80's music) but everything else I stay pretty consistent on. If I liked it as a kid, i still like it today. I normally had pretty good reasons for liking most things. I was not a fad oriented person. If something happened to be popular that I liked, then so be it. But when it fell out of favor, i didn't follow. I stayed liking those ideas.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

That's true. But I think allot of that is the nature of the internet. It makes critical warriors out of the most passive of patriots. Can you IMAGINE what the internet would have done to the likes of KISS or the Bee Gees in the 80's? It was like ANYTHING that came from the 70's was ridiculed. I think the only actor that actually gained more popularity was Stallone. But oddly allot of those films in the 80's are ridiculed today. But then you have movies like Halloween III that were HATED back in the 80's that are considered classics today. I think Star Wars really just died out due to nothing new in the movie line. For me personally, I tend to stay liking most everything that appeals to me. There are a few exceptions (mostly in 80's music) but everything else I stay pretty consistent on. If I liked it as a kid, i still like it today. I normally had pretty good reasons for liking most things. I was not a fad oriented person. If something happened to be popular that I liked, then so be it. But when it fell out of favor, i didn't follow. I stayed liking those ideas.
                            As we know: I'm not normal.

Turning on your heroes is tradition... Internet or not. It's considered "normal" and "healthy" to "move on"-----and, since people like to feel better about themselves, pop icons are the perfect thing to build up and tear down.

It's not just nostalgia that has me defending time-worn actors, musicians, artists and their projects etc. that most would write off as "pathetic"... frankly, I couldn't live with myself otherwise. So many people seem like hypocrites to me in that regard.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

As we know: I'm not normal.

Turning on your heroes is tradition... Internet or not. It's considered "normal" and "healthy" to "move on"-----and, since people like to feel better about themselves, pop icons are the perfect thing to build up and tear down.

It's not just nostalgia that has me defending time-worn actors, musicians, artists and their projects etc. that most would write off as "pathetic"... frankly, I couldn't live with myself otherwise. So many people seem like hypocrites to me in that regard.
                              Oh I agree. When I like something there's normally a quality in the production, delivery, or just a general appeal in the craft of the product that stays with me throughout my life. Allot of films hated in the 80's I loved. I liked Superman III, Halloween III, Big Trouble, The Thing remake, and LOVED the Flash Gordon movie. And then of course there's Kong '76 which I prefer over any version out there. There's a quality to the story telling in those films that goes against type and in most instances I catch the spirit of what's being conveyed so those films stay interesting to me. Music does that in a similar fashion but there are some things that were more image driven in the 80's that don't hit me in the same vein today because...well... I'm allot older and perhaps the qualities of why i liked those songs were more anchored in my youth than the merits of the song itself. So there have been some deviation for me in that arena. I will say most anything from the 60's and 70's has remained solid for me in music. The 80's is a little more chaotic in terms of quality (for me). Video seem to be such a primary medium to drive those songs, so some have survived that era and stood on their own, others have not.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎